PDA

View Full Version : Ross's dumb ar$e BA questions

ross
21-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Right, let's start with an apology for the dumb questions I'm going to ask. Sorry, but I've been a hop in and drive for so long I've forgotten how to talk car. Give me a dirt bike and I'm comfortable but cars, couldn't find the door if the wife wasn't sitting in the passenger seat.

So after getting the idea in my head on Saturday morning today I've become the proud owner of a 1998 323 BA Series 3 V6 Astina hardtop that looks like this

http://rosscoact.smugmug.com/Other/323/i-NSjCfhj/0/M/323b-M.jpg

http://rosscoact.smugmug.com/Other/323/i-37vRXMh/0/M/323c-M.jpg

http://rosscoact.smugmug.com/Other/323/i-bGtzPsX/0/M/323i-M.jpg

This is going to be my daily driver and I want it to be a non-racer but it should certainly be sexy in a mature sleek type of way.

So my intention is to lower it a bit and upgrade the suspension, put some nice wheels but with enough rubber to have it comfortable while hanging on in the twisties.

Then debadge and respray.

Then tweek the motor, it has 141,000k on it.

Then do some work on the interior.

Of course, I have no idea what I should ask for, what to look out for, what to avoid etc. So, I'm thinking that if I read the threads, ask a you guys, ask a professional, then repeat, perhaps I'll avoid doing expensive stupid things.

So thanks in advance.

fuzzimuzzi
21-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Hey Ross, welcome
Got to say its a nice looking ha.
The guys here will be able to help ya heaps.
I can't sorry, hopefully I can learn with ya.

Clean_Cookie
21-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Motor wise. Best bang for buck is a complete 2.5L swap. Apparently relatively easy swap. From experience these engines are a pita to work on if something down the back goes. As for rims, there's plenty of info around. Most opt for a 17*7 with between 35-45 offset. 35 is closer to flush, looks better. And yet another set of interior upholstery! Seriously I've seen at least 5 seat designs so far. If you did a kl-ze with supercharger you would be top gun in the club haha. They sound amazing.

Rear sway bar is cheap and easy to install, makes a large difference in handling. Best bang for buck mod imho.

himynameisbunny
21-11-2012, 11:19 PM
If you did a kl-ze with supercharger you would be top gun in the club haha. They sound amazing.

So much want right here.

Paint doesn't look too bad. Looks like you got yourself a super clean (super late model too!) example :)

ross
22-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Motor wise. Best bang for buck is a complete 2.5L swap. Apparently relatively easy swap. From experience these engines are a pita to work on if something down the back goes. As for rims, there's plenty of info around. Most opt for a 17*7 with between 35-45 offset. 35 is closer to flush, looks better. And yet another set of interior upholstery! Seriously I've seen at least 5 seat designs so far. If you did a kl-ze with supercharger you would be top gun in the club haha. They sound amazing.

Rear sway bar is cheap and easy to install, makes a large difference in handling. Best bang for buck mod imho.

Re the 2.5 V6

I came across Dancing Duck Performance Initiative who do a KLDK-R 2.5l V6. http://www.facebook.com/dancingduckpi

Anybody had any experience with them?

Clean_Cookie
22-11-2012, 06:21 AM
He is a young guy, passionate with racing and cars. He's built a few nice motors for himself, and the other guy who got one of these loved it. So if I were looking for one, this is what I'd do. While its not a klze, its better value for sure.

ross
22-11-2012, 06:44 AM
He is a young guy, passionate with racing and cars. He's built a few nice motors for himself, and the other guy who got one of these loved it. So if I were looking for one, this is what I'd do. While its not a klze, its better value for sure.

Thanks for that. It's a reasonable cost by my perception and I assume there's a market for a low kilometre 2.0 V6?

project.r.racing
22-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Suspension - As an older bloke with a daily ride, just some lowered springs ie- Tein Eibach Kings should fit the bill for you. With a whiteline rear sway bar should net you the lowered and performance gains you require.

Wheels - 17x7 with 215/40R17 tyres. Small is the same you got, bigger and you will sacrifice comfort.

Engine - I know the V6 owners will get all uptight about this. But personally I think the are a poor donk of an engine in a cramed engine bay. Personally I wouldn't be touching it one bit, if it runs well, leave it.

Paint - Mate it is too clean too mess with. It'll cost more than the car to change it to a different colour. Sure if it have clear coat pealling and colour fading, you might change it, but you got good paint there already.

