PDA

View Full Version : EOI [GB] FP/FS Adjustable Cam Gears

HAIGHIE
17-02-2013, 03:39 PM
this is a EOI of who would be interrested in buying a set of adjustable cam gears for these motors.

ice88 (chris) has a set and is willing to have them coppied and made up, as there is no adjustable cam gear avaliable for these motors, so this is kind of a one off buy,

we need to get some rough numbers, and see who will be keen to grab a set.

to do this you will need to supply a set of cam gears to be sent away and the magic happen :)

so place your name down on the list if your interrested

1: HAIGHIE
2: Swiftjimmy
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

Ice88
17-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Side note guys, just in case someone decides to google. There are sets around but none of them work.

Trying to find a set that I have or Darryl has is bleeding difficult.

Orion
17-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Are they being made up in South-East Queensland somewhere or interstate?

Ice88
17-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Going to try South East Queensland Darryl.

Got any tips regarding engineering places to try out? Chicaboo recommended me someone looong ago, try as a might cant remember it atm. Itll come to me though.

Orion
17-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Going to try South East Queensland Darryl.

Got any tips regarding engineering places to try out? Chicaboo recommended me someone looong ago, try as a might cant remember it atm. Itll come to me though.

Not really. I need to get one of my Tri-point gears re-made so I am in a similar boat as to finding an engineering shop to it.

Probably something I will look at in the middle of this year though.

Ice88
17-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Might pm chicaboo/LW to ask them who they'd recommend.

project.r.racing
17-02-2013, 07:25 PM
generate more interest, add a price.

Rafferty
17-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm interested But I've got a stock motor would that benefit me? Also more info would be good… For example Chris (Ice88) Has an SP20 Are they the same for the 1.8 L? And if someone that has them can share their experiences with them for example can you tune the timing yourself or not? Do you need a different setting for everyday city driving and one for racing? Pros and Cons that sort of thing.

HAIGHIE
17-02-2013, 07:58 PM
there a direct fit for both these motors, (both motors use exactly the same head and cam gears) it would be adviseable to have it set by a tuner, but i gess you could put them in your self you'd just have to research the specs and work with that.

raff i will email you later this week about your cams as i am completeing a cam upgrade myself and i will descuss with you about it, i to only have the 1.8 (FP) motor

the idea of the adjustable cam gears are to get the most power out if your cams by adjusting valve opening and closing points as well as working out a good overlap, this is usually done buy a tuner with a dyno, once they are set you leave them like that as it will be the most powerfull efficient timing possible for your car with them cams

i am asking for these to be made so i can run sertain cams i am about to install in my car for when i turbo my car i little later into this year, but offering these to everyone so they can gain that little bit extra out of there motor.

Orion
17-02-2013, 07:59 PM
generate more interest, add a price.
If there is a decent enough group then I would guesstimate that the price would be somewhere around $2-300. The tricky bit will be getting the centres designed and produced. After that it is just time for the machine work on the stock cam gears.

I'm interested But I've got a stock motor would that benefit me? Also more info would be good… For example Chris (Ice88) Has an SP20 Are they the same for the 1.8 L? And if someone that has them can share their experiences with them for example can you tune the timing yourself or not? Do you need a different setting for everyday city driving and one for racing? Pros and Cons that sort of thing.

I'll answer some questions in dot points:
- will suit either FP or FS engines
- stock motors will have less benefit than modded motors
- you can adjust the timing yourself and there is information on the web about the effects (http://www.compcams.com/Pages/413/cam-timing-lobe-separation-angle.aspx)
- Unless you are going to cut a holes in your valve cover and timing belt cover, then you would probably only make an adjustment once in a while (6-12 months). On a stock motor you probably wont see enough of a difference to change it for a race day.
- Not too many cons, because you can always return the cam gears to 0-0 or put the stock ones back in. Lots of pro's (depending on adjustment) that range from improved fuel economy to improved power.

