PDA

View Full Version : How HIGH do coilovers go?

Ben
17-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Righto, random i know. I want to know how high coilovers go?? Why you ask? Well, the only reason my car is at stock height is because my driveway is a whore. It scrapes now.

I want to lower, but still be able to get into my driveway. So, coilovers are adjustable.. ding ding! Mind blown...If they sit at stock height, I'm happy. Then when I'm in a racing mood/going to the meets/when ever i want low. I can just lower them down? Obviously i won't be doing this everyday, just on the special occasions.

Do i sound like a noob or what?

Cheers,
Ben

Ben
17-07-2012, 10:37 AM
This sounds like a incredible waste of money... I know, i know ;)

Rupewrecht
17-07-2012, 10:41 AM
It depends on the brand on coilover.

Those that have an adjustable-height spring will usually go close to standard height, but will usually be a little lower than stock.

Those that have an adjustable-body-height as well as adjustable-spring-height will go higher or lower than stock depending on your choice.

But yeah, really depends on the brand in the end.

phildough
17-07-2012, 12:05 PM
From what I have been told coil overs are legal if they are not the ride hight adjustable type or are weld/fixed so they cannot be adjusted which kind of ruins your plan.

marcs_sp20
17-07-2012, 12:07 PM
If you're going to that much trouble to get in & out of your driveway, might as well go airbags..

Rupewrecht
17-07-2012, 12:16 PM
From what I have been told coil overs are legal if they are not the ride hight adjustable type or are weld/fixed so they cannot be adjusted which kind of ruins your plan.

I've always wondered about that (and i'm sure it would be different for every state anyway) - whether you could have them welded so that they don't go lower than legal, but could otherwise remain adjustable.

That's be pretty useless anyway as you'd more than likely want to be lower than legal, but i've always wondered.

marcs_sp20
17-07-2012, 12:22 PM
The only fully legal Coilovers I know of are Pedders & Tiens, from what I recall have to be welded to be ADR legal. Most insurance companies (eg Just Car) have it in there policy that you can have coilies, and if in an accident will repair etc.

But if you're buying over $1000 worth of suspension, you'd want some sort of adjustability..

waits for phil's old man reply about "whats right & whats not" :p

Ben
17-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Ah well that foils the plan... Don't think i'll bother. I'll just wait until i move out of home :p

project.r.racing
17-07-2012, 01:17 PM
I love how the legalities talk always comes out when it's not asked for. Then the incorrect information is given out, normally by the same person uneducated on the subject.

Luckily we live in Queensland. As long as the ride height is over 100mm, vehicle and brake line mountings are used, and not changes made to the vehicles structure is made, they are legal in Queensland.

Should you seek further advice, contact Vehicle Standards & Modification Advice on:- 31145844, Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 4.30 pm (Wednesday, 9.30 am to 4.30 pm).

Ben
17-07-2012, 01:50 PM
So, does that mean its ok to keep them fully adjustable? I don't want to ring them. That involves effort haha

Rupe answered my question anyways.