PDA

View Full Version : custom spings???????

RogerRamjet
17-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi guys, i have a 97 hardtop and like the rest of us, Im sure that we all think that they sit WAY to high. anyway the only way ive found to get my car sitting as low as i want "on its guts" is to get custom springs made.You cant get super lows for astina's and nothing else sitts as low as i want. but they are going to cost me $600. Anyone got any other ideas?
Im also about to get new mags and have heard you guys go on about how bad 18s are,are they so bad cause they do look heaps better and thats what really matters.

mrpayner
17-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the forums mate..

I hope you find some interesting information on this website.

Cheers
Adam

Cosmo Dude
17-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Welcome aboard.
If you want it on its guts look at Odd Rods' airbag suspension, I'm sure that at the right price you could do the same.
Currently I'm back to square on with a second HB, this time I have some creative options in mind and I hope to use the AAS (auto adjustable suspension) to my benefit as you can't lower it with springs alone :(

ROB-80E
17-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Kmac make springs to any height you want.

Last price I checked for em was $175 a pair. I have their spings in my laser and I love em!

JynX
18-05-2004, 09:17 AM
There is quite a noticable difference between 17/18 rims. You tend to feel the road alot more on 18s then on 17s. I guess the choice is yours... big wheels make a small car look phat but do you want to degrade your driving quality as well?? Have a look at the quality of road around your most frequent driving paths... if the tar is good then go for it... if its less then diserable I would probably opt for a smaller wheel.

In saying that, BigMal has 18" rims and has had them for 3/4 years and hasnt had any major problems up untill a recent incident with council roadworks.

Rupewrecht
18-05-2004, 10:39 AM
you *can* get super super lower springs, but dont forget you're reducing the shock absorber travel by a heap as well - so you'll be bottoming out more often. just something to be aware of!

pr1mo
18-05-2004, 01:05 PM
2-2.5" is a good drop

Dogo
18-05-2004, 02:12 PM
i dont find 18s bad at all. only on really ****ty roads does it become a problem, but normal roads are fine in my opinion.

pr1mo
18-05-2004, 02:31 PM
deon up in mackay reckons his car on 18"s and not lowered is too harsh for the roads up there...hes probarbly the most relvant person to speak to :)

cheers mike

RogerRamjet
19-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys ill look into the kmac springs, I have thought about airbags but im not really ready to spend that much at the moment maybe after i get a new job. Im looking at about a 3 to 3.5 inch drop. I havent decided on the mags yet but im sure to show you pics when i do.

pr1mo
20-05-2004, 09:44 AM
woah 3 inches is a huge drop!!! it can be done thou

cheers mike

Rupewrecht
20-05-2004, 12:37 PM
you can drop it that far, it's be a ****house ride!

to keep any suspension travel, you'll *have* to get shortened shocks

platypus
21-05-2004, 12:14 AM
arn't vic roads a lot smoother 90% of the time??

Rupewrecht
21-05-2004, 09:39 AM
nope!

MrShadow
21-05-2004, 09:54 AM
If you're going to go that low, you're going to have seriour problems gteting in and out of places like Servos, shopping centres etc. I'd suggest doing to what Dan (Rupewrecht) has done and get coilovers etc. I believe it's a bit of a bitch to adjust ride height, but for normal driving, you could jack it up a bit, and only drop for crusies/shows etc.

Rupewrecht
21-05-2004, 10:11 AM
If you're going to go that low, you're going to have seriour problems gteting in and out of places like Servos, shopping centres etc. I'd suggest doing to what Dan (Rupewrecht) has done and get coilovers etc. I believe it's a bit of a bitch to adjust ride height, but for normal driving, you could jack it up a bit, and only drop for crusies/shows etc.

nah it's only a 10 min job to jack it up, adjust them and drop the car down.

it'd be a lot easier if my car was actually high enough to fit a trolley jack underneath :roll:

and even with 9cm clearance (at the lowest point) i have little trouble with driveways and stuff because of no bodykit!

MrShadow
21-05-2004, 10:16 AM
and even with 9cm clearance (at the lowest point) i have little trouble with driveways and stuff because of no bodykit!

Hmm, that's a good point. The hardtop doesn't really need any bodykit. But it's something you have to consider if you're going to put one on in the future. And I really should learn how to type shouldn't I? (seriour problems gteting
) :lol: :lol:

Rupewrecht
21-05-2004, 10:20 AM
i find that i know when to stop in parking spaces at the front as my towhooks hit first ;)

i'd like a kit, but there's nothing out there that i really like for the HT!

BigMal
21-05-2004, 10:41 AM
There is very little ride difference between 17 & 18's. Mine is such a bad ride
now because my shocks are stuffed but when I first put on the 18's noticed very
little difference. 3" lowered with bodykit is very challenging even as carefull as
possible I have still broken the lip in 2 places and one of the sideskirts. What
scares me the most are the metal spikes some caparks have installed that
you have to drive over they scratch like hell and of course roadworks now
freak me out.

Mal

RogerRamjet
21-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Im not really bothered about a ROUGH ride, Lately i have been getting excited about bags and i think i may go that way.
i figue i could spend a few hundred dollars on springs and probally get caneries all the time and not be able to sell the srings later(so its a lot of money lost)
OR i could IVNEST in bags and not get defected and take everything out when i sell the car and install it in my next car. id only have to get new bags to fit.

so bags are winning in my mind.
Money is the only thing holding me back at the moment