PDA

View Full Version : remote start

platypus
19-03-2004, 03:42 PM
it seems i've struck a small hiccup, worked out all the wiring.. but remembered that i need a microchipped key to start the engine.... you reckon it might work anyway?? i know theres a few guys in da states who have been able to do it... i just don't know what to use as an ignition wire etc!!!

Nate
19-03-2004, 03:46 PM
remote start ... phat ... just dont leave it in gear!!

twilightprotege
19-03-2004, 04:01 PM
show off ;) LOL

have you asked the guys on p5.com?

platypus
19-03-2004, 05:54 PM
yes i'm a show off!!!

i know how to wire it, and it can be wired so that it will only start in neutral!!!

not many of the P5 guys know about it, coz they got it done by someone else

twilightprotege
19-03-2004, 09:42 PM
arh.....

so while you cant drive the car gets an overhaul ;) hehehe

so have you figured out a way around the key chip thingie?

platypus
19-03-2004, 11:50 PM
i was hoping you coud tell me....

i'm presuming its not an encrypted signal... therefore it should work .. i just need a wire colour

twilightprotege
20-03-2004, 08:22 AM
hot pink with green polka dots.

platypus
20-03-2004, 10:35 AM
no thats the neutral safety lead....

actually it was one of the stereo wires

twilightprotege
20-03-2004, 01:11 PM
hahahahaha

Cosmo Dude
20-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Remote start stereo, now that has applications :P

pr1mo
20-03-2004, 03:18 PM
yeah my stereo remote starts!

mrpayner
20-03-2004, 04:53 PM
Who has remote start on here?? Is it you mikey?? I remember someone on here who does have remote start..

AP

pr1mo
20-03-2004, 07:34 PM
yeah i do,
never use it tho :P

cheers mike

Cosmo Dude
20-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I don't understand the 'remote start' thing.
You still need to unlock the door and get in. If it's raining your still gonna ge wet
The heater takes about 5 minutes to heat-up. Your only going to remote start from about 50 metres! O.K. it's useful if you use a walking frame :lol:
Similar arguement for the A/C
When you show off to your mates it'll be in gear and close to a tree/wall/other car. O.K. their is the comedy aspect :lol:

in my best Ipswitch fish-wife accent Please explain

pr1mo
20-03-2004, 07:56 PM
hehe there is no explaining, i never use it and when i do, yeah someone is watching and its in gear lol

platypus
20-03-2004, 11:01 PM
which is probably why my car has a neutral switch... ie it won;t do **** unless its in neutral.... if its in gear it will beep at you... i understadn that bit......

oh well i'm gonna tackle it tomorrow, without help...

i'm just not sure how to wire the thing, as it requires the car to be wired after the ignition switch.... the BJ upwards has a microchipped key... ie even if you cut a copy of the key it will start and stall... don;t believe me? get an original BJ key, and copy... start car... guarantee it will start and then stall....

if have an alarm with remote start so why not use it??

and in response to cosmo's question... my car lives out side... damn it... once i move out this will be semi fixed, but when i stay at mates/dates houses i park outside in the weather... i can set the DEMISTER before i get out, and then lock the car... then do remote start inside the house, as i put my shoes on, and actually save a bit of time... other than that, i can show off

alarm immobilises the car if the door is opened with the key, requiring me to actually remotely open the car....

Nate
21-03-2004, 01:02 AM
is it an auto or a manual??

platypus
21-03-2004, 09:33 AM
manual, hence the requirement for a neutral switching lead

Nate
21-03-2004, 06:33 PM
ok .... hmm i have no idea how that works but i want!!!!

platypus
22-03-2004, 09:30 AM
well i got in in most of the way... freaked out when the car locked by itself... and then unlocked when i stopped the car... noice mate

but i didn't get the immobiliser installed... i'm hoping this is the reason that the car won't do the remote starting thing.... grrrr.... need thicker leads

pr1mo
22-03-2004, 10:46 AM
haha yeah gotta love getting locked in. its an anti hijacking feature, pretty dangerous in an accident tho but myeh

cheers mike

platypus
22-03-2004, 11:15 AM
meh is right.. thats why windows are made of glass

primo, its double click for start yeah?

twilightprotege
22-03-2004, 12:16 PM
you dead yet?

platypus
22-03-2004, 12:19 PM
if i could get it to work... but the alarm is tops!!!

