PDA

View Full Version : Lowering springs...easy?!

joe_mazda
28-04-2004, 04:52 AM
hello,

Just ordered myself some lowering springs in time for the weekend.

So, anybody got any advice for things that might be a problem.
I've checked the guide for the BA, but dosen't say about the problems you encounter.

Hopefully i'll have it done in a day! :lol:

i've got spring compressors, spanners, sockets etc so i think i'm covered for tools, but any other suggestions would be a bonus!

mutek
28-04-2004, 10:06 PM
depends on how much ur lowering it by -- i got myself some quotes and all the ppl said i should get new shockies to handle the lowered car (i have BA 97 model btw)

geetee
29-04-2004, 02:36 AM
the biggest prob you`re likely to have is rusted bolts. make sure you use plenty wd40 and make sure your sockets/spanners are a good fit on the bolts coz they`re gonna be tight and you don`t want to skin your knuckles. also make sure you take note of how the front strut top mounts go back together, its easy to fit them 180 degrees out. mark the parts with tipex or something. its also worth loosening the shock top mounting bolt before you jack the car up. a pipe wrench is handy to hold the large nut when you tighten the shock back up. last thing is obvious but some do it, don`t put axle stands under your back axle or you`ll have to move them!!
if you going 35mm lower you`ll notice a big difference in handling, i did. but i don`t think you`ll need new shocks. standard ones are pretty good.
good luck , and mind the photos!! :D

joe_mazda
29-04-2004, 02:49 AM
cheers neil.

Got my spax springs (same as yours) today, so fingers crossed it stays a bit dry for the long weekend.

my springs cost me £127 delivered from demon tweeks, but i did pay £5 for quick delivery because i did'nt want to wait 10 days!

i want to get going now, but it'll take a few hours to do!

geetee
29-04-2004, 02:58 AM
think it took me about 4.5 hours. you`ll find that once you`ve done one strut the rest are a lot easier/quicker! :D

ROB-80E
29-04-2004, 07:10 PM
sockets/spanners are a good fit on the bolts coz they`re gonna be tight and you don`t want to skin your knuckles.

Oooo yeah, I remember that quite vividly!! :cry: Was on the rear and trying to get a nut undone and because I was on the side that I had to push the ratchet, it slipped off and my right hand went straight up the inner guard...put it this way, all the dried up mud and tar makes a big mess of your finger knuckles and top hand knuckles.

Geetee summed it up perfect. Once you've done the first one, its easy. with 2 people you should be able to knock it over in 2 hours.

Cosmo Dude
29-04-2004, 07:23 PM
I hope the shocks are in good order, I replaced the front springs on the Cosmo but the shocks were in such a bad way I had to replace them to put the car back together again :oops: If in doubt make sure you have the cash spare to buy new shocks.

geetee
30-04-2004, 02:45 AM
good point cosmo, check your shocks before you start otherwise you could end up with your car off the road for a few days. thats another reason for making sure you can loosen the top bolt on the shox coz if you can`t then at least the car won`t be in bits and you could drive to a garage or something.
another thing, remember and put back the front top mount bearing thing, its not fixed so its easily lost!!! :)

joe_mazda
30-04-2004, 03:09 AM
what's the best way to check the shocks then?!

just sit on the corner and see if it bounces back smoothly?

geetee
30-04-2004, 03:16 AM
thats pretty much it! bounce each corner and it should come up, down then immediately settle into its normal position. also check for leaks by lifting up the shaft protectors and have a good look. if the cars got a recent mot then the chances are they`re ok.
i know how you feel joe, i couldn`t wait to get my springs on. but these wee checks before you start are well worth it! hope the weathers ok as well!!! :wink:

joe_mazda
30-04-2004, 04:10 AM
yeah so do i, i'm dying to get it down low

saturday should be ok (hoping & praying)

think my shocks are ok. All seem to do the job.

i might start taking the boot lining out tomorow, so i can just get straight on with it! :lol: