PDA

View Full Version : Dan's KN Laser LXi

mynameisdaniel
20-08-2012, 07:59 PM
So, seeing as I'll have lots of problems/questions about this car I figured I'd just put them all in one place.

Bought this car to replace my runabout 89 KE Laser. Needs a bit of love, maybe a bit more...

It's a 99 LXi, so basically the bottom of the range, without any optional extras, actually, the only thing this really has over the 89 laser is power steering... :eek:

Here's a photo from today, my second day of owning it. Snapped the alternator/water pump belt. Noticed it before temps could get too high so no damage done :)

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/539332_4343463585578_1987632544_n.jpg

Problems:
Rough interior
Rough exterior
(taped) Broken intake hose
(fixed) Accelerator cable slack
Flat spots/hesitation while driving (hoping a good service/plugs will fix it)
Worn belts
Spare tyre has a puncture (not that it really matters because it doesn't have a jack or tyre wrench...)

BG1.8sp
20-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Ahaha, looks like it could come up quite nicely after a bit of lovin'

project.r.racing
20-08-2012, 08:13 PM
I owned one of these for a while. Pretty good gearbox and zippy motor. Not a powerhouse or railrunner, but gets you from A to B nicely.

Got hand wind windows?

mynameisdaniel
20-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah a little rough now. Want to get it to a respectable standard inside and out, plus get it running a bit better. Very smooth but the flat spots make it hard to drive. That and the complete lack of torque down low :p

Yep, manual windows, manual mirrors, manual door locks... Going to install a keyless central locking kit myself. It's only $40 for the entire kit. Bit of work to install but should be good fun.

marcs_sp20
20-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Nothing wrong with no power windows, brings back the early days :p

Cant wait to see what you do with this Daniel ;)

Mad Mat
20-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Yeah a little rough now. Want to get it to a respectable standard inside and out, plus get it running a bit better. Very smooth but the flat spots make it hard to drive. That and the complete lack of torque down low :p

Yep, manual windows, manual mirrors, manual door locks... Going to install a keyless central locking kit myself. It's only $40 for the entire kit. Bit of work to install but should be good fun.

nice ride man :)

keeps the kms down on the Subaru :D

has it got central locking on i now??? if so just add the master actuator to the drivers door and wire it into the reast of the locking actuator circuit.. i did it on my bg astina years ago..

mynameisdaniel
20-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Yeah the manual windows don't bother me, just wish I could reach the passenger one and drive ;)

Sadly I won't be doing much to this one other than fixing it up (and eventually selling it), all my 'car budget' is being eaten up fast by Liberty ;). Just a daily so I don't have to leave the Subaru in the sun all day and have it get beat up with shopping trolleys.

Nah no central locking at all, so I need to mount the actuators and wire it all up, seems pretty straight forward...

mynameisdaniel
24-08-2012, 12:23 PM
So... Half way through servicing this 'car'. Apparently it was serviced 2,000km ago by an actual mechanic :eek:, yet the belt obviously hadn't checked as it was fraying and came off on me and upon draining the oil it's pretty obvious that wasn't replaced any time recently... It's literally black, even a thin film on my fingers is black!
Once I work out how to get the oil filter off I'll put some fresh stuff in and a new filter.

The spark plugs look pretty old, but not too bad so I should be able to clean them up alright... Does anyone happen to know what gap I should set them to? :)