Cosmo Dude
22-03-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm remote, if it starts unexpectedly then it's just me testing it :roll:

platypus
22-03-2004, 12:24 PM
haha might happen ?

pr1mo
22-03-2004, 12:34 PM
yeah 2 slow clicks. say click the first time then the next click do about a second and a half later. 1 more click after that to abort

platypus
22-03-2004, 12:46 PM
i just get nothing.... not even a chirp.... grrrrrr... not even a relay click, i tried various things, including putting car into gear, and clutch in, and out... nothing still.... oh man why it no like me?

twilightprotege
22-03-2004, 12:47 PM
do you want us to answer that?

Cosmo Dude
22-03-2004, 01:02 PM
If you've identified the neutral switch is it;
A) Grounded
B) Connected to +12V
C) Not connected to nuffing cos I don't know where to connect it
D) All of the above

platypus
22-03-2004, 01:11 PM
when the car is in gear, the neutral switch is positive... its across the handbrake on a relay which when in gear shows nothing... when the handbrake is on and gear in neutral the alarm is shown handbrake making a ground...

i have tapped the wire, so whatever it goes to (ecu?) is not affected....

but as i said before i've hooked up everything except for the immobiliser... negative switching on that... i'm gonna go and see if its waiting for a positive charge to flow through its relay...

Cosmo Dude
22-03-2004, 01:19 PM
The neutral switch on the gearbox switches earth (ground, 0V).
On the BA it's on the same circuit as the clutch switch (inside the car and easier to get to) have a prod and poke session with your meter around their, I'd be looking for continuity to earth.

Memphis
31-03-2004, 03:45 AM
sorry to hear your having troubles, I've heard it is quite tricky to install.

Make sure the car is armed, only remote starts if its still armed.

Two double clicks of the button can work easier I found.

Hope ya can figure it out.

platypus
31-03-2004, 09:31 PM
is ok... i got a dicky relay... fixed problem!! its works, sorry i hadn't replied earlier!!

the diagram is hella tricky!!!

thanks matey, i knew it worked, but prob was with the installer!! :oops:

Oracle_SOD
02-04-2004, 01:09 AM
Iv wired remote start to my car, and set it up so it cant remote start when in gear...

im happy to give details if anyone is interested....

Daniel

platypus
02-04-2004, 08:57 AM
i've got it to work on the BJI/BJII/KN/KQ series.... well only BJI but they are all the same essentially

there is a neutral trigger wire(+), with that wire you need to setup a relay on the handbrake switching lead, so it can be read as a negative trigger, once both are negative charged the alarm can see that the handbrake is on.. at which point it will allow the crank to turn

the wire is at the bottom of the gear box, and also at the PCM (on my car anyway.. i used the PCM in the end)

twilightprotege
02-04-2004, 09:00 AM
boozy smurf - email me the how too :D

also, is there a way to set it up with the stock remote starter so if you click the unlock twice (for example) the car starts?

Dogo
02-04-2004, 11:43 AM
and set it up so it cant remote start when in gear.

please send to pr1mo too :wink:

platypus
02-04-2004, 01:36 PM
there is a stock remote starter??

anyway its probably possible, with relays anything is possible!!!
you can setup a remote start with about 8 relays, but why would you?
only hassle i can see is being able to differentiate between a 12v- and 12v- minus 1k ohms!!

twilightprotege
02-04-2004, 02:12 PM
i was meaning the stock remote door unlocker thingie (blonde day today)

platypus
02-04-2004, 04:14 PM
so was i andy... so was i...
its ok mr dodge forum moderator, youll cope

twilightprotege
02-04-2004, 04:53 PM
i was twilightneon for a day :D

so can you use te stock remote lock/unlock controler?

