PDA

View Full Version : Movies - Sci fi/horror/x

MrShadow
12-12-2002, 03:58 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hey Mal, thought I'd start a new topic rather than waffle on in the Avatar one.

My mates and I actually sit through movies and pull them to pieces. Although we all love the Alien series, we've picked out every single fault and discrepancy there is (that we can find anyway). Same with just about every other movie. Lord of the Rings, RE, Austin Powers, The Mummy etc.

Kinda sad aint it?

Anybody else wanna comment on movies? See our opening comments in the "Your Avatar" topic re: Resident Evil, The Fifth Element (and Mila of course!)[/color:post_uid0]

pr1mo
12-12-2002, 06:50 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Mr shadow.
u got a nice setup at home going? big TV? amps etc... lemme know

cheers mike[/color:post_uid0]

bRaDiNhO
12-12-2002, 07:10 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]If u dont, talk to me. Ill get u a projector, amp, speakers, whatever in Sony at cost when i get back. Can get it at about cost + 5% on Pioneer, Kenwood, Panasonic, Jamo.

Got a projector for free..... :D and bought the surround sound. Good deal. Makes DVDS reaaaaaaallllllll good. oh, i miss tv. I dont have anything over here! :(

Movies - in Lord of the Rings all they did was go for a walk. I know it was a lead on into the next film, but it pissed me off that they had just walked to a forest and then the film ended. I don't think there is any movie without a fault - Sci-Fi isnt real, so thats a fault. Scifi aint my thang.

XXX had faults..... many...... but was fun to watch. Better than Die another DAy. Worst Bond movie ever,.[/color:post_uid0]

O-LYM-PIC
12-12-2002, 08:10 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]just saw this thread now, but im sticking with my convictions that the godfather is the greatest ever movie. in my mind the first movie is as close 2 a perect movie as u'l ever get, especially for the age.

like mrshadow, we sit thru the godfather and pull it apart, and i think i got the hole lot off by heart. and the dvd set has some of the maddest special features.

other than the godfather, i like movies like lock stock, and snatch, scarface, usual suspects- movies with a twist, and alot of action!!!!

and brad, when u get back im gettin a projector off u. k- dont 4get.[/color:post_uid0]

Sandyman
12-12-2002, 08:16 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]Austin Powers 2: the time travel is realy ****ed up. if he went back in time after heather graham got killed in the gas thingo, and then saved her...that couldn't have happened. if he had of come back from the future, he woulda saved her and the scene where she dies wouldn't have been existent. also, after the place starts to explode, "austin from 10 minutes ago buggers off into the time machine. unless he went back in time 10 minutes ago to do what the austin 10 minutes from now did, and save heather, it doesn't make sense!

If anybody is still with me here, or understands a word i am saying, i commend you on your intelligence.[/color:post_uid0]

pr1mo
12-12-2002, 08:18 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]brad, when are you getting back? which projector did you get for free?! and how i wonder. its something id like todo to finish off my system oneday in the distant future

ive had my eye on the vplhs10 for a little while. i think it may be superceeded soon though..

seen here (http://www.sony.com.au/product_detail_content.asp?CCod=19633&CCod2=18786&ProdCod=VPLHS10)

cheers mike[/color:post_uid0]

Sandyman
12-12-2002, 08:18 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]Oh, and a movie that i recommend u should see: Full Metal Jacket

Very good movie about vietnam war. couldn't find anything wrong with it. :D[/color:post_uid0]

bRaDiNhO
12-12-2002, 04:41 PM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]How i got the projector? Its not sony, its 3M, which as i posted once before my dad works for. When his division were changing over projectors, we got one of the ones which were gonna be thrown out. I admit, its not as good as the Sony ones, but its good enuff that i had a few good World Cup parties on a 10 foot screen and the Formula 1 is pretty good on it too.

Mike, just looked at your link. The projector u put up is a brand spanking new mid range projector. Has got the 3 LCD panels of the high end projectors which never sold too well as they cost $12000. doesnt have the inputs for high definition digital tv, but otherwise looks to be an absolute bargain. Resolution is good for an HT projector, brightness seems to be quite good. As a general rule, count on about 15% off that price to get a good deal. I dont know much about it, so cant really tell u. But the one below it for $5000 i was able to make $4300.

Brad[/color:post_uid0]

bRaDiNhO
12-12-2002, 04:45 PM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]Thats two orders:
Mike for projector.
Mal for big rear pro tv.

Anyone else?

:cool:

Brad[/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
12-12-2002, 09:42 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Anyone else?[/quote:post_uid0]Yeah, I'll go a full home theatre setup. Actually, me dream has been to build a shack out the back and fill it with audio/visual/computer/game equipment. Nice, comfy charis, home theatre, computer network, PS2, Gamecube, X-Box etc. Oh, yeah baby.

Oh, Heather Grahame can sleep over any time she wants.. :;):

And the Godfather (1st movie) is probably one of the best movies ever. My friends and I know pretty much ALL lines from Aliens SE by heart.[/color:post_uid0]

O-LYM-PIC
12-12-2002, 11:55 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]yeah imagine playin GT3 on a screen that huge!!!!
awsome
so like i said b4 brad, put me down 4 one.[/color:post_uid0]

kyra
13-12-2002, 12:19 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]all i have to contribute is 4 letters...

