PDA

View Full Version : KF-ZE engine turbo.

Oliver Robinson
02-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Hello everyone,

I am looking at buying a KF-ZE engine for South African 95 Astina 180SE and I was hoping that someone might have some info regarding the following.

-Has anyone turbo charged this type of engine before and if so have you got any pointers for me and how does it perform.
-Will this engine type fit easily into my car or will I need to do some mods.
-Will I need to upgrade the cluth for it to handle 200KW - 250KW on the wheels that I hope to achieve from this conversion.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TURBO MAZDA
02-06-2004, 01:03 AM
The clutch and pressure plate would have to be one of the first things changed.

I don't no what your going to do with 250kw at the wheels, you wouldn't be able to drive it, My 1.8 turbo is set at 200kw at the wheels at the moment and it is a hand full, that is why i didn't go more power. can't keep it to the floor.

But good Luck hope it works out well 4 ya

cheers

Silencer
02-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Definatly need to upgrade the clutch, u can get a copper clutch starting from as little as R750. not to bad. I was looking at the FE3 motor for a turbo conversion. actually works out quite good. never acually heard of the KF-ZE, i should look it up sometime. but yeah the FE3 fits on wif hardly any probs, u can pic one up from ABL importers for R4000. standard box works well with it, need to look at strengthend CV's tho. No worries about EMS get mr turbo or domingoes and theres a few places that can make a nice Harness for u too. U can look at getting 270hp from the FE3 motor with minor mods at only 0.7 bar. Theres even an oke here in SA who has 250kw atw with his with pretty much standard motor, compression was changed to 7.5:1 tho, he has recently changed to a solid lifter setup cause his head was 100% standard and he couldnt get over 250kw at 1.3bar, dont know what he gets now.

hope that helps a bit

Oliver Robinson
02-06-2004, 03:21 AM
Silencer,

The KF-ZE is the 2L, V6, 24 valve engine that comes in the Aussie Astina as standard.

To bad ours didn't come out with it. :(

ABC
02-06-2004, 09:31 AM
The KF-ZE is actually the Jap Spec 2.0L V6. Here in Australia we got the engine but its a KF-"something" (can't quite remember). 119kW (ZE), 104kW (Aussie version).

There are turbo conversions, and even supercharger conversions, mostly in the US and mostly of the KL series engine which is the 2.5L version using the same block. MazdaManiac had both done to a MX-3 but their website doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Conversions have been done in Eunos/30X/MX-3 and also in 626/MX-6/Probes. Just do a search for KL-ZE (Jap spec 2.5L) and you should be able to find some info around on swapsies.

If you don't already have a V6 engine in your car I'd say don't bother doing this swap. Go to a BP-turbo 4CL as they are a much more 'direct' swap. If you have a V6 then consider just putting a KL-ZE in. 147kW and a heap of torque compared to the Aussie spec 2.0L and 1.8L engines.

azzaob
24-06-2004, 04:12 PM
If you have a V6 then consider just putting a KL-ZE in. 147kW and a heap of torque compared to the Aussie spec 2.0L and 1.8L engines.

Has anyone done this swap i.e. JDM 2.5 V6 KL ZE into an Astina/Lantis JDM 2L V6 car KF-ZE [as I have]??? Would be nice to know the improvements it would give if it is an easy direct swap. I assume the only difference between the two engines is the bore/stroke??

Aaron

JynX
24-06-2004, 07:40 PM
intake manifold is different as well.

From what I researched 12mnths ago, you would have problems with bonnet clearance using the std KL-ZE intake. Possibly use the std 2.0L intake but I never took the inquiry further.

azzaob
25-06-2004, 05:24 AM
Cheers for that. It just seems a quick and [relatively] pain-free way of getting extra power, especially torque, quite cheaply :)

Aaron

Nate
25-06-2004, 08:51 AM
yeah i have seen this engine turbo charged. it was in a eunos 30x ... bloke in brisbane owns it ... he was on a cruise about 1 month back from www.boostcruising.com ... you should be able to find him there!!

