PDA

View Full Version : BG rear speakers - parcel shelf

andrewgrazier
17-04-2004, 03:08 PM
If anyone has made their own shelf would they post pics of it here?
im about to make one
but after looking at it
its not a flat sheet
well it is
but at the back it actually droops down n well
yeah
sooo if anyone has taken some pics please post them:D

Cosmo Dude
17-04-2004, 03:12 PM
http://www.astinagt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2343
Their are pictures of one here.

joe_mazda
17-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Yeah thats my shelf. Easy enough to do but carpet it instead of varnish!

It stinks on a hot day, so i might strip it all and start again soon..

don't attempt it in the rain! nightmare putting electrical tools away :D

andrewgrazier
20-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Im gonna get some 320 W Kenwood 7x10s, there is plenty of room for them
they are heaps cheap at the moment at only $199 at newcastle prosound so might be even cheaper than that
im quite disapointed with alpines OVER RATED propaganda about all their speakers and even head units.

Laser the Amazer
20-04-2004, 10:55 PM
The standard 1's are worth a fortune

I am getting a new one thru insurance for my BG

Mazda quoted the smash repairers $387 for it

odd-12c did my one in the laser, carpeted and painted underneath

come out very well

Rob

JynX
21-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Im gonna get some 320 W Kenwood 7x10s, there is plenty of room for them
they are heaps cheap at the moment at only $199 at newcastle prosound so might be even cheaper than that
im quite disapointed with alpines OVER RATED propaganda about all their speakers and even head units.

A mate of mine has some Kenwood 6x9s he bought which are yet to be used. Interested?

Didnt fit in his Falcon.

geetee
26-04-2004, 07:55 AM
hey guys,
just done my back shelf today, all i did was glued a 9mm sheet of mdf to the bottom of the original shelf then fitted my sony 6x9`s as usual. looks pretty good and easily strong enough. i`ll be posting some pics tomorrow sometime. only took me 2.5 hours too!!!! can`t believe the sound difference even without amps. (they`re coming soon!) i`ve got a goodmans hu with 4x30 watts and a 6 disc changer. i`m looking quite seriously at another pair of 6x9`s in my front doors. will keep updated. :D

joe_mazda
27-04-2004, 01:42 AM
nice to see you did it the proper way :D

i'm re-sanding mine back down because of all the varnish. Im then going to carpet it...like you said!

the front speakers are a real doddle to do!

lamby1986
27-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Well as for 6x9" in the tray, i think the tray is standard, although i cant be sure as they were in there when i bought the car and dont no anyone to compare to, but it doesn't look tampered with.

I do have one question though; next to the parcel shelf on both sides, is a little somewhat triangle shape of carpet and its coming up, and theres a set of rear speakers underneth. Are they ment to be there and be used? or is it something installed then covered over (which seems stupid imo)?

joe_mazda
27-04-2004, 03:42 PM
i spotted that the other day, dunno what they were used for?

there not wired in or anything, and covered up as well?!

and there only tiny little speakers

geetee
27-04-2004, 09:07 PM
they are 4 inch 25w din standard speakers and they should be wired up. thats where i took the wires for my 6x9`s from. you unclip the panel up the way at the rear seat then slide the wee panel forward to get it off.

Nate
27-04-2004, 09:57 PM
i had to drill my old ones out ... they were hooked up but very very dead and were not to keen on moving hehehe :mrgreen:

geetee
28-04-2004, 02:37 AM
i just left mine in place and used the cables for the shelf speakers. had to drill a small hole in the plastic boot trim to feed them through. if you leave the covers off the old speakers it makes a handy drinks holder for rear passengers!! :lol:
oh and i just noticed today that i must have snapped one of the plastic clips that hold my shelf in place :evil: bloody shelf moves and squeaks and its a complete pain in the bottom! :(

geetee
28-04-2004, 06:08 AM
hey guys,
here`s pix of how i done my shelf.
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/nellyeff/images/parcel%20shelf.jpg
i used 9mm mdf.
make a paper template.
cut it out and stick to the bottom of the shelf with contact adhesive.
make sure you get it in the right position coz you won`t be able to unstick it!
cut holes for speakers as normal.
no need to retrim and its well strong enough for a pair of 6x9`s.
paint underside if you want.

joe_mazda
29-04-2004, 02:41 AM
Nice one neil! :D :lol:

rear speakers make a lot of difference
I've made enquires about parcel shelf carpet for mine, i managed to sand down all the paint/varnish!