SLY 323
22-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Engine - I know the V6 owners will get all uptight about this. But personally I think the are a poor donk of an engine in a cramed engine bay. Personally I wouldn't be touching it one bit, if it runs well, leave it

I conpletely agree in a way. Thats why with my 6 its getting a KL. Cheaper and more readily available parts over the KF.
Plus compared to the BP the 6 is a problematic engine.

With the KLDK-R, its got more power than a ZE anywho.

ross
22-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Suspension - As an older bloke with a daily ride, just some lowered springs ie- Tein Eibach Kings should fit the bill for you. With a whiteline rear sway bar should net you the lowered and performance gains you require.

Wheels - 17x7 with 215/40R17 tyres. Small is the same you got, bigger and you will sacrifice comfort.

Engine - I know the V6 owners will get all uptight about this. But personally I think the are a poor donk of an engine in a cramed engine bay. Personally I wouldn't be touching it one bit, if it runs well, leave it.

Paint - Mate it is too clean too mess with. It'll cost more than the car to change it to a different colour. Sure if it have clear coat pealling and colour fading, you might change it, but you got good paint there already.

Ouch, the voice of reason.

I'm starting to think that perhaps I get the car, drive it around for a while, see what bugs me and what I can put up with and what I like, then do things.

Sell a bike in the meantime and have some cash to play with

ross
24-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Well, for better or for worse it's over at Dancing Duck for Dec to have a look at.

Posted on FB and got back from my 'mates'

What the hell is it?
Is that a ding in the rear quarter panel?
#bigredpeniscar
#midlifecrisiscar

I love those guys :-P

ross
24-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Also are Osaka wheels decent quality?

mattylagana
24-11-2012, 10:38 AM
i have some ( sp23 rims avalible if your interested) 17"

ross
24-11-2012, 10:50 AM
i have some ( sp23 rims avalible if your interested) 17"

I'm more looking at 10 or 12 spoke so if you have any Mazda 6 wheels that would be sweet:)

I have no idea what fits and what doesn't

mattylagana
24-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Fresh out of those :)

Clean_Cookie
24-11-2012, 12:41 PM
MSO1 would look awesomely sexy on that colour.

ross
24-11-2012, 02:33 PM
MSO1 would look awesomely sexy on that colour.

Yes indeed, they are great looking wheels but I may have found my price refusal point:eek:

Rupewrecht
24-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Hehe

7 inch wide is a good size - a +35 offset is ideal for 7".

I'd recommend a bigger rear swaybar and a 30mm drop to have the handling a bit more 'wow'. Even the stock wheels look great with a bit of lowering.

ross
24-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Hehe

7 inch wide is a good size - a +35 offset is ideal for 7".

I'd recommend a bigger rear swaybar and a 30mm drop to have the handling a bit more 'wow'. Even the stock wheels look great with a bit of lowering.

Yes, I think I'll do a 30mm lowering and the rear swaybar as soon as I get it. I don't mind the existing wheels, just the gap.

project.r.racing
24-11-2012, 06:23 PM
I fail to see how a family 4 door sedan equals mid life crisis.

ross
24-11-2012, 10:14 PM
I fail to see how a family 4 door sedan equals mid life crisis.

Yeah, me too. :rolleyes:

All the mid-life crisies I've had involve spending large amounts of money on fast things. I'm spending a small amount of money.

ross
14-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I saw some 17x7 MX5 wheels which look pretty damn good. the drawback is that they have 55 offset.

Will these fit a BA without fouling anything?

Rupewrecht
14-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah, i think they will (as i seem to remember someone else on here having them), but they'll sit a reasonable way inside the guards.

ross
14-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah, i think they will (as i seem to remember someone else on here having them), but they'll sit a reasonable way inside the guards.

Sweet thanks.

So would 15mm spacers that are for sale on ebay work ok?

Rupewrecht
14-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah they'd be perfect, as long as they're bolt-ons (come with either longer studs or new studs bolted to the spacer)

ross
15-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Yeah they'd be perfect, as long as they're bolt-ons (come with either longer studs or new studs bolted to the spacer)

Excellent, thanks.

I saw plenty but most were 1" (all the bolt on ones seem to come from the US) and greater. I'm thinking that 15-20mm would bring it back to 40-35 offset which you said was about right IIRC.

I'll start some communication with the sellers on fleabay.

Fresh
16-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Great car, especially around the corners !

ross
16-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Great car, especially around the corners !