ABC
25-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Mr-MX6 in WA popped a KL-ZE (Jap spec V6) into his MX-6 and then took the KL-DE (Aus spec V6) and dropped it into a V6 Astina with some positive results.

As Jynx said, pretty much the biggest problem is the intake runners which apparently don't fit under the bonnet though this conversion has been done mostly on 30X's (MX-3 in US) that have a different bonnet shape to the Astina so they might fit. The easiest option there would be to transfer the intake runners from the KF. The throttle body for the KL intake is also a problem as it faces the battery unlike the KF throttle which has a turn in it facing toward the passenger side headlight so there might be a fit issue with the battery.

From memory, the KL-ZE (Jap spec) is different from the KL-DE (Aus spec) by the cams and the ECU. Other than that, I think the internals are reasonably similar.

Another thing to change is the distributor. Apparently the Jap spec engines have a different distributor style which won't work in the Australian cars so that's just a swap with the engine you're taking out.

I think Chronos was going to do the swap as well but not sure how far he got. Its one of those things that's definately on the wish list, but money is always hard to come by - especially when I am tempted to spend it on the boat (or the stomach) :mrgreen:

JynX
25-06-2004, 09:48 AM
>>Another thing to change is the distributor. Apparently the Jap spec engines have a different >>distributor style which won't work in the Australian cars so that's just a swap with the engine you're >>taking out.

Depends on which ECU you use.

ABC
25-06-2004, 11:02 AM
ah. fair enough.

Rupewrecht
25-06-2004, 11:38 AM
yep, from memory Mr MX6 used the KF intake runners under the bonnet o his Hardtop as there was the same clearance issues

and the KF (maybe even K8 ) flywheel

GTXWGN
12-07-2004, 05:00 PM
surely a bpt is a cheaper conversion i nthe end and with some sorta t3 on it and 15psi could get 200kw

Cosmo Dude
12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
The KL-ZE is about $2500 and most of the stuff required is already in the V6 Astina; ECU Intake manifold, flywheel, distriburor. I'd be reluctant to swap the BP for a V6 as their are many other considerations and the BP turbo is a much easier conversion. If you had a V6 then KL-ZE would be my first step before thinking about supercharging

skippy
06-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Stop me if I am wrong but I thought the KL-ZE was an Mx-6 Engine?
thus Rear wheel drive
therfore a bastard of a job to spin it 90deg to fit in into a FWD astina?

I was looking into this but spining an engine sounded quite expensive.

I was originally told it bolts straight on, seemed to go to be true souned like I could increase K/w power in my 96 V6 Hardtop by 50% for $3K, ($2.5K engine, say $500 for my mate to install if it bolts straight in)

CRA23
06-10-2004, 05:28 PM
mx6s are front wheel dirve, and from my research turboing a KF(aus spec) with minor tuning at around 7-8 psi will make around the same power as a mild tuned NA KL-ZE and from a worked KLze(port,ballance, bigger injectors general turbo stuff) running at 9psi makes around 190-200wkw(626 from brizzy done this) from my readings the Kl-ze can handle up to around 12-13 psi with std internals just upgraded fuel...i plan on putting a KL-ze in with a turbo the only problem is the astina engine bay is very very confined, it my be easyer in a hard top(looks to have more room)

boostedbatman
10-11-2004, 04:42 PM
BA KL-ZE engine in Poland (doesnt seem to have problems with fit)and its in the hatch
http://www.maz323f.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php4?t=1593
:twisted: now we have evidence :D :D

Mr MX6
28-01-2005, 10:41 PM
yep, from memory Mr MX6 used the KF intake runners under the bonnet o his Hardtop as there was the same clearance issues

and the KF (maybe even K8 ) flywheel

I used a KLDE (Aspec) in the end for the astina..
The ZE and LD intake fit in just nicely.. .:tup:

If you do want a KFZE
(2ltr) I have one for ~160 bux you can have..