PDA

View Full Version : Picking her up in the morning

NaughtyGT
11-08-2013, 07:06 PM
After much deliberation (alot of stuffin round & deciding) here is the new beasty I chose over 2 others. Picking her up in the morning. This IS for the long haul, as I intend to see this through to the end & employ all the knowledge I've learnt, mostly the hard way, to make it an awesome lil beasty & simply enjoy driving the thing.

Basically, I wanted to start with a street legal turbo model. This model has the forged bottom end so, similar to the earlier STi's so, that's one big tick ;)

I will have a little time off to think things through. I know these engines pretty well. Like most models, you have to know the model year changes before jumping to conclusions.

Few mods done by seller inc:

Stock twin T's swapped out for a huge single

Sporty black wheels

REX STi seats front & rear

I'll list any other things after I get it home & go over it in more detail Tues or Weds.

90% sure the suspension has stiffer springs/shocks. Don't have enough info on the stcokies to be certain. Sooooo new to these Soobydo's

Here's some pics:

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/LIBERTY%20B4/T2eC16FHJHYFFjz5jMBR48cZvjqQ60_57.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/LIBERTY%20B4/KGrHqJHJBwFGFW-2YRBR48cmZsRw60_57.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/LIBERTY%20B4/T2eC16NHJHoFGlZUPWNBR48cUH2bw60_57.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/LIBERTY%20B4/KGrHqNHJDcFHG6VodE0BR48cedTw60_57.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/LIBERTY%20B4/KGrHqVHJFFHh89mSZvBR48cbJMz60_57.jpg

rodhog
11-08-2013, 07:55 PM
one of my favourite shapes. for modifying you did pick one of the better.
being a wagon guy it's my only issue.

But looks nice and clean. good luck with it

Noble323
11-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Nice pick !
I've always loved these cars and they run pretty good .
Good luck - hope you pick up tomorrow with no hassles :)

Mad Mat
12-08-2013, 07:53 AM
nice looking ride ma :)

do you get the stock twins too???

marcs_sp20
12-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Liberty B4 too, nice!

Wouldn't it be a bit laggy with the single?

Mad Mat
12-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Liberty B4 too, nice!

Wouldn't it be a bit laggy with the single?

thats what i was thinking but the liberty are around the 1400ks mark and the wrs sti's are around the 1250kg mark.. so maybe he put it on there for the extra get up and go.. i got that info from a very good source ;)

Noble323
12-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Just seen more photos on carsales of this car, looks nice.
Wonder what single turbo it has ?

Mad Mat
12-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Just seen more photos on carsales of this car, looks nice.
Wonder what single turbo it has ?

maybe a VF34

smurfy
12-08-2013, 01:23 PM
We have matching wheels.. woooo

NaughtyGT
13-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Ah, smurfy, once you go black......hehe.

Noble, was a friggin good deal for cond it's in trust me. Needed nothing for roadie as it's been maticulously maintained. I'm friggin STOKED. Compared to the earlier blue Liberty (STI transplant etc) from earlier thread wasn't in the same league. I actually chose this over 2 other Rex's mainly due to it being this later model & the immaculate cond it was in. After the Merc BS, I needed a break man! Seller looked after this really well & to cut a long winded story, he'd bought it off an older dude who owned earlier Rex's etc. This guyz dad owned Rex's too so, they respect them I guess. You gotta watch 2nd hand Rex due to well known owner abuse. Natorious gear change tales on the forums. Scary really. If you abused this with this size turbo. Box wouldn't last long from what I've researched.

These were big big money new & I guess it's a Rex's fat brother? The turbo conversion & piggy back ECU, tune etc would have set orig' owner back a bit. The twin set up wasn't good if you read about it. Pretty ordinary.

Close again Mat :) It's a VF35 journal not the 34 bearing. This was the choice outta the 2 mainly as it has a slightly smaller rear to spool a little quicker than the 34. On record, lil' porka weighs in @ 1495kg with full tank so, close again Mat! She's a lil' porka yeah but, the STi Rex seats are prolly a tad lighter than the original leather? I'd prefer the leather though & may source some yet?

