PDA

View Full Version : Combatting 97 Astina Wheel-Area Voidness

mutek
26-04-2004, 06:06 PM
guyz at the momment i was thinking of upgrading from 16" alloys to 17" but im seeing little point and i had an idea to get rid of all that vacant space in wheel area ...

17" alloys + tyres dont really seem to be worth it atm ... considering i have 16" alloys as standard ...

so im thinking that when i need to get my tyres replaced ill get thicker tyres on the back while the tyres on the front wont be as thick ...

for eg ill get 255/40/16 on back with 205/50 on front (and yes im pretty sure 255 on rear wont fit but it was an eg.)

once lowered by 2" i could put some spacers in to give it a more aggressive wider look

im thinking this could be better than getting 17"ers... any thoughts ?

will it work?

cheers

mrpayner
26-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Not only could it handle funny [ie much different to what you're used to because you've now possibly over-tyred yourself], it will without a doubt look funny having different height profiles too..

If you're going to lower your car as part of it's handling capabilities, then a spring manufacturer like Whiteline who concentrates on performance rather than cosmetics, will retain the same lowering height all around. Other manufacturers, like Jumbo Allsprings, will tend to make the car look flatter and thus alter the centre of gravity of the car. By flatter I mean that they could lower the back end of the car more than the front or visa-versa to make the guards seem like they've been filled out.

It is a good idea to run the same profile tyre for a standard road car on all 4 corners. I don't think there would be any benefit in running different width tyres either on an Astina, not to mention that 225's probably won't fit at all.. 205's are what most of the fellas use on here.. from about a 6.5" - 7.5" rim. Unless you've got a HotRod 8) ..

This useful Tyre size calculator (http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html) will guide you in making the right wheel tyre combination.

IMHO, lowering 2 inches using Whiteline Flatout lowering coils on 17" rims will leave a permanent smile on your dial.. :D <-- Much like this little bloke.

Regards
Adam

mutek
26-04-2004, 11:38 PM
actually the main reason this came into mind bc on the porche (yes i know its sports car not road car) it has 255/40/17 on back with 205/50/17 on front (but its RWD so it prob helps having more rubber + no1 sits in back so comfortability is not an issue :D )

see i dont know about upgrading by 1 inch though for the money involved ... im prob just gonna lower my car by 2".

do tyre places in brissy lower cars ?

Zed
27-04-2004, 07:10 AM
Lowering while keeping the stock wheels is a good first step to getting rid of that excess wheel well area. That's what I've done with my SP20 and it looks a ton better than factory.

pr1mo
27-04-2004, 08:22 AM
the widest tyres you can go on the astina would hafta be 215's on a 7.5" wide rim

mutek
27-04-2004, 04:06 PM
pr1mo would 10 mm make any diff in terms aestheticly? it'd prob give you more grip though wouldnt it ?

pr1mo
27-04-2004, 04:16 PM
the problem you have is that the V6 rim width is 6.5 . pretty wierd size. the max ude wanna go would be 205 wide as (as u go for a tyre any wider) you increase the likeleyhood of having tyres billow over the edges, hitting struts or ,worst case scenario, roll off the rim.

17"s and lowered DO make a diffrence ery worthwile in my mind

cheers mike

Cosmo Dude
27-04-2004, 05:58 PM
The maximum I'd go on 6" rims would be 215 (had these on an old work Commodore); 6.5" rims are 12.9mm wider so 215 or even 225 will fit your rims and suit them fine. Only consideration should be the distance between your current tyre and the strut (remember tyres flex on corners).
Check one of the above stickies for more info. The tyre width is the first part of the code in millimetres and the difference will be shared between the inside and outside of the tyre.

mutek
27-04-2004, 10:53 PM
wut kind of tyres would i use (eg. im using 205/50/16's now)

and secondly wut offsett would i use 17" x ? "

thx guyz

1 more thing -- ive been ringing around to get car lowered ... wut are the good places in brisbane and wuts a decent price?

the 2 ppl i have gotten quotes from have said that if i lower my car by 2" i should get new shockies.

so should i? here's quotes so far
The Tyre Factory Tingalpa - $300 for just lowering - $1100 for lowering and shocks

Falken Marooka - $600 for just lowering - $1500 for lowering and shocks

cheers

pr1mo
28-04-2004, 08:54 AM
$300 just for lowering sounds way too cheap. most places will charge that just for the springs.

with shocks it depends on whats going in. koni and kyb are two better examples of shockers for the astina wheras pedders and monroe are one step down. just be careful with regard to what they are offering you :)

cheers mike