FBDO

anyone...anyone....???[/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
13-12-2002, 12:37 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]WTF is FBDO[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
13-12-2002, 02:33 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]haha Ferris Buellers Day Off?

yeah i'm a big Bond fan. have all the videos, some of the original narrow posters. favourute movies include

Better Off Dead (early John Cusack - go see it)
Gone in Sixty Seconds (original)
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Austin Powers (the first one)
Strange Days (mmm Juliette Lewis)
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
The Big Steal
Plan 9 from Outer Space :;):

and more i alway forget[/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
13-12-2002, 02:50 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Monty Python & the Holy Grail[/quote:post_uid0]

How could I forget that classic? [i:post_uid0]Nee[/i:post_uid0]! :p[/color:post_uid0]

Sandyman
13-12-2002, 03:22 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]Up with monty python! don't forget "ping!" and "neeeaywong!"[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
13-12-2002, 04:48 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Glad to see that Aliens SE rocks a lot of boats. Its my
favourite Sci Fi Movie. Almost wore out my Laserdisc
version before I got it on DVD. One movie you must see
is T2 Special Edition, makes the movie totally different.
I also love half horror sci fi's like Event Horizon,Supernova
Predator etc. Basically I just Love Sci Fi.
Apart from that movies like Ronan, Usual Suspects, Heat,
Man in the Iron Mask, Blade,The Professional,The Replacement
Killers, 13th Warrior, The Negotiator, The Last Boyscout &
Swordfish would have to be some of my Favs.

Regards

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

MrShadow
13-12-2002, 04:53 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I also love Event Horizon. Spooky film that one. Have you seen Sphere? Another excellent Horro/Sci Fi. I ahev Aliens SE on video taped off the TV. I reckon it's starting to wear now..... [i:post_uid0]"Where's the real pretty **** now man?"[/i:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

bRaDiNhO
13-12-2002, 07:55 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]Very good list Mal. Im pretty much the same, except Blade, and ive never seen the 13th warrior. Ronin is no. 1 tho. awesome movie.[/color:post_uid0]

Sandyman
13-12-2002, 07:59 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]i'm more into comedy than sci-fi, however, it does make the odd appealing movie.

event horizon was bloody queer. sphere was also a bit screwed.

one of the crappiest sci-fi's ever (in my opinion) is blade runner. i can never seem to watch it past the first 5 scenes.[/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
13-12-2002, 08:08 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid14]Well, combine "Comedy" and "Sci Fi" and you have the FIth Element!!! :)[/color:post_uid14]

Sandyman
13-12-2002, 08:18 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]good point. i gotta start typing more in these box thingies so as not to waste space...[/color:post_uid0]

mrpayner
13-12-2002, 11:46 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Actually, the book for "Sphere" was heaps better than the movie. I read it first before seeing it and as you guys would imagine, your mind does a better [or different] job of creating the scenes, etc. Sphere was a huge let down for me. It's good to see that we've got another Bond freak on here [Daniel!! :D ] I might be heading over to the Regent in Ballarat this arvo to watch Die Another Day. Should be a good one. I'll have to think about what my all time greatest movie is......oh, wait a minute. Toy Story 2. That's it!! I love that movie. I've got the "Ultimate Toy Box" 3 DVD set. It rocks. There's still a little bit of 'kid' in everyone to appreciate these movies, I also have Monsters Inc. **** that's funny!

Adam[/color:post_uid0]

O-LYM-PIC
14-12-2002, 12:04 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]best cartoon movies are shrek (hiliarious) and alladin (ultimae classic). monsters inc is good 2 tho. but those r the best 2 by far!!! ohh yeah herculies is pretty good too.[/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
14-12-2002, 12:28 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]good to see that we've got another Bond freak on here [Daniel!! ][/quote:post_uid0]

Add another to the count. Crap acting, dodgy story lines, but still just a fun movie series[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
14-12-2002, 12:35 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]i almost got DJM007 numberplates once...LOL...oh dear :;):

not sci-fi, but for some reason 'A Night at the Roxbury' cracks me up...(that one's gonna polarise opinions!)[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
14-12-2002, 02:33 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]If we are going to step into Cartoons as well reckon
Titan AE rocks, also the Iron Giant is cool. *Shrek yeah
baby !! *Don't forget A Bugs Life as well.

Adam,
* * I think books are always better than movies. *The mind
can create so much more than a movie can. *You also have
the issue of taking something that takes weeks to read and
shortening it to 2 hours. *But I am a visual person so still
love seeing things on the big screen.

Regards

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

bRaDiNhO
15-12-2002, 08:37 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]Shrek was good, but didnt love it. There were some hilarious bits, but i think other funny bits just got lost coz the whole nthing was so real. Absolutely amazing animation in that tho. Cant get better![/color:post_uid0]

mrpayner
15-12-2002, 10:18 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I agree totally Mal.

Dan, A Night at the Roxbury cracked me up too. A friend showed me that movie and i thought it was the best. It's one of those "stupid funny" movies that most people love. Good music too.
I also like "Evil Woman" [aka in the states as 'Saving Silverman']. It's got Jason Biggs, Jack Black & the oh so gorgeous Amanda Peet [TV show Jack&Jill, also in The Whole Nine Yards]. She's one hot girl.

Hey, has anyone seen the new Janet Jackson Live in Hawaii DVD at all?? I was thinking of buying it......

Adam[/color:post_uid0]

pr1mo
15-12-2002, 01:38 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]i can get the james bond 19 disc bond boxset at cost for anyone interested in it! rrp is like $360 :P[/color:post_uid0]