Marc, turbo's a little on the laggy side but I actually prefer it for 2 reasons. Your off boost/-pressure nearly the whole time you drive it through normal traffic so, economy in normal driving cond :cool: These engines are basically a Rex engine & almost Rex box so their tuff. I would've in hindsight gone for the next smallest turbo which would spool a little quicker for sure but you'd lose the higher range grunt. Really not much happening til about 3500? By 4000, full boost @ 17psi. I think @ 3250? begins pushing 5psi. I didn't push it past 6k revs as the oil colour was a bit ordinary (so typical aint it? was pretty annoyed, not good for turbo either :mad:) & it's almost due for timing belt change. Don't think I'll go for a FMIC as this would no doubt make it laggier. The small TM prolly helps the spool.

After driving it round for few hrs (hehe) up/down windy roads & on highway, you do need the extra grunt due to body weight I suppose so, not worried about it for now. Gear change is quite direct & notchy. Clutch is perfectly matched for how I like to drive. Really impressed.

So for now. It's off the road while I research how to do the timing belt & major service etc on these. I know you can get a clamp thing for the belt pulley removal. It's almost due for change. Will do a major service too while I'm at it. I still have the commodore as a daily for now with full rego so may as well chew through that for a bit. Give her a really good engine clean & purge (secret wizardry I learnt from an ol' pro when the Commy engine tappets went crazy hehe) Give it some new fluids all round. Cheack hoses, w/pump etc. Radiator was replaced approx 20k ago apparently.

NaughtyGT
13-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Prolly not do the timing belt just yet. May wait til it gets closer to the mark. I will need to change all the oils though. Hopefully do it in the morning. Flush engine @ least & put some nice 5w in. See how it likes it. Go from there. Haveb\n't had a chance today to look @ anything closely. Have been working since 8:30 & won't be finishing til near 11pm :eek: Had to help my wifeys worrk this morning then come to my work this arvy. Oh well.

Thanks Mat for details about shop ;)

rodhog
13-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Timming belt is a head ****. My only issue with subbies is Tbelt and clutch.
IMO everything else is better. You can do a service especially on late model post 98's including auto fluid and filters. So easy. Camry easy almost.

For those who wonder what a Twin T B4 is like. why most drop it. A Supra is smooth all the way. VVTI - is another level. Rx-7 FD you don't notice the first turbo die on either S6 or latters and yes S8 is best as long as all systems are right. pretty seem less.
GTO V6 - IMO smoothest simple push in back and holds okay.best shot of 2JZvvti.

The Subaru system is very very werid - you read this and that. I drove one in Sydney traffic 2 weeks down parra -road city west link - north Sydney. I was normally using my mother BA v6. The difference is GEAR selection. Your in the wrong gear or you find the right you don't know how it will go. It would frustrate you. It never felt consistent.
Some say it's like two light switches on and on. I never found that in a straight line. or if you took off at lights. - which I have to say was hard to do smooth even on stock clutch. even bedding it in as I was. This was fitted with MRT enhancements and I think it was ECUTEK on board it honestly down low felt worst. I never told the owner but the fact my mx6 would take him to 100km/h and he'd have to drive around me at the top end 140km/h plus. (on the track I swear) Twisty's it was all 4WD grip only. Punch it right out.

People who own them and love them never really go away from it. I love the quality hate the 4WD. Love the service and parts department.

morganluke
13-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Nice pickup. A B4 with a single turbo conversion is an epic win!

By 'basically a Rex engine' you mean, a Rex engine dropped into your car. The B4's can't just lose a turbo from the existing setup - they have to replace the engine completely with a Rex single turbo one. Do you know what engine did they put in it?

VF35 is a great turbo. Perfect compromise for street use and the occasional boost up the twisties ;)

Enjoy in good health!

NaughtyGT
14-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Nice pickup. A B4 with a single turbo conversion is an epic win!

By 'basically a Rex engine' you mean, a Rex engine dropped into your car. The B4's can't just lose a turbo from the existing setup - they have to replace the engine completely with a Rex single turbo one. Do you know what engine did they put in it?

VF35 is a great turbo. Perfect compromise for street use and the occasional boost up the twisties ;)

Enjoy in good health!

Hi Morgan, pleased to meet you & thanks :)

Your perfectly right. You can't simply rip the TT's off & replace it with a single (if only it was this easy) The single T conversion required a piggyback ECU among other things. Not sure on what brand/type was used? Seller did tell me when I picked it up but it escapes me now? I will be exploring all this myself this morning as I haven't had a chance to do anything else but check oil/fluid levels yet.

