PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Fitment - 6" driver in a 5x7" hole...

mrpayner
19-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Yo!

I have a question regarding sound quality I guess.. I listened to the JBL 3-way 6" drivers the other day and thought "wow!"... What I want to know is;
- If I decided to go these for the front doors instead of 5x7", would I then have to fill the remaining gaps around the frame of the speaker to improve quality with something as the hole is originally for a 5x7?
- Would suitable sound deadening on the outer skin of the door be sufficient or at least a good compromise if I don't fill the gaps around the frame?

It's also a pity that the existing holes can't be used, it would seem.. :(

Regards
AP

Zed
19-02-2004, 11:14 PM
It's fairly simple to mount a 6" driver in a 5x7 hole. What you'll need to do is make up a MDF baffle which you'll screw to the door over the existing hole. The 6" speaker can then be mounted to the MDF baffle itself, with the appropriate cutout in the middle.

I've got a pic around somewhere of some MDF baffles I made up for my SP20, I can email it to you if you like.

Dogo
20-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Would suitable sound deadening on the outer skin of the door be sufficient or at least a good compromise if I don't fill the gaps around the frame?

it'll still be better than nothing. Some sound deadening paint should do it.

i reccomend the outer shell of the door too.

mrpayner
20-02-2004, 06:21 PM
What you'll need to do is make up a MDF baffle which you'll screw to the door over the existing hole.

Crap.. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that.. Wouldn't that push the driver out too far and consequentially make the door trim not clip in fully?

i reccomend sound deadening the outer shell of the door too.

Yeh.. that's what I meant when I said "outer skin" of the door.. I saw this spongy rubber based material at the local repco that they had sitting on their tool cabinets for non-slip purposes.... about a ¼ to a ½" thick. I think that a nice big square should do the trick with a nice helping of Arildite glue on the outer shell of the door.. :D

AP

Zed
20-02-2004, 06:25 PM
It depends on how much room there is behind your door trims. 6mm MDF should be solid enough without pushing your speakers too far out.

In terms of sound deadening, there's plenty of good self-adhesive matting around that will do the trick - G-Spot, Dynamat, SoundOff, Brownbread (from Jaycar), Flashtac (from Bunnings).

Cosmo Dude
20-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Just put the speaker on its side and stand on it untill 6X6 becomes 5X7, should fit straight in :lol

Dogo
21-02-2004, 10:59 AM
LOL

u better stay away from my speaker collection Cosmo :wink:

if u do make a mdf baffle, i most definitely recommend sealing it from water by painting it. I've had one that i didnt seal and the wood get moisture in. its starts to rot and expand. not the worst thing that could happen i guess, but undesirable.

mrpayner
21-02-2004, 11:05 AM
OK... thanks all.. I'll investigate the MDF... I can use the programable router at work to recess the speaker in a little bit so it's nice and flush.. paint it all matte black and it should look swoit!

Cheers
AP

Dogo
21-02-2004, 05:52 PM
geez i wish i had a router like that available to me !!

... i wonder if u can hire them ... never thought of it.

mine is just a normal hand-held one. no fancy stuff here :(

mrpayner
21-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Heh.. you're going to love this! The pic below is the fully computerised programable router.. :D

http://www.amihotornot.com.au/album/photos%5C18162-2004221212817.jpg

It can do anything and everything! NICE!

AP

Pernod
22-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Crap.. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that.. Wouldn't that push the driver out too far and consequentially make the door trim not clip in fully?

Um, yes. I have exactly that issue :-/ More so in the back doors than the front.

platypus
25-02-2004, 10:40 AM
have you looked at JBL's 3 way 5x7's??

if where ever tell you they can't get them smack them in the head, and then tell them to answer your question again....if they still say no, go back to start

i bought the 6 inch for mine, and then found out that the speakers were 5x7.. v. pissed off now, and i wish i had of got the right speaker...

anyway i just got MDF 6mm placed over hole on inside and screwed an bolted through newer holes... made hole for 6 inch speaker and mounted.... then removed again, and painted with sound deadener... all over MDF

came up good, but not 100%, and you still need tweeters for good fill

Pernod
25-02-2004, 11:13 AM
the 6" will give you better quality than the 5x7 so I would feel to bad!

mrpayner
25-02-2004, 12:37 PM
have you looked at JBL's 3 way 5x7's??

if where ever tell you they can't get them smack them in the head, and then tell them to answer your question again....if they still say no, go back to start

I thought there was a 3-way 5x7.. The dude told me there one wasn't available.. Have you got a model number at all mate as the JBL (http://www.jbl.com/car/products/category.aspx?cat=mel) hasn't got the 3-way speaker listed in their product listing..

I guess this begs the next quesiton then.. 3-ways are better than 2-ways? My bro is telling me that they're not, but i don't know..

I know that quality wise the 6" will give a better sound than a 5x7 for some reason.. But if it's due to the shape of the speaker, why do so many people get 6x9's then? :roll:

Cheers
AP

Pernod
25-02-2004, 12:52 PM
6x9s are so popular as they give more bass (at the expense of quality).

platypus
25-02-2004, 01:19 PM
GTO8626 (http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO8626&ser=GTS&cat=MEL)

that should help you... fitment should be fine... its been made to fit into a larger hole.... at worst case may require trimming of the metal surround... meh

sorry its only a 2 way, but does have an adjustable cone, and retails for US$119.95 (pair) thats only $150 for the pair!! app.

mrpayner
25-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Ah.. yeh.. I knoew about the 5x7 2 -ways.. that's why I was debating getting the 6" 3-ways all around

AP

Zed
25-02-2004, 11:32 PM
When you're talking coaxial speakers, there's no real advantage of 3-ways over 2-ways. It's mostly marketing.

In any case, when choosing speakers, don't get distracted by the specs or the salesman, have a listen to the speakers you're interested in and choose the pair that you like the sound of best.

mrpayner
27-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Yes.. i agree.. I listen to these JBL's on the wall and also the equivelent pioneer and sony speakers and the JBL seems to have a warmer sound and the bass is a lot more prominent too...

AP

Pernod
29-02-2004, 07:45 PM
mmmmm JBL's :-)