PDA

View Full Version : WHeel Alignment and Camber

mysp20
19-08-2004, 04:11 PM
I recenlty got new tyres and when the Wheel Alignment was done, they told me that the camber on the frot right wheel was -1.27 degrees and should only be around -0.5 degrees.

What is the best way to re-adjust the camber, or is it worth getting a second wheel alighnment done so that I can be sure that it is out before spending about $200 on camber pins (if that is required).

If I were to get the camber pins, would this indeed fix the problem or am I just getting told stuff so they could make an additional sale.

I spoke to Pedders and they said it was $110 for a wheel alignment. Is this expensive? If so, does anyone else know where in Melboune who I can go to to fix the problem and wont get ripped off.

Any help would be appriciated.

Andrew

platypus
19-08-2004, 04:52 PM
negative camber is gooooood, just get it done evenly

Cosmo Dude
19-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Camber pins are the easiest and cheapest way to do the job (my opinions on them is on other threads). Was that 1.27 degrees on both sides? If so that sounds odd and if you must use the pins then put them on both sides to do it properly.

If you're in the east then try Traction Tyres in Kellets Rd Scoresby, they realy know their stuff. I believe that what you will get from Pedders is a long list of other problems be they be they fact or fiction. :roll:

Rupewrecht
19-08-2004, 05:35 PM
If you do go to Pedders, go to the one in St Kilda and tell them Daniel sent you :)

jcywong
19-08-2004, 05:48 PM
camber is not adjustable on stock setup and should be 0
if it was out especially by that much, some parts must have bent

platypus
19-08-2004, 07:49 PM
camber is not o on stock...

mysp20
20-08-2004, 07:35 AM
Guys thanks for the help so far. The Camber was only out on the right front. The Left front and rear wheels were all about -0.5 degrees which i am told is about correct.

If it is a bent component, will camber pins still fix the problem or do you have to replace the affected component.

If camber pins would fix the problem, are there any brands that you would recommend (eg whiteline or pedders, k-mac etc)?

twilightprotege
20-08-2004, 08:32 AM
just a bit extra - get them to max out positive caster when they fix it up.

if it is a bent component get it replaced!

BigMal
20-08-2004, 10:54 AM
My settings have never been the same on both sides have always had a little
extra on the left to compensate for the fact 90% of the time I am driving solo.
Here are the whiteline alignment specs (I do run slightly different now for
turbo traction reasons)

http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/articles/real_handling_39(b).jpg

mysp20
23-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Thanks Bigmal,

Will these setting work for a BJ model as well or are they only for the BG model.

BigMal
23-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Umm I have a BA dude says so next to my picture :)
Those settings would be fine on your car I have had as much as 5deg negative
camber the thing handled like it was on rails but was skittish in a straight line
and wore out the centre tread but it was damn fun at the time :D
When/If I remember I will look at the sheet thats in my glovebox that I use
for my current settings and see how different it is. I dont think it will be as
my original setup was wild and I got them to bring it back a bit. The article
specs were not what they put on my car but what they recomend to the masses.