What I meant by the B4 basically being a Rex engine is, these EJ20's have the forged internals, funky valve train etc as does the earlier Rex STi engines. Also, the B4 Jap JDM's have similar power as the earlier V3/V4 Sti's. These Aus delivered B4's are de-tuned to use our crap fuel (98RON). If you were to do an import STi conversion, you would still have the 'tuning problem' to get around & tests here showed the B4 actually performed similarly to the STi's due to our 98RON limiting the STi's performance, allowing for the B4's added weight.

To better clarify why I brought up the Rex engine comparison, I had looked @ buying a MY98 Liberty just last week & wrote this on an earlier thread, which had a 97' STi V3 full import transplant. As both were Liberty's so, both weighing much the same (MY98 about 50kgs lighter) I opted for this later model for the extra money.

Without even a dyno, I'd say this B4 set up I have would punch out more power than a stock STi V3 & have similar engine strength. The gearbox, even though it has shot peened parts & some other goodies, this size turbo is really testing it's outer limits, much more than the TT's ever could. The STi's box would prolly be stronger still? Let's say I won't be punching it everywhere I go that's for sure.

Hope this clear up any confusion :)

NaughtyGT
14-08-2013, 07:05 AM
.....For those who wonder what a Twin T B4 is like. why most drop it. A Supra is smooth all the way. VVTI - is another level. Rx-7 FD you don't notice the first turbo die on either S6 or latters and yes S8 is best as long as all systems are right. pretty seem less.
GTO V6 - IMO smoothest simple push in back and holds okay.best shot of 2JZvvti....

Rod, the stock TTZX I owned for a short time I felt was very balanced. Nice power all the way the rev range. That was an auto though. Would luv to try a 5 speed in good nick. Other than the heat issues of course due to that V6 crammed into the ZX engine bay. Well known bad heat soak to the wiring looms not to mention the excessive heat on the COP leads. No room to put a spanner. Frightening :eek:

morganluke
14-08-2013, 08:43 AM
The STi box is definitely stronger... They get the infamous 6sp ;)

Should sign up to subyclub.com

:)

rodhog
14-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Yeah All twin turbo V6's have that heat issue. The GTO required many vacuum lines replaced but overall being 90% stock was fine. VG30's IMO better to work on being Longitudinal. but Age got them with the heat. Was one running around in a Datto1600 and don't know how that was worked on.

NaughtyGT
15-08-2013, 06:58 AM
The STi box is definitely stronger... They get the infamous 6sp ;)

Should sign up to subyclub.com

:)

Morgan I was referring to the earlier STI's. The 6 speed box you refer to were'nt available in the 90's era. That would be the replacement box of choice for sure if the time came. I hope it won't though.

The 5 speeds I referred to were these 90's model STi's/Rex's etc. There somewhat similar I think to the one in the B4? Maybe there not. I'll have to do some more research when I have some time off. I don't think they're all that weak though. Abusive tramping/gear changes aren't necessary. The 6 speed box's give a slower quarter mile time too. The reason behind the EVO's quicker time ;) I am on a few good forums. I'll take a look @ this one you suggest. Thanks :)

Forum info sometimes must be taken with a grain of salt too. Some knowlegable folk sure but also, there's half-truth's flying around. Always is. Sooby oxners are also infamous for the 'flat gear change'. Personally, I think it's crazy but that's me. If you abuse any clutch/box, it'll break/wear unless you modify it with internals above stock spec.

NaughtyGT
15-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Alot of confusion over the engine internals:

The tech manual states: The pistons are a hybrid type forged! Howz that for confusion haha. They are 'hypeutectic' & are cast yet are stated as being lightweight forged alum/moly coated :confused::confused::confused:

rodhog
15-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Forum info sometimes must be taken with a grain of salt too. Some knowlegable folk sure but also, there's half-truth's flying around. Always is. Sooby oxners are also infamous for the 'flat gear change'. Personally, I think it's crazy but that's me. If you abuse any clutch/box, it'll break/wear unless you modify it with internals above stock spec.

