PDA

View Full Version : Need more low

Fresh
09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
So at the moment my car looks more rally spec than JDM due to it's unbelievably high ride height, so I was looking at some King springs and wanted to see what your opinions are on the way I should go about lowering it
(http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mazda-323-Astina-V6-1994-1998-Lowered-King-Springs-/120853129582?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2368696e#ht_2623wt_1139)
http://www.astinagt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=953

Zenki
09-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Go for coil-overs

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19333

phildough
09-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Just remember if fitting coil overs that they may not be ADR approved and you may violate the terms and agreements of you insurance and they may choose not to pay out on any claim, even if you are not at fault.
They deem you at fault and hold you responsible for damage to the other persons car, even thought they caused you were at fault as you car should not have been on the road.
I have spoken to a few people that have been affected by this issue recently.
One now owes $37K to the insurance company for the BMW that rear ended him.
So fit them at your own risk.

Fresh
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Just remember if fitting coil overs that they may not be ADR approved and you may violate the terms and agreements of you insurance and they may choose not to pay out on any claim, even if you are not at fault.
They deem you at fault and hold you responsible for damage to the other persons car, even thought they caused you were at fault as you car should not have been on the road.

That's exactly what my insurance told me. I'm just skeptical about springs because I've heard bad things about them but I don't think I can afford coil overs :/

phildough
09-06-2012, 01:59 PM
A well set up spring and shock setup will offer a better ride and possibly better handling than a cheap set of coil overs.

derb
09-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Yeh go some superlow springs, about 100x cheaper than a set of coilovers.

Cosmo Dude
09-06-2012, 03:27 PM
This is what Kings lows look like on a H/T

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7960/kgrhqmokne2eoyqycbbnujg.jpg

And they are for sale with Koni insets in the rear pair.

Fresh
09-06-2012, 04:09 PM
This is what Kings lows look like on a H/T

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7960/kgrhqmokne2eoyqycbbnujg.jpg

And they are for sale with Koni insets in the rear pair.

Hmmm that looks nice, so the lows drop the car by 60mm while the normal king springs would only drop it by 30mm?

smurfy
09-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Lows -30mm
Superlows 50?mm
Im assuming

project.r.racing
09-06-2012, 05:27 PM
kings lows will still look rally spec.
kings superlows do not exsist for BAs.

due to the 60mm of gap between the tyres and arches, you really need to look at the spring manufacturers that offer 45-50mm options.

project.r.racing
09-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Just remember if fitting coil overs that they may not be ADR approved and you may violate the terms and agreements of you insurance and they may choose not to pay out on any claim, even if you are not at fault.Correct.

They deem you at fault and hold you responsible for damage to the other persons car, even thought they caused you were at fault as you car should not have been on the road.Incorrect. You cannot reverse fault. But the insurance company can do as you said above.

Cosmo Dude
09-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Hmmm that looks nice, so the lows drop the car by 60mm while the normal king springs would only drop it by 30mm?

King normal are standard height heavy duty. These are 30mm lower and have a firmer ride, the Koni control them very well. Of all the spring/shock combos this was the best 'street' setup, good on the twisties and no complaints from the passengers.

Zenki
09-06-2012, 08:21 PM
How about springs and shocks set up? Would they be ADR approved?

phildough
09-06-2012, 10:25 PM
How about springs and shocks set up? Would they be ADR approved?

As far as I know your not changing away from manufacturers design.

maztech
09-06-2012, 10:30 PM
I got a set of BA 4 cyl used king sping sitting in my garage that I want to sell ,just haven't posted em up yet -- if anyone interested let me know

Fresh
10-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! So I'm pretty sure i'll get the King spring lows that will drop it by 35mm (I would prefer more of drop but I can't find any others -.-)
Love this forum! everyone's so helpful :) <3

rodhog
10-06-2012, 01:06 AM
On regards to legalites on Coil-overs. It's actually nothing illigal about them.

It's only an issue if the following are not done. A - set above the ADR of 100mm. Ground clearance. 2 IF any mounting locations are not Original. Including strut tops. Yes Those adjustable items are questionable on new cars. Some car makers claim they they will break away and in doing so protect the car and it's occupants.

When I put coil overs into the Mazda 2. I did the homework. NO issue - why original mounting points including new factory strut tops. Set well about the 100mm legal limits.
Also with NRMA - it's covered regardless. Alot of minor modifications were covers with full comp For years. It's IN THE FINE PRINT. See It's under replacment of AGE parts for Same.

In simple terms - you can replace your rear muffler to a Stianless steal item. with big chrome tips. As Wear and tear. If you get damage in a accident. They can replaced it with original or a aftermarket unit. They do add a different disclaimer on it being - If say original costs $300 - your Stainless one is $200 and theres is aftermarket at $100. You get the $100. Of course it's why you tell them to cover it. But they can't refuse coverage on replacment items.

So a cheap way of not increasing a premiums is to not cover it but accept all items as wear and tear replacments. Even when you when they cost an arm and a leg.

But $2500 worth of coil overs into street car - Is a waste - And yes I have Teins in a Mazda 2 street car but it cost me the smae as new shocks and replacment KYB's.
But I admit too as well - I'd rather have custom K-mac springs and KYBs

I must say All these complaints abotu King springs. Yet they are one of Australias biggest Spring makers for not only Racing - but just general aftermarket areas. Products have been backed well. I've never heard of any issue about poor quality of the spring - merchanically.

But I guess when they offer a good affordable product made in Australia. People just want that name brand.

Mad Mat
10-06-2012, 02:59 AM
I have a RS-R springs for sale with shocks if ur interested :) lowers the car nicely :) ask anyone here, I think it lowers the car lower than king spring but with still giving a good ride. Ask Austdave, he bought them off Rupe