PDA

View Full Version : MP3 on the cheap

st11x
25-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Hi,

I have a stock tape deck/radio receiver and equaliser on my BG SP, and is looking to add a MP3 player to the mix.

I'm wondering how easy/good is it to fit this.

1) A cheap amp unit from (A$44) SuperCheapAuto - 200watt, 1 stereo RCA input, 4 speaker inputs, 4 speaker outputs. Didn't notice an output for the subwoofer.
2) A reasonable portable MP3 player (maybe for a 100).

The output from the tape desck/radio receiver will go into the amp as well.

Thanks
Matthew

ezin
03-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Well thats what u would do if u were on the dol!

Save some cash and get a proper sys!

Dont waste ur money on crap!

Go to jaycar before supercheap crap man!

Nate
05-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Well thats what u would do if u were on the dol!

Save some cash and get a proper sys!

Dont waste ur money on crap!

Go to jaycar before supercheap crap man!

Hey what about the poor uni students hear!!!

I have a top system planned for my car but atm its just gonna have to wait. I am looking at one of them cheap mp3 players on ebay (around $50) and if it lasts 6 months until i get a new system then i consider it well worth the money. just my 2 cents worth anyway

Pernod
05-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Good call, I think ezin was a bit harsh :-)

To answer the original Q, yes it should work.

As suggested the quality may not be great, but anything is better than nothing.

check out www.mp3car.com for some good advice and ideas (although most of them are into more detailed stuff, it still may be worth the look).

Shane.

Cosmo Dude
05-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just burn a fiew CDs and suffer changing them once or twice????

Pernod
05-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Um, yes ;-) but the proposed mp3 system still allows for the mp3 player to be detached and used seperatley.

Nate
06-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just burn a fiew CDs and suffer changing them once or twice????

I'd love to use CD's but i still havent figured out how to fit them into the tapedeck!!!

st11x
26-03-2004, 03:27 PM
thanks guys,

I've got my MP3 player already. Bought the IRiver MP550 player off ebay for a good price. Really great player, it even has optical out. Haven't mount the amp yet though :-( Still researching on how it can be done.

Don't really mind the inferior audio quality on the drive. Like Pernod mentioned, I can take the player to work, and also hook up to my audio system at work.

I did try simpler solution like the cassette adaptor but it got stuck inside the cassette player, returned it the next day. Wanted to try the FM transmitter, but decided against it.