That is So true. I get asked how do I blow a gearbox with such low power. I just Tell them I was told my brake pads looked like they came from a Production race car.

The other thing is clutch. I really can't under stand how it is that in a car that can't really spin because it's 4WD and owners just can't slip a clutch. I can't have never understand why people don't use a clutch. Like it's designed to be.
Your not crazy either on the flat change the amount of Suby box's floating around Bankstown that had 1st and 2nd DOG - straight cuts. So I Can flat change but most owners Raped the dog rings. because they drove it like a syncro box.

I wouldn't worry too much over the pistons until you blow it. If you get it tuned right and keep it safe you might never need to open it etc.

I wanted to ask how is the wear rate on the pedal rubber? been looking at Liberty 3.0L- B and not impressed with the wear on the pedals. I suspect wear on the car higher then the KM's

NaughtyGT
16-08-2013, 08:40 AM
.....I wanted to ask how is the wear rate on the pedal rubber? been looking at Liberty 3.0L- B and not impressed with the wear on the pedals. I suspect wear on the car higher then the KM's

Rod, I have the STi pedals. Can't be sure when fitted so, can't give an accurate mileage sorry :o

z100
16-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Nice buy! I always had a soft spot for these cars. Remember seeing the B4 at the motorshow and thinking how awesome they were, then reading reviews and being dissapointed at how much people complained about the twin turbo setup's drive-ability. At least that issue is fixed for you! I still wish they bought the wagon variant of the B4(GT) over, or the Blitzen, now that was a cool looking legacy.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/danhurwitz/Legacy/Blitzens.jpg

The spoiler on the sedan looked mint, but the wagon was the one I always wanted! :cool:

NaughtyGT
16-08-2013, 10:26 AM
....Remember seeing the B4 at the motorshow and thinking how awesome they were, then reading reviews and being dissapointed at how much people complained about the twin turbo setup's drive-ability. At least that issue is fixed for you!.....

They were a pain mainly due to a horrid lag mid the secondary T coming on tune. Not thought out enough in the tech department. Why would you bring back the twins anyway when the Rex's had the single engines :confused: This B4 has full boost a good 800 revs earlier than the twin from reading the specs. Also, the B4 has higher comp so, better down low/off boost for city driving than the Rex for sure. Been reading up on this this morning.

.....I still wish they bought the wagon variant of the B4(GT) over, or the Blitzen, now that was a cool looking legacy......

Rod would agree with that ;) Yep, those wagons were nice for sure! I don't mind the sedan personally as wifey has a Commo wagon anyway on duel fuel so, we would use this if needed & especially long trips I guess.

NaughtyGT
17-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Faaaaarg! Took her for a good spin with wifey last night lol.....found some dirt roads that were prepared for bitumen hehe...........

4Th gear:

@ 3200rpm 12psi
@ 3400rpm 17psi (that's the boost limit setting)

Considering the twins didn't make full bosst of 14? til' 4800rpm ;)

Also, the comp ratio is 9:1 that's why it has sweet streetability.

Haha, can picture myself in my retirement years sayin' .....wifey! can I hot this thing up now? Come on dear, it's farked? Sorry, had a few beers & just jivin' :D

NaughtyGT
20-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Sure new to this oversteer man. Over corrected in one roundabout but was only coasting :eek: Wide turning circle like any 4WD but little too sharp for my driving style it seems. Too used to big RWD's or lil' FWD's. So, another learning curve.....

Think this may also have had the suss done. Hard to tell as I'm not too clued up on the stock arrangment v upgrades. Shocks & springs are yellow/orange. That's all I know lol. Just feels a little too tight for the boring, comfort-crowd these were aimed at?

Doing an economy test @ present so, no punchin it @ all for few weeks :eek: Filled her up on Sat arvy & wanna see the mileage I get from daily driving to from work & up to shops etc. Won't be doing too much highway driving @ all but there are medium stretches of 80kmh speeds to my main work place. Bit a stop-starting @ the other location. Both places are less than 20clicks each way so, unless I go for joy rides will report back in a few weeks......

Has a 65L tank I think. I'm hoping to get 600clicks from a full tank.....I can dream :p

NaughtyGT
22-08-2013, 10:16 AM
It's official lol.....I'm over this notchy #$%@ gearbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I grind 4th one more %^$# time haha...........

