PDA

View Full Version : Neon Interion Lights

Christos
27-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Hi im just trying to connect neon lights in my interior, like the long tube neons and what im trying to do is connect it to the headlights switches. so when i turn my headlights on the neons come on to. does anyone have any ideas on how to do this

Cosmo Dude
27-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Yeah,
DON'T

If you want neons on the inside then what's the point when no-one can see them.

The last thing I want when I'm driving at night is some one who is more interested with what's going on inside their car than what's going on outside of it.

Christos
27-05-2004, 06:48 PM
cause it looks good makes ur feet look good... Na i just wanna do it. can someone please help me with the wiring

Dogo
27-05-2004, 07:24 PM
its easiest to wire up the neons so that they're always on first, then connect them to the headlight circuit.

did they come with a cig lighter socket or just bare wires ? u want a constant +ve to the neon's +ve, then ground the -ve from the neons. if they light up, u know they're ok and ur ready to hook them up to the headlights.

what u wanna do is find the wire from your headlights control arm that is on when u switch it to the on position, and off when they're off. split a wire from that over to ur neon's power wires. connect it to the neon's power using a SPDT relay , and run the extra ground wire to the chassis if ur relay has a -ve terminal for the trigger.

shouldnt take long at all :D

platypus
27-05-2004, 10:32 PM
there are probably a few wires to go for there, like any light circuit... make it run of your interior lights, ie the back light on the a/c panel, the dash display, possibly the dimmer switch back light too

when i wired my fogs i wired them off the dimmer switch as in my car that popped out the easiest... i also ran my EL gauges off the same.... the gauges are always on with the headlights (through relay) and the fogs are on with the parkers, and switched internally...

if you are gonna do it i would strongly suggest you wire it with a switch as well!!!

then again, why would you want it when your driving? wire it to your door switch fuse, once again through a relay so when you open the door the neons come out... people are only likely to see these lights when your parked anyway, and as stated by cosmo, its a real distraction.....

when your driving in the dark the neons reflect off the windows and make it hard to see out the windows!!! unless you can dim them, i wouldn't put them as always on!!! my EL gauges are ****in bright when at full, but they have a dimmer switch for that reason!!!

mrpayner
28-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Some guys have wired into the back of the ciggy lighter with a switch so they can be turned on/off at any stage.. Not very difficult to do at all.. Just make sure that the neon has the extra transformer bit attached to the acutal tube rather than the connection point..

Regards
AP

Rupewrecht
28-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Some guys have wired into the back of the ciggy lighter with a switch so they can be turned on/off at any stage.. Not very difficult to do at all.. Just make sure that the neon has the extra transformer bit attached to the acutal tube rather than the connection point..

better to do it that way...as cops wont exactly like it when they look inside your car and see then on because you can't turn them off!

platypus
30-05-2004, 10:35 AM
^^
thats why i suggested the door switch!!

its only when they go excuse me sir, i'm going to have to conduct a cavity search please step out.... hey they are neons!!! bend over and drop your pants!

ok..... sorry i have an overactive imagination