:p

BTW I got in contact with our man in the US and the spacers are lug centric. I know not desirable for wheels but does it matter for spacers of that depth?

project.r.racing
16-12-2012, 08:13 PM
plenty of hub centric spacers on ebay

mattylagana
16-12-2012, 08:33 PM
You shouldn't need spacers at all, and at most ÿöü would need 6 mm slid on ones that will work fine with what your running with

ross
17-12-2012, 06:36 AM
Thanks all

I think I'll stick to plan A and get the car (coming up from Melbourne next weekend I hope), drive it around for a month or two then consider the wheels.

ross
18-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Just got the word that I need new tyres for roadworthy due to the old ones being cracked from age hardening. I had planned to wait for these tyres to wear out while I contemplated the wheel issue but now things have changed.

So, I'm back in the hunt for wheels. Still looking at either mazdaspeed (love those gold ones they are smick as) or OEM off a Mazda 6 or MX5 although I'm not even sure if the former come in 17". However, both are 55mm offset so I'm looking for hub spacers that can bolt to existing hubs.

After my last questions got slapped down I looked for hub centric and found these. http://http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2pc-20mm-Hubcentric-Wheel-Spacers-FITS-Hyundai-Tiburon-Genesis-Tucson-5x114-3-/281039115676?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AMazda&hash=item416f3c959c&_uhb=1#ht_3508wt_1094

I found some hub spacers 20mm 5x114.3 67.1 centre bore which he reckons FITS Hyundai Tiburon Genesis Tucson but not a Protege.

By my calculations this will work with a BA. Am I right?

cheers

project.r.racing
18-12-2012, 02:33 PM
well if you put on spacers. you wont pass roadworthy again.

Clean_Cookie
18-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Yeah and even if you buy a set of rims generally you get old or bad tyres with them.

ross
18-12-2012, 09:30 PM
well if you put on spacers. you wont pass roadworthy again.

Oh. That's not for me then.

Yeah and even if you buy a set of rims generally you get old or bad tyres with them.

I was intending to buy tyres but didn't want to get a full set for roadworthy then a few months later get another full set when I get new rims.

But the update is that my darling wife has suggested that perhaps I should put off buying new rims seeing as I need new tyres and a new windscreen

She's a CPA you see;)

SLY 323
05-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Im using CX7 wheels on the missus BA. 6mm spacers.

All new Mazda wheels are +50 offset.

ross
06-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Im using CX7 wheels on the missus BA. 6mm spacers.

All new Mazda wheels are +50 offset.

Cheers, thanks for that. I ended up committing to some Mazdaspeed rims.

Also, I actually have the car now, yip yip yahoo. Picked up the car from Declan from Dancing Duck Performance Initiative on Saturday arvo.
It has a KLDK-R donk installed, 30mm lowered with new King springs, Whiteline rear sway bar, all the roadworthy crap done, still have a bigger throttle body and extractors to go.

Drove back from Melbourne and she goes like a scalded cat, handles wonderfully and not too harsh. Very happy indeed.

project.r.racing
06-01-2013, 10:05 PM
hopefully that donk has warrenty.

ross
07-01-2013, 05:52 AM
hopefully that donk has warrenty.

Hopefully I won't need to test it:)

But yes, 30,000 or 12 months

ross
22-02-2013, 12:08 PM
No a question this time, just a mild rant.

So, I have the KLDK-R in going sweet as.

Do you want a set of extractors?
Why yes, that would be most excellent.
Oops, it hits the cat, don't have the right tools, best you go to a exhaust fitter.
No worries.

Would you fit these extractors? Sure, about $300 for labour. Goodo, see you soon.

Early afternoon call. Bloody thing's wont fit, all sorts of trouble. I'll ring you back.

Late afternoon call. They are about 20mm out and hit bits including the brace and power steering.
Well I guess that is because it has a different motor in it.
Could be. Here are your options.
1 we put your old stuff back on $600
2 we cut bend hack and fit the extractors $900
Either way you can't have it back until Monday

This had better be worth it:rolleyes:

Wife is not happy

ross
04-03-2013, 12:42 PM
While I'm still getting over the cost shock of the extractor fitting I've noticed the suspension is making noises.

I got lower King springs fitted to drop it 30mm plus a Whiteline rear sway bar and was really happy with everything about it, ride handing and height.

However, only a few weeks later it has a tinny clunking sound at the rear which is getting worse rapidly. And although it might be my imagination, it seems to be harsher in the ride although going around corners doesn't produce any sounds or unexpected movement.

I assume this is shocks? I recall seeing that this is what happens when you just fit lower springs. Unfortunately read that after I got it done, not before.

I got a quote from Capital Steering and Suspension for $1400 for Koni shocks supply and fitted which freaked me out a bit. I'm not used to these car costs so is that reasonable? I'm in Canberra so a bit hard to go shopping around.