I preferred the close ratio MX5 box any day! One for Mazda ;)

Rant over :p

NaughtyGT
22-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Apparently, it's the type/brand of oil. Typical service centre numnut oli. Does anyone know where to get Redline & Motul gear oil from? I know Mat has put me onto someone for oils but I need to get out there where the shop is. That's the problem......

NaughtyGT
25-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Will be lowering boost to 5psi. I'm over poosy footing it through the gears, trying not to let boost come on too strong. Will see if I prefer this for everyday cruising?

NaughtyGT
28-08-2013, 06:24 AM
Awww, gotta laugh. Som much for the great 'boost reducing'. Stock T boost is set to 12psi haha. Can't go any lower. So this is where it stays. At least I can fang it through the gears (@ least 'til speed limit haha) & know the engines & box aren't getting thrashed.

Only disappointment I have really is the economy. Not flash, due to weight of car I guess. I'm currently seaking feedback on a site that has a few B4's with the single T conversion, to see their mileage figuires. Supposed to be better than TT set up, as boost is delayed down low. Built solid but you pay @ the bowser..........

On a side note. Suspension has been stiffenend quite a lot. Not sure on specifics but it doesn't care for any big bumps. Bang bang over anything substantial. Woulda thought the orig' suspension was adequate so, not sure why previous owner messed with it?

rodhog
29-08-2013, 12:13 AM
yeah the problem is your down low is still not enough to cover off boost performance.

Compared to say the modern Turbo engine with VVT etc. The economy comes from always using the right amount of fuel for the given load/rev.

The engine was more efficient as turbo twin due to less effort lower revs. now you need more revs no boost but with revs still comes your fueling.

A good example is - F2t and FE DOHC both same size injectors and both make same power. in KW's or at least close too.
But how can a 2.2LTurbo and 2.0L DOHC use same injectors - same fuel requirements to make same power. But the turbo is MORE efficient of the burn and because you don't rev it as hard off boost to get it going being a truck engine.
It actually returns better economy then the FE DOHC or even a FS would ever.

Even stock on highway the turbo would go longer. Yes retuned way better.
My FE DOHC can't get the 650km's even my old Stock F2 T with unichip would get with 50lt tank.

With the big single you have more N/A engine. IT's the down side.
Add in it's boxer and needs revs to make torque. Efficient power is not it's forte. But like all motors modern VVTI type systems and direct injection has made what would look like a poor combination of engine spec in the past into real performance motors all through rev range

NaughtyGT
29-08-2013, 06:20 AM
That's it in a nutshell Rod! I need to put it on a diet haha. There is one guy who stated he gets better economy from 18psi than @ 8!

Gotta live with it. Fun as hell to drive though, once you respect the gear changes that is. Touchy li'l bassad :rolleyes:

Clean_Cookie
29-08-2013, 07:08 AM
I paid $32/quart for shockproof last week.

NaughtyGT
30-08-2013, 07:17 PM
I paid $32/quart for shockproof last week.

Faaaaarg! Good stuff though for the ol' synchros ;)

Tbo, I am getting used to the a-hole gearbox :mad: Not the friendliest daily driver man I tell ya. Horn material yes but, really needs to chill :p

I haven't ground 4th again yet &.....450clicks from 48 litres (filled her up this arvy). I'm stoked haha. Was getting scared as the needle inched down. May not be great economy but I was looking @ a disaster. The friggin alarm is the only thing I'm over now. Wouldn't start after parking for 5 mins. Has a Mongoose alarm replacing stock gay set up........really testing ma patience ma :)

Clean_Cookie
30-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Lol sounds like you're just waiting for something to break so you can buy another mx5 and turbo haha

NaughtyGT
31-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Lol sounds like you're just waiting for something to break so you can buy another mx5 and turbo haha

Haha, there was a turbo'd NA model going not too long back but from what I read, was pretty stock internals. That's asking for trouble. Nah, the Sooby is pretty cool. You just have to get used to the notchy as hell box gates. Drive it as it wants you to. You don't get to slip up too easily. I haven't ground gears again since that **** of a day I had.

