PDA

View Full Version : Inwards or outwards??

butch86
12-05-2004, 04:29 PM
hey guys, i have a 96 Astina Hardtopand just seeing wat u guys reckon about facing them into or away from the car??? I am running 3 Rockford 10" s in a sealed box! will post some pics of the install wen completed

cheers :lol:
Butch!

Dogo
12-05-2004, 05:11 PM
face them into the car. eg towards the back seat.

Silencer
12-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Well in my opionion id say face them inward, but you wont hear much diffrence. it can look good if youv got a clear pane ant the back of the box to see the sub's magnets. If your trying to get a bit more bass into tha cabin a great thing to do (obviously not in a sealed box, yes i saw thats wot u got but u might change ur mind) is to have the port coming out at the top of the box by the parcel shelf(even beter if the shelf has a hole to cater for this) then the whole cabin really gets filled with deep bass (ok u got 10's but good ones).

Use it dont use it

Chris
16-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Hey mate,

Ur car was on Boostcruising right? if so i'm the guy who told you to come here.

I too have a hardtop, and have one 12". I personally have tried a few different angles. Put your sub so the back of the box is as close to your rear seats as possible bu face the sub towards the boot, this gives really good bass inside the car. (boot rattles a bit but not too much). where as if you face them at the seats there is no room for the bass to move around so it doesn't carry. Oh and this is ur first car right? so is mine, where are you from?

Chris

arden
16-05-2004, 09:26 AM
I have mine as close to the rear seat as possible but sub facing inwards,
ive tried many combos and i find this gives u best sound with crisp bass.

but i dunno....guess its a matter of personal preference at the end of the day..

azaudio
22-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Basically does not matter much if u face it inwards or outwards soundwise as bass is omni directional but I would check with the manufacturers about facing them into the seat , certain speakers need a specific distance or area in front of the drivers to play well and ensure that no damage occurs to speakers , like running against a brick wall u not gonna get too far

Anyways thats my opinion use it , dont use it .... :)

dfvadr
22-05-2004, 07:20 PM
ok here is 2 reasons im lead to believe you do not face them into the seat
1-being you dont get the rebowned effect which is proven to be the best base
2- you never put any speaker into soft furnishing ie: lounge, foam, material ect it obsorbs the sound so there for you get poor quality music

Toyboy
23-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Yeah im with odd12c on this 1,ive found that the bass is alot better when faced towards the back of the car :wink:

Cosmo Dude
23-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah im with odd12c on this 1,ive found that the bass is alot better when faced towards the back of the car :wink:

Would this be the same for a sedan and a hatch?

Dogo
23-05-2004, 09:10 PM
the rules are different for a sedan.
generally the rule of thumb for a sealed boot ie. a sedan, is face them forwards.
hatch, u would face them backwards as the reflected soundwaves are still within the cabin, in a sedan u'll find with a seb facing backwards, u get a lot of boot rattle, and not much in-cabin bass.

unless of course ur intention is to have every1 around u hear how fully sik ur sub is, but not quite as loud in the cabin, in which case u would face the sub towards the back, in a sedan.

butch86
24-05-2004, 08:01 AM
well i have faced them backwards (away from the seats)! it has made a bit of difference more bassier now the fun begins of soundproofing :shock:

thanks heaps for the advice.. pics of the install will be posted asap :lol:

cheers
butch

Octane
26-05-2004, 09:53 PM
You get what they call 'bass loading' if u fire them towards the back of a hatchback generally. Facing them up at the hatch near the back can also be beneficial. Play 3 or so tracks that have bass you enjoy, try one track at a time (someone moving the subs will be the best bet), and see which position gives you the most satisfaction. Stuff what anyone else thinks, u drive the car.

Generally for hatches, it really depends on the car, some fire to the back of the car behind the rear seat, some point up at the hatch at the rear of the car, and some even find shooting diagonally at the back of the car works. Try them and see.

Octane :)

Toyboy
27-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Welcome Octane,what brings you to these parts btw :D

Dogo
27-05-2004, 02:13 PM
welcome, Octane ! :D
he hasnt got a hatch btw

i have a 96 Astina Hardtop

hardtop = sedan.

which is why i say fire them forwards :)

platypus
27-05-2004, 10:20 PM
i have a sedan... i faced mine backwards, as the subs did fark all when pointed forwards... damn i need a new box