PDA

View Full Version : changing hubs

Dogo
26-08-2004, 11:02 PM
i cant make excuses anymore, its finally time to change my hubs.

Has anyone replaced a hub before ? Is it the kind of thing I can do from home? bearing in mind i dont intend to replace the bearing etc, just the hub & complete caliper assembly

I've got the workshop manual, but it always makes things look soo damn easy in theory. And it always has a big list of special tools which tend to not really be needed anyway.

geetee
27-08-2004, 07:08 AM
you talking front or back? why you changing them?
i`m gonna be changing a back one soon coz the bearing is very noisy but i gotta save up for it coz i can`t buy the bearing on it`s own. i gotta buy the whole hub assembly!!!$$$$$$$$$ ouch :cry:

Nate
27-08-2004, 10:24 AM
why you changing them?

cause 5 stud wheels dont fit on four stud hubs???

.... well did i win a prize :lol: :lol:

Dogo
27-08-2004, 05:41 PM
yup.

i want my old wheels back on & they're 5 stud. So I'm going to attempt to put the v6 hubs onto the 4cyl driveshafts ( both front and back ). I did a test fit at a wreckers and they seem to go on ok.

Bigger brakes will be nice too.

Right now I'm in need of new pads and maybe getting my discs machined, so its either fix up what i've got or get the new hubs on.

Cosmo Dude
27-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Shouldn't be too difficult. Only tricky bits may be removing the nut from the drive shaft (remember ABC broke tools doing it) and bleading the new calipers after installing them.

geetee
28-08-2004, 04:39 AM
easy way to remove drive shaft nut:
1) put socket on nut with long socket bar.
2) drive forward at great speed.
3) one loose nut!!!
:shock: :lol:

only joking on 2) just inch it forward and the nut should crack. :wink:

Cosmo Dude
28-08-2004, 07:16 AM
http://www.astinagt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1005
The pics no longer work but eh

skippy
09-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Anyone be wanting a set of 4x "5 stud 16" Mazda Mags from a 96 V6 Hardtop"

Dogo
09-09-2004, 01:20 PM
maybe...

i really need just 1 for a spare, but a whole set might be a possibility if not too expensive.

how much?

skippy
09-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Well my mate agreed to 500 but he wanted the four, and he needed the four stud type.

So um how about $400 for the four,

got rubber on them one needs replacing soonish,

Send me an email and I will reply with a piccy, as I am sure u would like them to match your current set. vaughan@nationalpayroll.com.au

please note I am in Sydney so please consider freight, And ensure you need the 5 stud type,

make me an offer on one if you wish, FYI there is a bit more info in the sales forum,

by the bye love that sign off,

skippy
24-09-2004, 03:45 PM
My Mechanic mate said I am one rorting bastard trying to charge a friend that, hey he offered no apolgies coming from me.

Seeing I have realised this might be a little steep anyone wanting them make me an offer.