Oracle_SOD
03-04-2004, 12:38 AM
okies, the way iv done it is to fit an extra relay onto the relay for the starter motor immobiliser..... the relay only gets power when the ignition is in the Start position, and then using some one way diods, connected the other side of the relay to the neutral switch wire on the ECU, so if the car is in neutral, the circit is complete and u can turn the car on, but when out of gear the circit is broken and the relay wont kick...

the only issue with this is that if the relay was to fail u wont be able to start the car (unless u know what ur doing :P)

platypus
03-04-2004, 08:40 AM
ok pin 22 at the pcm (of the 104 pin plug) is the trigger wire.... should be violet, and somethign... sorry i'm sooo disorganised atm!!!

andrew, i said no, not worth it, get a remote starter imported from the states (i know you too well) cost you about 80, with no alarm, and this should control the central locking... because it controls the locks, the factory remote is now redundant... but sorry matey, the double click thing will be a pain to wire....

like i said before i'll give you a full link up if you like, but how to get the double lock thing happening is beyond me...

thing is, with that kind of setup the relay set has no idea when the engine has actually kicked over, and as such won't restart/try again....

Oracle_SOD, i like mine better, as if something should fail, your safe

twilightprotege
03-04-2004, 09:07 AM
yeah i'm just thinking of ways to do this on the cheap...getting married in 3 weeks. need mo.

waddabout holding the unlock down for 5 seconds or something?

platypus
03-04-2004, 10:39 AM
problem is with all of these, while its not too hard to do the actual remote start thing, you need a trigger...

if you can work out a way to trigger whatever event it might be from a two key (ie two output) then your set... i would suggest you also make an immobilser relay on the constant + into the key switch... that way you can cancel your start...

Oracle_SOD
04-04-2004, 08:28 PM
ah k.... see thats stuff is all controled by my alarm module..... there is a button i press, it bypasses the immobiliser and specific zones of the alarm, and then turns the ignition and then starts the car...

platypus
05-04-2004, 08:01 AM
thats how mine works too... all in the module... and its working sweet now... my tacho lead fell out, coz i forgot to solder it, was in a hurry, so i had to pack up and go... anywayz its all in working order now...

but it is possible to wire up about 8 relays in some weird pattern....

you still want those diagrams i suppose.... i just found them on p5.com btw i also found the neutral wire isn't pink, its blue and black... has a + charge...

Oracle_SOD
05-04-2004, 01:57 PM
mmmm be carfull with the gearbox +ve charge.... that is coming from the ecu....

one side of the neutral switch is connected to earth, the other is connected (with the clutch switch) so the ecu......

hence the reason i used a one way diode :)

platypus
05-04-2004, 09:15 PM
yup, wired over the coil... ok, i'll post that pic in 5 minutes of the relay setup

platypus
06-04-2004, 06:56 PM
yup, diode wired before the coil... that way the PCM shouldn't know about someone dicking about with its signals...

setup two relays, that basically cross each other...

relay 1;
85 handbrake
86 handbrake
30 to ground
87 to 87a of relay 2

relay 2;
87a to 87 of relay 1
85 to neutral wire (positive)
86 to gnd
30 to handbrake monitor of remote start module

NB must be 87a, so as to provide a negative charge along the lines, well once the handbrake is down anyway

i'm not in the mood to draw a diagram.... maybe another financial year

also note that you don't have to wire in this fashion... you can also place this setup on the starter relay....
this would also be the way to wire up a small preprogramemd PA speaker.... pscht!! (or get the real thing.... i like the second one)

oh yeah another one for some others out there thinking about an alarm
http://www.mazdamp3.com/members/1st%20MP3%20in%20NH/resistor%20setup%20for%20lock%
also a lot of wire details can be found here BullDog Security (http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/)