Thoughts?

Rupewrecht
04-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Could be the swaybar has moved too much to one side, it's not uncommon with the Whiteline bar.

ross
04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Could be the swaybar has moved too much to one side, it's not uncommon with the Whiteline bar.

That would make sense, I'll go out and have a look, thanks

TheMAN
04-03-2013, 07:02 PM
what kind of extractors were you trying to put in? for which car? what engine?

ross
04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
what kind of extractors were you trying to put in? for which car? what engine?

The extractors are Pacemakers, the car is a 1997 series 3 BA hardtop and the motor is a KLDK-R (ex KLDE with a bit of work) from Dancing Duck Performance Initiative.

The non-OEM motor was the problem as the rear outlet was 25mm higher than standard. All fixed now though.

TheMAN
04-03-2013, 09:28 PM
so the pacemakers were for the BA but because your motor is higher, it didn't fit?

ross
05-03-2013, 06:12 AM
so the pacemakers were for the BA but because your motor is higher, it didn't fit?

Yes, that's it

Aaron
09-03-2013, 11:17 AM
You went to good shop, and that price would reflect the cost of the Konis plus labour, it may be a bit high, but it may include camber bolts to get the alignment right, etc

You may be able to do cheaper by sourcing Konis online, fitting yourself, and then having the car aligned but is it worth the hassle?

ross
09-03-2013, 12:42 PM
You went to good shop, and that price would reflect the cost of the Konis plus labour, it may be a bit high, but it may include camber bolts to get the alignment right, etc

You may be able to do cheaper by sourcing Konis online, fitting yourself, and then having the car aligned but is it worth the hassle?

Aaron, I totally agree. From my motorcycle days, that black art of suspension tuning is something I've stayed away from.

I'm just figuring out now whether the shocks are actually buggered or not. on Mat's advice I opened the boot and jumped up and down in the back and no noise or clunking. Had a look at the sway bar and no bushes out of place or obvious points of impact.

It makes big noise on rough road (say Wentworth Ave in Kingston) but I can drive the whole way home without any obvious clunking at all.

It's a bit hard to get under there without ramps but I think I'm going to have to go to supercheap and get a couple

TheMAN
09-03-2013, 12:58 PM
noise like this can be from the top mounts or drop links

but testing shocks by bounce test isn't for finding noise, but for finding out the dampening effect

my beater corolla has blown shocks all around... if I stand on top of the boot and jump on the car, the whole thing can rock like a boat after I jumped up and down several times... good shocks will let do that!

Kirks
11-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Ross. you have pedders springs not kings. and they were pace setter extractors.
im yet to ind a brand of extractor or these cars and engines that just bolts straight in..

Throttle bodys will be done some time soo with the boss happy to contribute to the cause. (Im working as a mechanical engineer/fabricator atm). that oil should be on you doorstep wed or thurs too...
cheers dec

ross
20-09-2013, 07:40 AM
fellas, I've just noticed a gearbox problem. It is slipping out of 5th every now and then. Just cruising along and out it pops. Its happened a half a dozen times of the past couple of weeks.

At first I thought I might have done it with my knee but no such luck. Is this a common issue or major? I don't need big expenses atm but I'd like some understanding of where this is going.

Cheers
Ross

ross
20-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Ross. you have pedders springs not kings. and they were pace setter extractors.
im yet to ind a brand of extractor or these cars and engines that just bolts straight in..

Throttle bodys will be done some time soo with the boss happy to contribute to the cause. (Im working as a mechanical engineer/fabricator atm). that oil should be on you doorstep wed or thurs too...
cheers dec

Thanks Dec, all good.

Alemenara
20-09-2013, 11:38 AM
fellas, I've just noticed a gearbox problem. It is slipping out of 5th every now and then. Just cruising along and out it pops. Its happened a half a dozen times of the past couple of weeks.

At first I thought I might have done it with my knee but no such luck. Is this a common issue or major? I don't need big expenses atm but I'd like some understanding of where this is going.

Cheers
Ross

I'd asume internals of the gearbox are on the way out, if that's the case at least 5th is easily replacable with 5th from a 626 or MX-6. Clean Cookie or Rupe should be able to offer a clearer opinion.

Rupewrecht
20-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Either worn gearbox bushes, or the secondary shaft inside the box is bent, or maybe the fluid is low.

ross
27-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Either worn gearbox bushes, or the secondary shaft inside the box is bent, or maybe the fluid is low.

Once again you are spot on, low fluid. Why, who knows?

thanks very much