Running 12psi is a bit gay though. Come Monday, will be turning it up to 14psi then leaving it there :rolleyes: No serious :rolleyes:

The MX5 box was a gem though. Pretty hard to fault imo ;)

NaughtyGT
12-09-2013, 10:27 AM
hehe.......took it for a good fang on my day off yesterday, up a well-known windy Mornington Peninsula stretch. Was able to give 2nd & 3rd a good strap above 4krpm, where it shhhhhines! Was good to see it lifting the front suspension instead of crawling through traffic :o

Just a side note really as I enjoyed researching engine oil properties & dismissing myth after myth also yesterday mainly. SO easy to get bamboozled with which brand/type of oil you should use. There's actually a fair bit to it........

Bit of reading but, concise believe it or not. No need to read but someone @ least may find it interesting?

In-depth research on the various Synth oil additives etc & the poly compounds & molecular chain durabilitl/properties (you get the point - hrs & hrs of research) due to my engine oil becoming dirty within days of driving. Hmmmm.......well, found out that oils aint really oils after all. Not todays Synth oils anyway. Alot to understand with polymer additives, detergents etc etc. BUT, alot of BS to sift through & alot to understand in one go. I researched over a week or 2, on & off but intensely yesterday on my day off......

Cut to the chase! I since learned that the dirty oil colour that occurs pretty much straight away is quite normal in many engine types. Clean oil on the dipstick/in sump does NOT automatically = a clean engine. Period! Can be the complete opposite actually ;) If you can bother to research, heaps of good info on performance forums & bobistheoilguy site is a good start @ least.

In my case. Since the last owner babied it round town. Stop/start driving day after day. This caused some carbon build up, not detrimental @ this stage, on the engine. Simple enough? Btw, this engine is pretty quiet considering it is quad cam & uses no oil, no matter how I drive it!

In my own words, older dyno oils used in the old days, stayed clean yet, engines got coaked with carbon & sludge. Nowadays, modern oils have such efficient detergent properties & clean so well that, for example, many Sooby owners steer clear of high-end full synth oils such as Mobil 1. Others, swear by it! Some use a diesel oil each change. You need to know your engine! Don't go off another recommending you to buy this or that. Some engines drink certain oils like some folk drink beer (not me :rolleyes:) yet, they'll find an oil that goes the distance & seems quiet etc for them.

Forgetting "lube properties" from the metallic additives such as moly & zinc (cat ****as) either, only necessary when a severe metal -to-metal contact occurs, as a last line of defence. It is the harsh detergent additives that entrigued me most. Especially due to my dirty engine. NOTE: I have been running Penrite HPR5 Fully Synth 5W40 for the record. A good oil imho!!!

So, focusing on detergent properties only. In a nutshell. Oils today aint the oils they were in the past aka, when you drove your old HQ for 10k & the oil was clean. These modern Synth oils dramatically clean an engine so well. They can clean it too well & cause oil leaks in old/high-mileage engines & even knocking from heavy carbon deposits being dislodged around bores/rings, valves etc (no need to go on). Another danger is that these heavy carbon deposits, once dislodged can end up in tiny crevices inc, oil galleries & seals.

Conclusion. If your engine oil is still squeeky clean after it's been in for a good few k, you better hope it's due to an ultra-maintained engine & not an inefficient oil your using. One way to test would be put a mid/high-end fully synth oil with new filter in for 1-2k! On a serious note. Don't if your engine maintenance record is unknown or it is a high-mileage eng, unless you want it clean. Plenty nightmare stories of engines stuffed doing so without common sense.

For the record. I just dropped the oil after only 1k. Dirty as hell again. Now, I've put Penrite HPR Diesel 5 in, as I couldn't find the Mobil Delvac I wanted. Why? Diesel oil has higher quantity of detergents added & I'm still not happy knowing the engine is so dirty even though I always run 98RON (have to in this). I plan to leave it in for 3-4k. Drop it & expect to see the nastiest crap ever! Then I may use a 10W40 & leave it for 8k. Regular oil changes under this is not warranted with fully Synth oil. There are those who change oil out every k. Rediculous! Race oils are not better btw. They have different properties, mostly unfit for everyday road use. They contain more anti-wear additives (zinc/moly) for the high heat/stresses encountered with racing BUT, fewer detergents! Why? They get changed often so, the detergents needed for long-drain intervals for street use & marketing :rolleyes: isn't important for racing. Lub is!

