PDA

View Full Version : Nate needs rotor's

Nate
18-06-2004, 10:41 AM
no not a 20B ... hehehehe ... i wish

both of the rear disks on my BG SP have gggggoooonnnnneeee so i need some newy's

option 1 - DBA slotted - $130 something bucks a pop - but little disk in 17's :evil:

option 2 - rear set up off the mx5 SP * drools *

so what problems will i come across if i pick 2 and what kinda big ones will i be talking

twilightprotege
18-06-2004, 10:48 AM
dont upgrade your rear brakes unless you're going to do the fronts at the same time! you'll just lock up the rears and have problems, esp since you dont have abs.

i'd say just replace the stocks with dba slotteds and get good pads

Nate
18-06-2004, 10:51 AM
dont upgrade your rear brakes unless you're going to do the fronts at the same time! you'll just lock up the rears and have problems, esp since you dont have abs.

i'd say just replace the stocks with dba slotteds and get good pads

damn!!! -- i spose the money could be better spent on cams hey twilight

twilightprotege
18-06-2004, 10:55 AM
if you are really set on going for a bpt conversion etc, spend your money on upgrading the brakes and maybe new shocks/sway bars etc. you need to be able to handle and stop well if you are going all out. but also, dont spend too much money on rear brakes now if you're going an awd conversion, the current rotors probably wont fit with the rear drive shafts (but i dunno)

pr1mo
18-06-2004, 12:19 PM
yeah i say skimp on the rear as they only do about %20 of the braking anyway :P

JynX
18-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Unless your thinking of doing track work, just get std replacments. I only run slotted on the front and Ive got plenty of stop.

4wd in a BG frame is not financially practical. Go buy a TX3 or a Familia instead then you get boost and awd for the same price.

BigMal
18-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Been meaning to ask Kitty for a mx5 forum to ask whats involved in the
MX5 SP rear brake upgrade... Kitty ???

Cosmo Dude
18-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Standard or slotted rotors on the back are the way to go. First check the PBR site to see if the part numbers are the same for the BG astina and the GTX. When you upgrade you may find a buyer for slotted rotors so you don't loose too much.

platypus
18-06-2004, 04:59 PM
mmmm discs... fun... i like mine just fine

but yeah upgrade them at the same time, other wise you'll be doing hand brakeys without trying

Nate
20-06-2004, 07:09 PM
mmmm discs... fun... i like mine just fine

lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dfvadr
20-06-2004, 09:52 PM
can u put the front disc's on the back an upgrade ur front i no ours are slip on /off they can be

platypus
20-06-2004, 10:14 PM
would the pistons match up correctly... that is the big question... but good idea... you could surely use the discs... but you'll wan tto check to offsets are all A ok

JynX
20-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Well the BA rotors are different Front and Back so i am assuming the BG is the same as the braking hardware is very similar.

platypus
20-06-2004, 10:36 PM
but different how??

if you can slide the current fronts onto the back, and then put NEW big brakes on the front you would of made both brakes bigger... i understand we are talking theoretically here....

but we are also talking about doing a drum to disc conversion (unless i took the wrong pills this morning)

soooo as long as the calipers are kept compatible i can't see why this idea would not work!!

(and i'm happy with that, as it means i might be able to do my own brake conversion, as i really want discs on all 4 paws)

geetee
21-06-2004, 06:02 AM
why not have a look at the rear discs from a RX7 or something?
don`t think the front discs would fit the back coz of the back plate and the caliper piston on the back wouldn`t wind back far enough to take the pads.
for the amount of work the rears do, i would go standard discs and a decent set of pads. :wink:

BigMal
21-06-2004, 09:46 AM
You can run the front on the back you need to move the caliper accross as
well but then you have no handbrake which is illegal and dangerous. The
MX5 SP at 274mm is almost the same size anyway but the standard 9mm
solid so I think is a better choice. Just got to find out how from the MX5 guys.

dfvadr
21-06-2004, 05:34 PM
i was only talking about changing the rotors not the calipar

the sp20 has 270mm x 55mm total depth x 72mm dia centre hole front an rear so you can swap the rotors only
thats what im suggesting on urs but i dont no ur model this way the handbrake dont get touched good luck worth i try i think

platypus
21-06-2004, 06:25 PM
but the mx5 is a RWD....

and rod i know what you were saying....

but in drums the caliper would need to be installed

dfvadr
21-06-2004, 06:35 PM
oh drums i thought they went out in the seventies

Cosmo Dude
21-06-2004, 06:39 PM
BJ1 had drums (except SP20). One of the reasons I bought a BA