PDA

View Full Version : Kings low springs + Whiteline shocks

Nick
26-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Hiya, I'm pretty new to this and I was wondering whether this combination would work well. I also have a quote of 4 hours@$66 per hour to fit. Apart from an alignment afterwards, what else is possibly needed?
Thanks very much
:o Nick

Cosmo Dude
26-08-2004, 07:29 PM
4 hours@$66 per hour to fit :o
The hourly rate is OK but four hours? Are they getting the apprentice to do it without tools??? Mine were done in three and they didn't have the shocks and had to drive to the Koni warehouse to pick 'em up.
They may be looking in their book of how long things take and quoting labour for two jobs when the labour for the shocks job will cover the spring replacement as well, you must remove the springs to replace the shocks :wink: .

mrpayner
26-08-2004, 08:00 PM
I was quoted $50 a corner.. plus alignment.. I've been to a few places and this seems like a fair deal..

AP

chipa
26-08-2004, 08:42 PM
To fit and align all corners with King Low's I've been quoted $185.

Nick
26-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Hi, Thanks for all the replies, this place is where I got my rear sway bar fitted - $45 labour and I then found $10 on the ground while waiting for the job to complete so its all good :lol:
So I suppose the combination of Kings and Whiteline will be ok for a BA?
Nick

arden
27-08-2004, 11:56 AM
how much are the whiteline shocks settin u back?

Nick
27-08-2004, 01:28 PM
$214 a pair, but I'm worried that I may need 'additional' stuff!!
Nick

scott
27-08-2004, 02:07 PM
I've had King springs in the past and wasn't a huge fan - not a good height amd noisy. At the moment I have Pedders and they are excellent, and I have had Lovells and they were pretty good as well.

mrpayner
27-08-2004, 04:56 PM
$214 a pair, but I'm worried that I may need 'additional' stuff!!
Nick

Are they the full strut or just a strut insert similar to the koni dampers?

AP

Nick
27-08-2004, 05:55 PM
1300311: ASTINA/LASER RR 214.20 INS-ADJ

Thats what it says on the order. What is the difference? Will I need additional parts? Please help!! :(

Nick
27-08-2004, 05:58 PM
P.S. They are also part of the Whiteline 'Works' kit, like Mal's car, but the springs are a different pat no#.
Nick

mrpayner
28-08-2004, 09:04 AM
So, going by the part description the INS-ADJ section would suggest Insert - Adjustable... Do they look remarkably similar to this?

http://www.amihotornot.com.au/album/photos%5C18162-200482810630.jpg

If so, that is an insert.. Otherwise, if it looks as though you need the whole spring in there as well that's a full strut... Hope that made sense..

AP

Nick
28-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the reply, mate. I'm not sure what it looks like as its on order. What do you have on yours? (I've read your home page!!), and I want something similar. TIA
Nick

mrpayner
28-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Heh.. well that pic that i posted above is actually one of my Koni Specials.. I have yet to install them in the car, i've just emailled Whiteline about a preferred setup with these particular dampers with their Whiteline Flatout [-50mm] coils..

AP

Cosmo Dude
28-08-2004, 05:34 PM
I liked the Kings in the Astina and am replacing the standard springs in the 929 with the setup I had in my Cosmo. The ride will be quite firm but that's better than the matteress effect from the factory units.
At the end of the day you need to decide what you want from your suspension. If you want to lower your car while keeping the factory ride then you don't want King springs or KYB shocks, great handling but low on the but-O-meter (that's through personal experience) Koni will cost more but they are a performance shock with a nice ride and Bilstein and Eibach are premium equipment (you pay for that though).
OK you came here for an answer and I've thrown questions at you, better you think about it before you spend the $$$$$

Nick
28-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Thanks Cosmo Dude, it might be too late as I've already paid for a Whiteline set of springs and shocks. Upside is that I've got 10% off the purchase price for joining up with autospeed. Allup might cost about $105 (parts, fitting and alignment). BTW, would Bob Jane be able to align the new setup or should I look for another place? :lol:
Nick

Nick
28-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Sorry, that should be $1050. :oops:

deruss
07-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Nick, let us know how go with that setup.

I'm looking to do something simlar soon, and trying to decide on what brands to install. I was looking at Kings but from the comments above it sounds like a rougher ride and g/f might not like that :( (she drives it to work every day so I have to consider her tastes...) So maybe Whiteline is the go.

My last service reported a 'leaking front left strut' and they quoted something like $500 for a fix, which sounds excessive, so I'm going to take the opportunity to do all quarters now. Want to do it myself to save some money too ;)

Are you thinking of doing the camber kit, and rear sway bar?

SehnKhan
07-09-2004, 03:21 PM
I think I'll get a set of Konis in my 323, my shocks are pretty shot I think (mmm, spongey spongey) so I might replace the springs at the same time.

Nick
10-09-2004, 07:05 AM
deruss- After deliberations ( and heaps of browsing/reading!) I've decided to go for Whiteline springs and shocks. I believe that getting a matching set would be a better option as I do not want any problems in the near future. I was quoted about $940 for KYBs installed, $1040 for Pedders VRD and $ 1120 for Pedders Sports Ryder. I have replaced my rear sway bar but prob not doing camber kit. However, should I do the bushes at the same time?

Red Frog
16-11-2004, 04:16 PM
would i be right in saying that any pedders shocks are actually just rebranded monroes, etc etc ? or are they actually originals to the pedders company?

Cosmo Dude
16-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Pedders do make their own shocks. I don't know if they re-brand for less popular makes or models. Commodore and Falcon shocks would be Aussie made and could even be painted red or blue depending on where you want to buy them but 323/Laser could go either way.
I'd be looking at better than standard (or Pedders) if you have uprated springs IMHO.

Rupewrecht
17-11-2004, 12:57 AM
I have replaced my rear sway bar but prob not doing camber kit. However, should I do the bushes at the same time?

you should definitely do the camber kit on at least the front at the same time, otherwise you're wasting the results of the rest of your new suspension

it's be cheaper to do the bushes at the same time,, too. but i'd say they're less necessary than the camber kit

mrpayner
17-11-2004, 06:46 AM
Just as a side note, i [finally] had my koni's installed on friday.. The dude installed them plus alignment for $181.. and he was the only authorised Koni person in Ballarat [recommended by Barry at www.topperformance.com.au]

AP