HAIGHIE
17-02-2013, 08:19 PM
If there is a decent enough group then I would guesstimate that the price would be somewhere around $2-300. The tricky bit will be getting the centres designed and produced. After that it is just time for the machine work on the stock cam gears.

thats exactly what i roughly quoted to swiftjimmy but didn't want to put a price up ATM because i have no idea yet, i do have a machinest down here who is really good at his work and takes great pride and works for him self so is reasonably cheap, but as chris said and it is totally understandable he doen't exactly just let his go as there to rear

Rafferty
18-02-2013, 10:50 PM
raff i will email you later this week about your cams as i am completeing a cam upgrade myself and i will descuss with you about it, i to only have the 1.8 (FP) motor

Cool cheers Andy.

Rafferty
18-02-2013, 10:51 PM
I'll answer some questions in dot points:
- will suit either FP or FS engines
- stock motors will have less benefit than modded motors
- you can adjust the timing yourself and there is information on the web about the effects (http://www.compcams.com/Pages/413/cam-timing-lobe-separation-angle.aspx)
- Unless you are going to cut a holes in your valve cover and timing belt cover, then you would probably only make an adjustment once in a while (6-12 months). On a stock motor you probably wont see enough of a difference to change it for a race day.
- Not too many cons, because you can always return the cam gears to 0-0 or put the stock ones back in. Lots of pro's (depending on adjustment) that range from improved fuel economy to improved power.

Thanks Darryl.

HAIGHIE
09-06-2013, 11:29 AM
BUMP,

although there's a lot of people moving on from there BJ mazda, i'm still keen on these and i'm pretty sure I could convince Ben Carney on a set also :)

sikwitit
09-06-2013, 03:33 PM
im interested aswell just ordered the corksport cam shafts

familiagtx
09-06-2013, 09:37 PM
im interested aswell just ordered the corksport cam shafts

I hope just the exhaust and not intake

familiagtx
09-06-2013, 09:39 PM
SR Motorsport have adjustable cam gears available on their website?

Orion
09-06-2013, 10:36 PM
SR cam gears are one of the ones that are not correct in their design. The Focus style cam gears are the only way to go.

HAIGHIE
10-06-2013, 02:15 AM
do you have a link orion??

Orion
10-06-2013, 09:33 AM
do you have a link orion??

Link for what exactly? :confused:

There are many links to threads that detail the flaws in the SR and Kkhasmank gears.

If you are asking about links for the Focus gears, then there are no current ones that I know of.

Ice88
10-06-2013, 09:55 AM
The CS cams are the same cams that we have stock in Aus except for CS power series cam which is an MSF copy.

No need for the intake cam sikwit.

SR Motorsport have adjustable cam gears available on their website?

Link for what exactly? :confused:

There are many links to threads that detail the flaws in the SR and Kkhasmank gears.

If you are asking about links for the Focus gears, then there are no current ones that I know of.

The SR and Kasman KK both cause problems as the cam pickups move when ajusting the cam. I cant remember off the top of my head if the SR gears cause this as well but there based on the same design so I imagine they will:

1. the cam sensor pick ups move when you adjust the cam gear. this is bad because they should remain fixed. adjusting cam gears are for adjusting the cam, not the cam *and* the sensor pick ups. this is why the tripoint cam gears are basically remanufactured stock ones.

2. the cam pickups are not the same size as the stock ones. they essentially do not work with a microtech ems, not only because the size of the bolts are bigger than the stock ones (giving the unit a longer signal than expected), but the distance between the 2 bolts is smaller than the stock distance. The stock ECU apparently can get around this somewhat not sure how really, given its referenced for the home signal but *shrug*

3. Incorrect Signals. the signal should be essentially be an off-on-off signal. with the centre of the bolt being down, the signal is off-on-juston-on-off.

@Haighie, Focus gears are the ones I have. Think Darryl has the tripoint gears. They have the same design I believe from what focus has said, never seen one myself they're pretty rare...

sikwitit
10-06-2013, 03:15 PM
i didn't get the intake only the exhaust cam but just thought i would mention it just incase its slightly different

familiagtx
10-06-2013, 07:38 PM
I understand.

Definitely sounds like Focus style ones are the way to go