PDA

View Full Version : Bj1 1.8 5-stud conversion

HAIGHIE
22-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Hey guys, sorry if it's been posted about before i'm on my phone and it won't let me search posts,

I've just bourght my self some mazda cx-7 18" rims for my bj1 323, fully understanding the fact that a 5-stud (sp20) conversion is in need to have these wheels fitted,

Just wondering if anyone has done this before or am i ganna be the first to actually go threw with doing it?,
I know that all the suspention set up is all the same and that the front hubs are a direct change over, really my main concern is. Are the hub splines the same? And do the 5-stub hub&bearing unit directly fit on to the rear stub-axels? Or dose the sp20 rear stub-axel need to be used?,

Obviously the 5-stud brake rotors are also needed to be replaced also.

Thanks in advance ... Andy

Clean_Cookie
22-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Probably the same as a BA swap. New hubs, if you've got abs make sure you get abs hubs. New rotors calipers and pads are all I needed. Splines would most likely be the same.

phildough
22-06-2012, 10:07 PM
All you need to do is swap the hubs and discs. the calipers are the same and no worries about drive shaft not fitting.
i have a g series gear box and drive shafts into my 1.8 hubs. I havent done the 5 stud conversion yet myself.

xeon8
22-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Yep, I've got a BJ1 too and I'm looking at a similar conversion; the hubs just change straight over, and change the discs and thats all thats too it.

Edit: Beaten to it!

project.r.racing
23-06-2012, 05:59 AM
keep your uprights, keep your calipers. install hubs and new rotors. done...

HAIGHIE
23-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Beautiful going to be easy as first thourght, thats good well once i get the wheels powder coated and some new rubber i will be doing the conversion, thanks heeps everyone,
I spoke to a bloke from mazda was trying to see if he could tell me the spline counts and if the rear bearing is the same fit ment, but he almost had a heart attack and saying " how would you know, you just can't do that no one could tell you bla bla bla" bloody hopeless,
oh well cheers everyone

Ice88
23-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Yep, I've got a BJ1 too and I'm looking at a similar conversion; the hubs just change straight over, and change the discs and thats all thats too it.

Edit: Beaten to it!

Little harder for you given you have drum rears and all.

xeon8
23-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Little harder for you given you have drum rears and all.

Yep, more than aware about that. I was just saying in general, though, like if he has discs all round (which he does) then the hubs and rotors just swap straight out for the new ones. Obviously for me it will be more than that.

sikwitit
23-06-2012, 06:06 PM
buy some adaptors easiest way to do it i have fitted many at work havnt had any complants

familiagtx
23-06-2012, 10:23 PM
The fronts should be a straight bolt on jobbie with hub & knuckle.
The rears, you will need the rear control arms aswell as the sp20 arms are shorter than the normal 4-stud version arms.

P.S. if you need the complete conversion to 5-stud, I have 99% of the bits if you need

Den
21-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Hi I'm looking for a front hub for 2003 Mazda sp20 do u know if the 1.8 and the 2.0 are the same hub. A bit random but thanks

Rupewrecht
21-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Hi I'm looking for a front hub for 2003 Mazda sp20 do u know if the 1.8 and the 2.0 are the same hub. A bit random but thanks

2.0 are 5 stud, 1.8 are 4 stud - so no.