PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used bridgestone potenza GIII's?

HI-RES
05-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Well thanks to seemingly bodged wheel alignments / camber problems, my two front tyres are seriously worn on the inside edge, in 2 instances down to the wire! On the bright side the rear tyres are fine, and I've gotten 40,000 out of them so far so its not all bad.

So far I'm opting to go with the bridgestones from what seems a good reputation from word of mouth etc. Size is 205/45/zr16. Been quoted $210ea which is about the maximum I will pay. Currently got toyo proxes z4s which are average to goodish, but crap in the wet.

Anyone used these or have better options?

JynX
05-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Have a look at Faulken Zeix. I have gone through 2 sets and loved em.

Best bang for the buck I could find. Expect around 200ish a tyre.

Cosmo Dude
05-04-2004, 03:27 PM
I had the Bridgestone Grid II previously and while they were good (lasted 40,000km) they were not as good as the Dunlop Formula (lasted about 30,000km on the front but 100,000km on the rear) which cost much the same.
The Goodyear Eagle I replaced them with about the same grip but they squeel like a school girl winning Robbie Williams tickets :lol: when I push it hard around corners.

Tyres like most things on your car can be a compromise. Price, grip, longevity and noise are all things to consider.

BigBoyLemonade
05-04-2004, 03:29 PM
I had the bridgestone potenza GIII and they were ok. they were not that great in the wet as I found out. (I had a car accident with them)

I would go a falken tyre but go the FK-451
They are awesome. Never had an accident with those tyres on.

the Falken Zeix ZE-326 is a good tyre but not any better than the potenza. 16" tyres are just as expensive or more expensive than 17's unfortunately.

P'cisT
05-04-2004, 03:55 PM
I have the exact tyres you're talking about. Bridgestone Potenzas GIII's in 205/45ZR16. All good to me. I paid the same as well, and since it's not much more than Falkens, I'd highly recommend them.

pr1mo
05-04-2004, 10:59 PM
/mike waits for a short list of tyres that Dunkey Munkey hasnt crashed on

Nate
06-04-2004, 07:35 AM
They are awesome. Never had an accident with those tyres on.

HAHAHA I like your reasoning!!

mike waits for a short list of tyres that Dunkey Munkey hasnt crashed on

nah dunkey dont crash he just blows up MAP sernsors :roll: HEHEHE

TURBO MAZDA
06-04-2004, 11:58 AM
I have Faulken Zeix, on my mazda, 205/40/r17 only cost me $150 a tyre

pr1mo
06-04-2004, 01:19 PM
jeesus thats cheap!

Nate
06-04-2004, 01:29 PM
205/40/r17 only cost me $150 a tyre

:cry: :cry: :cry: i just paid $225 a pop for Faulkens. Mine are Zeix ZE512 205/40/17's ...... MMMMMM seventeen inches * drools on keyboard*

JynX
06-04-2004, 03:21 PM
$225 a tyre... **** you got had. I got the same tyre for $185 6mnths ago.

$150/tyre... thats a mad price, you probably know people.

Nate
06-04-2004, 03:24 PM
goodyear will do that ... but i need 12 months interest free ... and the wheels were $100 off each

platypus
06-04-2004, 10:51 PM
i'm riding on GIII Potenzas... v. nice in my opinion, esp for the cash... there are better tyres around, but it all comes down to what you want

i found the GIII gives an exceptionally quiet ride, compared to all my previous tyre experiences, due to having a smooth pattern... the water stuff i have had no problems with, and i drive faster when its raining... ok i slow for corners... but i found it hard to loose grip... the directional treads only work when they are clearing water from the front... once you loose grip, the traction is harder to regain

all tyres are **** in the wet, i don't care what anyone says...

only real hassle i have is that they seem to wear down quite fast...i am yet to measure how much they have gone down, will be rotating v. soon... i usually get 50k+ out of tyres... due to lots of freeway driving...

oh yeah, mine cost $160, but i'm using 205/55/15

mrpayner
07-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Would compound contribute to tyre noise?

For example a tyre with a harder compound would make more road noise than a tyre with a softer compound?

AP

Cosmo Dude
07-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Tyre noise is largly caused by the shape of the tread pattern, when a leading edge of a square block hits the road is hits all at once it makes more noise than a diamond shaped block that hits little by little. The more horizontal the pattern the quicker it expells water. again with the compromise thing
It's the same with the gears in your gearbox, forward gears are hypoid (cut at an angle) and are almost silent while reverse is generaly straight and give a fair whirrrrr when operating.

platypus
07-04-2004, 12:51 PM
and yes compound will affect tyre noise too...

soft V+ rated tyres are generally quiet, while lower h rated tyres are generally noisier...

and yes rod thats correct, hence the gIII is quiet, due to the diamondy shapy sorta tread

P'cisT
07-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Would compound contribute to tyre noise?

For example a tyre with a harder compound would make more road noise than a tyre with a softer compound?

AP

Your example is true, harder compounds would certainly make more road noise.

HI-RES
08-04-2004, 08:40 AM
well I decided to go with the GIII's. Dropped the car off at Goodyear this morning for $205 a tyre. They mentioned to me while I was there they'd only found 1 tyre so far from the surrounding bridgestone suppliers....oh come on....called up 30 mins later to tell me there were no stock available of that size :evil:
So I ended up getting eagle F1s @ $160 ea.
I had a gut feeling these pricks were lying about the availability of bridgestones so I'd buy the eagles coz it appeared they are trying to get rid of them, being a goodyear branch and all...
I needed my brake pads replaced and was getting them to install my short shifter so I couldnt be bothered taking my car elsewhere....and they probably knew it. Conpiracy or paranoia, whatever, just as though its all sweet this arvo!!

BigBoyLemonade
08-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Should have tried a bridgestone dealer

HI-RES
08-04-2004, 03:16 PM
yeh but they didnt do brakes or mechnical, goodyear was the easiest option location-wise. Doesnt matter, the f1s were a fair bit cheaper, and I'll be selling the car later this year anyhow. Pick it up in 1/2 hr..

platypus
08-04-2004, 05:15 PM
your selling it soon?? then anything would of done!!! oh well, let us know how they go on the road!!

HI-RES
13-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Yep pretty happy so far with the eagle F1s. Havent noticed any squeaks or spin off the mark, cornering is good. Considering I still have 2 old tyres on the back, the handling improvement is impressive. For the relatively low cost I paid I reckon these tyres are a bargain. Look good with a bit of tyre shine as well.

Yeah I dont know for sure when I will sell the astina yet, it may be a while... I'm having some friends that import on the lookout for a familia gt-x / gt-r(keep wishin) ex-japan, after a cost is determined I'll have a better idea if its worth it or pick one up locally. If those ideas fail I might wait a bit longer and pick up a 2nd hand 206 gti....whoops that might be considered swearing in here..

in the meantime I cant stand sh*tty tyres!

cheers
mike

platypus
13-04-2004, 02:49 PM
yeah how dare you say second hand!

get a new pug!!! nice little machines, but the french are exceptional car makers.. with the exception of the citrôen5