PDA

View Full Version : Creaking Sounds

P'cisT
19-03-2004, 06:07 PM
I have been noticing creaking sounds (like old door creaking sounds) when I turn and also approaching and leaving inclines. The sound seems to be coming from the rear.

As for suspension, I only have King Springs installed, but I know it's not related to that as the sounds were present before they were instaled.

I am thinking this may be a shock related problem? A mate suggesting it may be my CV joints, or maybe even just some lubrication needed but I have no idea.

Would anyone have any idea what's causing this?

mrpayner
19-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Could be the rear sway bar.. You might like to pop your head under the back end of your car and see if the bushes are OK.. they may have given up the ghost on you and you may need some new ones.

Then again it might be something else!

AP

Cosmo Dude
19-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Or just give the bushes a little molly grease, if you're going that far change the 'D' bushes for nolothane, it's not as good as a new swaybar but you'll notice the difference.

platypus
19-03-2004, 11:56 PM
adjust your tail gate!!!

gf's kn does this hella bad, if you hold the gate while is being driven sound goes away... bloody ford QC.. i dunno pfft!.... j/k

P'cisT
20-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Cool, I'll check out the bushes then. (Bit of a n00b about it, but I'll google it).

If I need to change, what are these nolothane ones? I guess they are just a different material. How much would I be look at for both them and normal ones? Also, I guess I should be looking for brands like Whiteline?

:lol: @ahb11m.

Cosmo Dude
20-03-2004, 06:50 AM
nolathane is a stiffer rubber substitute, I'd guess the cost would be 'bout $10-$15 for the pair. Ask Bursons, Repco, Autobarn etc.....

Have a look here (http://www.nolathane.com.au) for details.

P'cisT
20-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Guys, this is one of the bushes right?

http://home.iprimus.com.au/kvntrn/Laser/Bushes.jpg

If that's teh case, they look good to me, but that's just me. Guess I'll lubriacate them to see how they go. Are you suppose to pull them apart to lube them?

Cosmo Dude
20-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Not the bush I was thinking of as it's vulcanised to the metal parts. I was thinking about the swaybar to chassis w bush (far right of the pic)

mrpayner
20-03-2004, 08:36 PM
http://www.amihotornot.com.au/album/photos/18162-2004320213842.jpg

It's the [dirty] yellow bit behind the metal clamp thingy..

:D

AP

platypus
21-03-2004, 09:30 AM
might be that, as a creaking specifically and not a knocking sound, i'd say its a problem with your endlinks.... the ones that join the sway bar, to the strut....

adam, you seem to be good with those supsension pics!!! first was the bastard screw, and now this one... wow!

mrpayner
22-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Heh.. my aim is to please! :D

AP

Laser the Amazer
23-03-2004, 10:17 PM
any interesting thing to note here also is

the BA Hatch, The KJ Sedan and Hatch all run the same suspension all round

same part numbers and all

Rob

platypus
24-03-2004, 02:17 PM
bloody poaching parent company

Cosmo Dude
24-03-2004, 02:35 PM
When you're on a good thing...

Copy it :lol:

Toyboy
24-03-2004, 03:08 PM
:lol:

P'cisT
24-03-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks guys, bit of lubrication on all the bushes seem to have stopped the creaks.

As for suspension, I don't think they are _completely_ alike. There were even differences between the LXi and GLXi models of my car. Most things like should be the same though.

Gunner
26-04-2004, 09:52 PM
I am glad you fixed the problem...
I have also been noticing a "creaking" noise (... crrrr crrrr crrrrr) at the front of the car when I turn my steering wheel while the car is stationary and with the brakes on .. and it is more evident after I have driven the car .. ... I am not sure if it is related to the steering or the brakes.... any advice?

mrpayner
26-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Could that be to do with the CV joints? One of the other guys will have to tell you.. Sure you didn't have a stone in the tread of the tyre? :wink:

AP