PDA

View Full Version : The great tablet debate...

marcs_sp20
22-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Hey guys,

As we are now into the silly season, its time to buy the wife a present she will use, and something for the kitchen wont cut it :p One suggestion I have received was either an iPad2 or an Android tablet, which leads me to think, which one is better?

A bit of background, the missus already has an iTouch which is mainly used for music playback & games. A couple of months ago we had her phone upgraded to an Android OS phone, which she finds easy to manipulate and also very easy to use. Confused as I am yet? Read on...

As we both have android phones & not being a fan of apple products, my choice would be android tablet, but considering how she likes the ability of re-using apps already purchased for the iTouch is great as well..

So, which way would you go, Apple iPad 2 or Android Tablet, and obviously what tablet?

Cheers
Marc

Clean_Cookie
22-11-2011, 07:03 AM
Android tablets are far cheaper apps wise from what I've seen. That leaves more money for my present :p

mikey_something
22-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Greater range of apps on the iPad, they aren't that expensive? Also about once every three weeks there's a 10 - 20% off iTunes vouchers at woolies.
I personally think the iPad is a cleaner more refined product.

I don't really like using android OS. Despite the fact they're almost mirror images of each other I still find apples better.
Was it you who was saying you has an apple TV in the other thread?
If so then definitely the iPad. Wireless full HD streaming and mirroring for photos, apps, movies.

marcs_sp20
22-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Nah it was Mad Matt that said he has an Apple TV.

We had a look at what WOW had on offer last night, and really I cant decide aye, both have there pro's & con's, are around $550 and offer just as much as the other. I think the only benefit the Ipad has over the android would be iTunes, yes I know the software sucks, but im talking about the store as a whole, a heap more content than what android can offer.

Bah, im just confusing myself more :confused:

mynameisdaniel
22-11-2011, 08:34 AM
The biggest thing that convinced me when I got my iPhone was how long it would last.
Android devices seem to come out every week and they forget about old devices after a couple of updates.
Apple products keep getting updated with more and more features until they're actually outdated hardware wise.

Clean_Cookie
22-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Xda developers for software.

phildough
22-11-2011, 10:28 AM
The new Asus EEE transformers are nice and there is a new one coming called the Asus EEE Transformer Prime which looks awesome.

Clean_Cookie
22-11-2011, 10:29 AM
That's just such a terrible rip off name...

phildough
22-11-2011, 10:41 AM
I know, WTF where they thinking!!!
I have already passed my feedback on the name to the Asus reps.

LTN000
22-11-2011, 04:14 PM
The biggest thing that convinced me when I got my iPhone was how long it would last.
Android devices seem to come out every week and they forget about old devices after a couple of updates.
Apple products keep getting updated with more and more features until they're actually outdated hardware wise.

lol this is funny as apple lost a law suit when it released the first few ipods as they were specifically designed to cease working after a year when the battery would no longer hold charge requiring their customers to basically buy a new one if they wanted to continue using their product.

I dont agree with the software issue either as your right their is constantly new android hardware being released and they are usually upgradable to the next 2 software releases (never heard of this on the iphone) the software upgrades are generally to fix bugs in their previous software not to unleash features.

Nonetheless as previously mentioned being open sourced you can manually upgrade your android device's software using xda developers or alike which again is not possible with apple's highly restrictive products.

Basically u have to think what she's gonna use it for..itunes annoying as it is once you have it, its very hard to go back but at the same time if your not really gonna use it for music playback then its not an issue (you can also download aac player which will play itunes formatted songs)

My biggest issue with apple products is data transfer and compatibility, with an android device it mounts like an usb drive allowing data transfer to virtually anywhere or anything unlike an apple device which only likes communicating with other apple products.

Price is another factor (apple products are generally overpriced when compared to similar or better android products) e.g. samsung galaxy s II = ~$600 Iphone 4S 16GB =~$800

All in all find out what your gonna be using it for and if your not already too deep in the apple hole get out while you can :)

mattylagana
22-11-2011, 05:03 PM
you Can also jailbreak the apple ipads and that means free aps, like tomtom, games, karmasutra ( misses may enjoy it ) not me personally :$

phildough
22-11-2011, 05:18 PM
ARRRGGGH Marc, you started another Apple VS Android war, but it looks like Android might win this one as I hate itunes as well.
Having to have 2 music collections BITES.
Im not converting my WMA, mp3, WAV and FLAC files into another much lower quality file that my car stereo and phone cant and wont play.

Ben
22-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm not gunna vote, I'm just going to say this...

I'm a apple fag boy, why, cause I like the easy-ness of it. Basically I don't argue the android vs apple... I've had both phones and I personally like the os of apple better. That Is the only reason.. Its a personal preference. Much like some people like to wear brand clothes and others wear stuff from big w, its all clothes isnt it??? So this leads me to my point, get her to decide what she likes to use better... apple or android... you said she had both already, so it really depends on what she prefers in tablet form..

P.s "sent from my iPad" no jokes.

70NYD
22-11-2011, 10:10 PM
man i cant vote. im with ben, i like iOS becasue a i had it for years and b it is easy to use.
i do know that i only love the ios once its jailbroken, before then its just ok

chicaboo
27-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Asus Transformer Prime: A qauadcore beast with optional keyboard/dock to turn it into a netbook with "16 hours" battery life, nuff said... :D

marcs_sp20
29-11-2011, 01:34 PM
So I have dexided to go with an android tablet, the Asus Transfromer with keyboard dock, which is $479 :D