PDA

View Full Version : Sound Deadening Materials + Tips

MarkyMark
29-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Greetings peoples

I'm about to embark on a mission to sound-deaden my front doors as I have read about in many posts here. Hopefully this will get rid of the annoying buzzing noise that seems to come from my door trim when the stereo volume is set to ridiculous.

So, was hoping that anyone who has done the sound-deadening thing might have some tips on what the best materials are to use? I have read the 9 - 10mm MDF is good for covering up the holes in the doors, what about some of that foamy stuff like carpet underlay, should I line the doors with that as well? Any tips for securing / glueing / bolting it all together?

Any other tips for improving sound quality? The front door speakers are new pioneer co-axial ones BTW, they sound pretty good but I'd like to improve the bass end, hopefully sound deadening the doors will help to achieve this?

Thanks for your time peoples :D

Rupewrecht
29-04-2004, 12:32 PM
this link may help

http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/photogallery_int.asp#interest4

Dogo
29-04-2004, 12:43 PM
u'll want deadening paint & deadening mats.

there's a big range available. in this case the more u pay generally means the better u get. Jaycar's brownbread is a good cheap option. Sound-Off & G-Spot products are pretty good but a bit more pricey.

do a hunt on the net, there are tutorials on what to do.

CityEnd
29-04-2004, 11:26 PM
I think I'm up to the sound deadening stage myself. the vibration are really geting to me, and i think I'll need to put a stop to them.

let us know how you go.

what i had planed was to get g-spot mats, and some foam mats as well
jaycar currently have a special on the foam mat this month,
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AX3654&CATID=&keywords=&SPECIAL =SPEC&form=SPECIAL&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword 2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID= it's $6.95 a pair (was $12.95 a pair) not bad.

dogo, i was only planing on using mats, will i need the paint aswell?
and how do i prepare the surface of the door before sticking the mats on?

oh and another thing, after the deadening and everything is sealed, will the plastic sheet need to be reapplied? i mean the plastic sheet held on by the tar.

Oracle_SOD
30-04-2004, 12:33 AM
where can these sheets be found ??
http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/images/interest_79.gif

they seem heaps bigger than the jaycar sheets

Dogo
30-04-2004, 09:11 AM
dogo, i was only planing on using mats, will i need the paint aswell?

u dont need mat and paint on the same surface. ie u dont need to paint an area and then put a mat on it as well. So depending on the surface, you would use one or the other. but a combination of both is used as the mats dont often form well around bumpy/curved/rough surfaces. Thats where u would use paint.

ie. the outer metal skin of the door is nice & flat and is a good place to use matts. the inner skin is covered in bumps & dips and is possibly a good place to paint. also some of the tight corners and around the bracing bars on the outer skin may be better to paint than use matts.

if u r going to deaden the door trim, the matts possibly wont stick to the surface well, and also its quite curved & complex. thats a good place to use paint as well.

u wont need to put the plastic sheet back on, tho u could if u wanted to. sealing the door service holes effectively protects against water getting from inside the door to inside the car. But make sure u paint any wood u use to seal the holes, and also ensure ur speaker baffle is painted. when water gets into the mdf it will warp, crack, & expand. becoming very mushy. Normal paint will do, as long as it seals the wood from any water.

i never painted a couple of my speaker baffles, and later when i took the trim off I found them dark and 'puffy' from the moisture inside the door.

where can these sheets be found ??

im guessing they used smaller bits of sheet to do that boot. 1 big large sheet would have trouble conforming with the bumps in the metal