PDA

View Full Version : heater not working!!

geetee
30-07-2004, 11:44 PM
hey guys,
couple of weeks ago my heater stopped working along with some other electrical stuff which is now ok.
my heater worked ok when i gave it a thump(under the glovebox) but now won`t even work with that!
i reckon it might be the motor brushes but dunno if i can change them.
anyone done this before or had a similar problem??
cheers guys

Osprey06
31-07-2004, 07:16 PM
What exactly isn't working?
If the fan isn't functioning, some on fordlaser.com have mentioned problems with the resistor packs in the switch for the fan - so it would work on setting 3 + 4 but not 1 + 2 etc...
If there is other stuff not working, could it be a fuse?

James

platypus
31-07-2004, 08:32 PM
the resistor pack will only affect the fan, the heat will still come through....

usually when that resistor goes completly the fan will work on 4, and quite often your a/c will go out with it.....

at a guess i'd say one of your cable holders has fallen off, or you have loose electrics (hence hitting it worked)

geetee
01-08-2004, 06:58 AM
had a look today guys. it was the blower motor(sorry i should have said the blower rather than the heater).
i ended up with most of the dash lying on the driveway!!!
as it turned out i removed the motor and stripped the brushes out, which looked ok, so i cleaned everything out and put it all back together and it works perfect now!!! :?
thing is i dunno what exactly was wrong. could have been the wires or the motor.
but it works now, so who cares!!!!!
cheers for the replies guys :wink:

lamby1986
03-08-2004, 05:13 PM
If the fan isn't functioning, some on fordlaser.com have mentioned problems with the resistor packs in the switch for the fan - so it would work on setting 3 + 4 but not 1 + 2 etc...

Since reading this thread the other day, this has happened to me :cry:

Ok, down to business, how do i get to this resistor pack, and what can i do about it in fixing the problem?
I mean its winter, but im gonna need the a/c and lower fan speeds in the coming seasons.

platypus
03-08-2004, 05:22 PM
its in the blower box.... it looks like a panel with a wire plug in it.....

if you undo the panel and it comes out there should be a panel running perpendicular to it....

replace it.....

you can't fix it

lamby1986
03-08-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks ahb11m.
lets make myself clearer.
Im gonna need a specific location of this blower box (inside/engine bay, look here, go across, etc) Anyone no of the price of a new/replacement one? or where to get them from?

Cosmo Dude
03-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Under the dash, far left (for RHD cars).
Have an assistant turn the fan on and off and listen for it if in doubt.

From their you should be able to remove two screws to drop out the resistors. They look like coils of wire suspended between wire posts.

lamby1986
03-08-2004, 07:43 PM
oh. under there....... :(

Well, maybe i'll look at obtaining a new one before i go to the trouble of ripping the dash out to find out that i need a new one to go in "that" hole.

Do we recomend getting one from a wrecker or a mazda one? just add it to the list of necessaries.

Cosmo Dude
03-08-2004, 07:51 PM
If it was a dash out job i'd have said so. It sits in the base of the blower box.

geetee
04-08-2004, 02:21 AM
drop the plastic panel below the glove box.
you will see where the white plug with 4 wires goes into the base of the blower motor housing.
there is also a black plug with one wire next to it.
the plug socket is held in with 2 screws, undo these and the resistor pack drops out.
you could remove the glove box for a better view, but its not necessary.

platypus
04-08-2004, 04:52 PM
sorry lamby, i can't be specific as i don't know your particular car

i know where it is on my previous cars - and presume its in the same location....

usually its behind the glove box, you may need to remove that

i'd go a wrecker, they cost around about $50-60 new... so not expensive anyway

lamby1986
04-08-2004, 08:43 PM
thanks gentlemen. Its now top of my to do list for the car, so give it a month or two :roll:

lamby1986
08-08-2004, 04:29 PM
followed geetee's instructions and found the thingy. pulled it out for a look see and found that all the white stuff covering the coils which is breaking up and falling off. im guessing this white stuff is some kind of insulation or heat dissapator glue.

anyway, i have had to put it back in so that the fan will still work until i get a new one on wednesday. but now i only have level 3 fan :x

one other thing. the plugs and the screws were all rusted and fairly stuck in place im guessing from vapor coming through the piping. is this normal or something to be concerned about?

Cosmo Dude
08-08-2004, 04:57 PM
If their is something causing that level of corrosion to the resistors then it would follow that the screws and terminals are going the same way. I'd be spending money on a newie from Mazda as one from the wreckers could be a bit dodgy and not too far from breaking down.
Check your A/C drain while you're in there, if it's not draining then that may have been the catalyst to the fan problem.

lamby1986
11-08-2004, 01:26 PM
when to mazda today, found out the price of a new one $59.25. will get it on the weekend and will install it the, at the same time i'll check if the a/c drain is blocked cuz i dont wanna rust up my new $60 as well.