PDA

View Full Version : SUB WOOFER PROBLEM??? i think

Christos
15-06-2004, 01:40 PM
i have a JBL 10" Sub the thing is i dont know if its in good working order or its distorting..

if you could imagine putting ur fingernail on the sub while it is pumping it makes a "tak tak" noise.... Wwll my sub makes that noise when its pumping and no fingernail is there....

Understand???

is this normal or is it a sign of a blown sub???? (or a candidate for one)
P.s its still pumping good and sounds awsome but i just worried about that "tak tak" noise when i open the boot and listen

help please

Dogo
15-06-2004, 02:41 PM
is it in a box ? have u opened the box and looked inside ?

it could be that the wire inside the box ( to the terminals on the sub ) has moved around and is touching the rear of the cone, or even just vibrating against the magnet. also check that the terminals havnt come loose.

i'd un-screw the sub & look inside the box to check everything is ok behind-the-scenes.

Christos
15-06-2004, 04:45 PM
what u mean the terminals the sound is comming from outside.... is it a sign of the sub woofer being cracked??? or is it waht u think any other ideas

Dogo
15-06-2004, 05:50 PM
if it was cracked u'd possibly see it. I dont think its cracked tho if its still sounding good ( other than the 'tak tak' ). Its possible the glue between the surround and the cone has come loose in a spot. Press gently around the edge of the cone to see if u can find any spots where its not joining firmly. Maybe its a screw thats worked its way loose over time.

Does it happen at low volume as well as high volume ?

I'd still take the woofer out of the box and see if u can see any problems. Also, play sound thru the woofer while its out of the box and see if its still making the 'tak tak' - that should tell u if its a problem with the woofer.