Having siad this. If dino's your thing. Cool. Just change oil regularly. I choose to use a good quality dino oil in my wife's VY 6 Comydoor & just change it regularly. 8k. No point in an expensive Synth oil if your not driving it hard/towing long trips & expecting it to last for 14k mileage etc. These synth oils have very flexible molecular chains that endure heat stress for way longer than the dino oils, which also helps them achieve the flexible 5w/10w40-50 properties, without the need for much more "polymer additives" as is needed with the dino oils. Their molecules are able to stretch more allowing them to achieve these greater viscosity ranges with little poly additive.

Mad Mat
12-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Hav u runacan of that subaru carbon cleaner thru it too??? That helps heaps.. Supose to do it every 10k

Mad Mat
12-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Btw that was my 4500 post haha

NaughtyGT
12-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Hav u runacan of that subaru carbon cleaner thru it too??? That helps heaps.. Supose to do it every 10k

Ha Mat. Read into that yesterday. Just need the time to pull the TMIC off to get to the TB. Or I can spray it through a sensor plug hole on manifold? It's pretty harsh stuff I heard. Need to see first if it was done last service. I know where it was serviced so, will contact them first :)

Need to do it just before you drop the oil too. I want this diesel oil in for a bit of a haul this time. Getting expensive lol....

NaughtyGT
12-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Btw that was my 4500 post haha

4501 now, didn't last long haha. Editied the long post too. It seems to be Mobil 1 some of the Sooby guyz hate. Some luv it. Due to the high detergent properties......I only mention it as it's so expensive & you need to know what to expect to save a shock soon after :eek::)

I remember pulling into a tyre service department in Wagga NSW to check oils/fluids in wifeys Commodore on the way back from picking it up from Sydney. Guy wondered why oil was so dirty? Well, I knew for a fact the car had had so many service intervals it was rediculous. That engine is clean as. Runs great. Burns no oil.Hows this for a laugh. The guy, I know he was only trying to help but, he also told me that the engine oil capacity should be 3.8L. Was amazed how it had nearly 2litres more?.....hahahahaha.....the friggin ecotec V6 commies hold 5.5L. He worried the crap outta me @ the time. I can laugh now. He was talking about the CC 3800 hehe..........

Mad Mat
12-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Ha Mat. Read into that yesterday. Just need the time to pull the TMIC off to get to the TB. Or I can spray it through a sensor plug hole on manifold? It's pretty harsh stuff I heard. Need to see first if it was done last service. I know where it was serviced so, will contact them first :)

Need to do it just before you drop the oil too. I want this diesel oil in for a bit of a haul this time. Getting expensive lol....

There is a how to on you tube.. U dont need to remove the tmic.

NaughtyGT
12-09-2013, 11:05 AM
There is a how to on you tube.. U dont need to remove the tmic.

I just read it's a good way to jam the TB butterfly open & spray the extra half can down there while it's running? Thanks for heads up ofr the UTube :)

Was also considering the dirty fuel we have here in OZ & how that would effect oil between changes. If your synth oil gets dirty quick, what's that say about our fuel quality :o

Mad Mat
12-09-2013, 11:17 AM
BOOM THERE IT IS..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZuU7DOuOqM

NaughtyGT
12-09-2013, 11:27 AM
BOOM THERE IT IS..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZuU7DOuOqM

Thanks Mat :) You the BOMB! I read a post yest stating to remove some hose & then....,you post the vid! Cheers m8

NaughtyGT
16-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Getting used to this box & gear changes. The more you drive it the easier it is. Sux when cold. Although engine temp reaches normal op' temp in like 3-4mins :eek: G/changes still suck until you drive for a bit, then they behave like any other close ratio box I guess. Still get the grind now & then so will definately change oil for a Synth wheeeeen I have the time :rolleyes:

15psi gives a nice push in the seat & I can't believe the economy is pretty much unchanged no matter how I drive, within reason ;)

Just need to sign it up to Jenny Craig haha......

Maybe too early to tell yet but oil may be a little cleaner this change round?

familiagtx
16-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Nice gen3

NaughtyGT
18-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Got an Innovate digital WB AFR gauge & sensor from NZ for a good price, to go with my boost & oil pressure gauge I picked up last week.

