PDA

View Full Version : BA replacement headlight

ausastina97
20-07-2004, 09:28 PM
I just discovered i have blown the passenger side main headlight on my 1997 BA Astina hatchback.

Just wondering if anyone knew a good place to get a replacement globe(perhaps a replacement pair) and what the ballpark cost would be. I havent seen the shape of globe that the BA uses in any of the auto shops (AutoOne, Super Cheap etc). Is Mazda the only place to get them?

Thanks,
Adam

SehnKhan
20-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Would be best to do the pair at the same time, maybe ask someone like Repco or Autobarn for the Narva white lights. Most places should have them mate.

ausastina97
20-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks for that. Do you know if they are any brighter than the stock globes, cause mine were/are pretty dull in my opinion. Wouldnt happen to know a rough idea of cost would you?

SehnKhan
20-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Hmm, maybe about $50 ish. MrPayner replaced his with Phillips Optiblue and they aren't quite bright enough, so definately ask for the Narva lights. Narva will be better then stock for sure.

ausastina97
20-07-2004, 09:49 PM
And they are same roundish shape as the stock ones? Cause as I said, all the replacement ones ive seen are the more standard skinnier type of globe.

$50 for a set isnt too bad, i really had no idea how much they would be to replace.

SehnKhan
20-07-2004, 10:14 PM
They should be the same shape as your current ones, sometimes stores only display the more common globes. They should have them in stokc though.

Dogo
21-07-2004, 08:29 AM
i think the bulb is type H3 , but it would be worth removing the existing bulb and going to any auto store to make sure. I found in my old BA that one side was a different type of bulb , but this was not normal.

ausastina97
21-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Yeah I just took out the blown globe, you are right it is a H3. I'm feeling kind of dumb at the moment haha I thought the globe was the part you could see from the front of the light assembly, the roundish lens part. I'm glad I took the globe out before I went chasing around for one like that!

What does the H1, H3 etc mean anyway?

ausastina97
21-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Ah don't worry, I understand it now, after looking at some online catalogues. The H1, H2 etc etc is just the shape and design of the bulb. There are so many choices in bulbs though! Just in Narva i can get a standard one, a +30 one, an Artic Blue one or an All-Weather one. I wouldnt get the all weather one, but the other 3 are possibilities. And I'm guessing every brand has the same sort of choice.....

BigMal
21-07-2004, 03:29 PM
I have used the +30's for a while get them for around $14 a pair. I tried the Artic Blue and
they didn't last long and they didn't look blue to me :(

ausastina97
21-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Where did you get them for $14 a pair? I had a quick look in Super Cheap today when I was out and they only had some no-name brand i hadnt heard of and both their +30 and blue ones were $28 a pair. I expected the Narva ones to be more than that.

platypus
21-07-2004, 05:01 PM
osram silverstars are in mine again....

v. white beam, and i've never seen any thing brighter...

catch?? you will have to get them from overseas (UK).. its all good, took me 4 days to get them in, and they were well worth the dollars
more info can be found at http://www.powerbulbs.com/

i have always kept a second set of globes in the car for if anything blows, as its not nice being caught out - not to mention illegal!!!!

ausastina97
21-07-2004, 07:56 PM
The stock one I took out was an Osram actually. Not anything fancy though I don't think. I had a look at that site, unfortunately the Silverstars aren't available in the H3 size for BA Astinas. I think I'll just get something local anyway, but thanks for the info.

platypus
21-07-2004, 08:44 PM
hehe, i think philips rallye, 100 w H3 globes... not legal, but hey!!!

P'cisT
21-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Narva are actually rebadged bulbs. Look at the base and it will tell you the real manufacturer. Most likely Philips.

Osram can be pretty white and bright, but I doubt you previous ones would have been the same model/type as thes ahb11m imported. I think Hella are Osram rebadged although I may be wrong. They change manufacturers quite often.

platypus
21-07-2004, 11:12 PM
hella on sell bulbs, as much as i know... could be any bulb manufacturer, depending on supply, therefore could be austa, phillips, osram, etc.....

i think they are actually austa globes... as i remember these are made in Hornsby, and hella are based in the same road... it would make sense

the ones i got are osram silverstars, and are bloody bright!!! but then i parked infront of andy... bastard and his HID's...

ausastina97
22-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Ah ok, yeah I knew the stock Osram ones wouldn't have been the ones ahb11m had, cause mine were pretty dull actually. Well what you are saying is that brands are pretty irrelevant, I might not bother looking around too much, just get a cheap set and hope for the best. If they end up being crap I haven't lost out too much.

platypus
22-07-2004, 11:34 AM
your gonna need to get something in the mean time... isn't one blown??

they usually sell those globes at bigW kmart, servos, and the normal auto shops

ausastina97
22-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Yeah I'm gonna get a pair today. I haven't had to drive at night for a couple of days so its been fine so far.

mrpayner
24-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Narva also have the +50's too.. I believe they are about $30 a pair.

AP

ausastina97
25-07-2004, 11:45 AM
I ended up getting a pair of cheap globes from K-Mart when they had 25% off for $18. I didnt necessarily want the blue ones but thats all they had, so I figured I give them a try for $18. They seem pretty good so far, except I have to realign the headlights cause they really aren't too straight at the moment.

But now my parkers look really yellow in comparison, so I might try and get some mini-halogen globes so they don't seem as out of place colour-wise.

platypus
25-07-2004, 01:01 PM
philips blue vision will fix that

the globes are blue, but glow white