Have seen these mounted on a Gen2 Liberty pillar. Might be the go. Anyone know where you can get custom pillar panels? Pods?

NaughtyGT
26-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Still awaiting return email from US concerning the custom pillar pod so, if whether is fine tomorrow, or next few days may look @ a temporary fitment of the WB o2 sensor & gauge. Really want to know the AFR's @ 15psi? Then 17.

This way, I may leave it back @ 17? At least I'll know this aspect of the tune that was done years back. Annoying noone on local forums knows of the owner who performad conversion & @ least, where the dyno was done.

Car performs without a hickup other than a hesitation now just @ start up like it begins too rich, then the ECU compensates. Not enough to be concerned about but, think it's a good time to view the AFR's :cool:

NaughtyGT
01-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Concerning the pillar pod, guy in US expected me to send over my pillar panel first so he could make it. Yeah right :rolleyes:

Anyway. Glad I didn't get him to make me one. Besides the boyz in blue not keen on them, I found a better way.

GT Foresters & Rex's alike use dash pods. This way, gauges are in good eyeview roughly along the line of instrument cluster.

So, after looky looky I found a guy who sells via the bay & ships out here (some Euro zones don't) & most sellers sell the gauges with pods. No help to me as I have the guages, esp the WB o2 sensor gauge I specifically wanted. This guy sells the pod alone for reasonable price & freights here for free :cool:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/02-07-Subaru-New-Age-WRX-STI-Triple-Gauge-Dash-Pod-/400571465921?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d43eb80c1&_uhb=1

So, I purchased it today & will post some mock install pics once it's here. May take a few weeks but, US is usually pretty quick.

Want this to be as professional a job as I can make it so it looks as if it's kinda meant to be there. Will need to cut/drill dash pad etc so it looks tasteful, without drawing attention etc.

On a side note, managed to get my ol' Commy in the back shed so it's outta this horrid Vic weather so I can start removing fuel tank etc to replace pump. Next will be removing petrol injectors & soaking them & eventually, get it running on petrol for the first time in well over 6 months. Battery didn't hold charge for long. Poor Sooby had to rev for a long while to charge it enough to start it.

Anyway, things you have to friggin do huh..................

Mad Mat
01-10-2013, 07:29 AM
So where is this pod going to sit?? As with the rex's here is a clock on the dash, and the pod sits over the top of it and u basically delete the clock, this allows u a location to run ur wires thru rather than drilling a hole..

(Been driving that rex again this week :) i sort of want one now lol)

NaughtyGT
01-10-2013, 07:48 AM
So where is this pod going to sit?? As with the rex's here is a clock on the dash, and the pod sits over the top of it and u basically delete the clock, this allows u a location to run ur wires thru rather than drilling a hole..

(Been driving that rex again this week :) i sort of want one now lol)

Mat. It will be a no holds barred drill away, cut & chop suey job haha.......jokes aside, it will go roughly where that clock facia sits in the Rex's. I don't care whatever it needs to go there. I just can't put it below the stereo in centre console. Howz that work when you have to look down to view AFR's @ 6krpm :eek: Nooooooooooo, chop chop I say :D

Mad Mat
01-10-2013, 07:51 AM
http://t.qkme.me/3ptk1g.jpg hee hee

NaughtyGT
01-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Haha, it won't be a bodge job Mat but I have to do whatever it takes so it looks a good fit. I welcome day light savings coming here soon as I need to get the commy done as well so, nice projects for a while. The weather down here in Vic has been farked the last several months. Rain/wind/sun/wind/rain.........move back to Q in a sec if it wasn't for work here........

Mad Mat
01-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Yer the weather up here is great :) altho im at Ulladulla atm on holiday :s

Mad Mat
03-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Update time...

NaughtyGT
03-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Update time...

Aw, nothing Matt. The lil' Mazda has taken me over haha. I never ended up fitting the dash pod to the Sooby.

Plan is to get the Mazda up & running, engineered & use it as a daily so I can put the Sooby off the road to do the timing belt & a custom FMIC maybe? Don't wanna rush it as there's little engine bay room to do much.

Also have the Commo to still fix up to sell so, bit snowed under for a while :o Still enjoy the Sooby as a daily for now hehe :D