PDA

View Full Version : Turbo a BJII

scott
08-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Ok, here's the thing. I am thinking about turboing my astina. I know it would be easiest to drop in a BPT but thats not possible cause my car is an '02.

Has anyone here tried fitting a turbo to the NA BP engine? I want to know how it went.

twilightprotege
08-09-2004, 08:43 PM
if you have an 02 1.8, you've actually got a FS-FE engine not a BP. BP's stopped in the previous model.

have a look at www.msprotege.com for heaps of info on people who have turbo'd the 1.8 - but dont forget our home grown people. wiredone, anton (right???) and a few others...

the biggest problem with the FS engine series is the rods. they are the weakest link by far.

scott
09-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Cheers. Yeah, I had a look at the msprotege and there was a bit on it there. I used to have a KF TX-3 and I always thought it was the same engine.

Starting to have second thoughts on whether or not I should turbo the car or flog it off and get something already turbo. If it is going to be too hard I dont know if I could be bothered.

platypus
13-09-2004, 08:16 PM
1.8 always looked like a better engine to turbo to me....

twilightprotege
13-09-2004, 08:47 PM
if i was going down the turbo path, the 1.8 would be my choice

platypus
13-09-2004, 08:49 PM
speak to anton???

chicaboo
13-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Hi guys,

I have the exact same car as Scott pretty much, why do you say that the 1.8L is the best choice to turbo? I assume you are comparing it to the 2.0L motor in the SP? And is it not as good because of the longer stroke?

Gav.

platypus
13-09-2004, 09:01 PM
lower compression, and the stroke would be advantagious

twilightprotege
13-09-2004, 09:12 PM
the reason is neither of the above. the best reasoning is because of the longer rod, which gives a higher rod ratio (rod length : stroke). better for higher revving turbo aps

chicaboo
13-09-2004, 09:39 PM
While we're on the topic,

I'm impressed with the turbo in the Astra 2.0L. Has full torque from 2000rpm or thereabouts. Anyone know of a turbo kit that good for the 1.8L? Or do they need their neck's rung all the time once the turbo is on it?
I'm a big fan of low end power where cars are driven 90% of the time. But then I s'pose a roots or twin screw supercharger is better in that case...

Gav.

platypus
13-09-2004, 09:54 PM
use a smaller turbo and it will spool lower, if you use a bigger turbo it will take longer to spool, thus more turbo lag

other wise go for a sequential setup, BTW if you chose this option goodluck!!!

scott
16-09-2004, 05:50 PM
I can cope with a bit of turbo lag. I've got a standard turbo from a S15 200sx sitting in my garage, just begging to be used. I reckon it'd be a bit laggy on the 1.8, but once it comes on boost.....

tidy protege
16-09-2004, 07:55 PM
yeah i would give it a go you have the turbo all you need done is to have a manifold fabricated, get some plumbing made for the intercooler and the air filter,turbo back exhaust, engine management system, blow off valve.

When i was looking at turboing my car they were going to a turbo from the s15 200sx, and were going to have a custom front mount made up, custom piping for the intercooler and the air filter and use a micro tech engine management system. I would only run about 7 or 8 psi boost max to maintain the life of the pistons and rods. And you could safley be looking at 130-145 kw at the wheels.

Goodluck with what ever you are planning to do mate by the way what are your wheeels they look smart.

scott
16-09-2004, 09:08 PM
The wheels are a 17inch Advanti. I can't remember what model they are, they've been on the car for 2years now. But, yeah I like them.

anton
22-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Hey scott, just thought id mention that if you do go down the turbo path it can be a very time consuming experience with getting everything running 100%. Just something to think about , its been a while since I started my turbo project and its still not 100% right yet, but maybe youll get lucky and wont have as many problems as me.. anyways good luck with it, if you need any info or anything feel free to ask :D

chicaboo
22-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Seems like you have to dish out $8500 odd (maybe cheaper for the 1.8 ) for the streetdreams full turbo/exhaust kit if you want it right first time...
And then you have to get new rods ontop of that, how much does that cost guys?

tidy protege
22-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Turboing is a dear path to gain power but it is worth it, i will be turboing mine later down the track but my car still has almost two and a half years warrenty so i will be waiting for a little bit of time yet.

For now i am going to follow the Na path and when i want to do something there will be more products out there. 12 months ago there was only really 2 turbo kits out there Hiboost and Bell Engineering, now there are dosens and when i do my car there will be even more.

You can tell me to shut up but here is my 2cents wait 6 months and in that time do the car up asthetically with the interior and exterior, then turbo the sucker and it will be cheaper as the prices of turboing will come down when i was looking in march at turboing the hiboost kit was 4000 us it is now 3500 us the price will continue to slide which will mean the street dreams price will have to slide too.

Also the street dreams kit is probably the best way to go, but not a cheap excersise $8500 plus $1000 installation plus a turbo back exhaust system you will be hard pressed to see much change out of 11000 plus if you want the rrods they wont be cheap either.

On the other hand if you go custom you could comfortably have a kit put together for 7000 with a full tyrbo back system, but i would pay the extra 4000 for the piece of mind that the best are doing the kit.

DCSR
15-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Turboing is a dear path to gain power but it is worth it, i will be turboing mine later down the track but my car still has almost two and a half years warrenty so i will be waiting for a little bit of time yet.

For now i am going to follow the Na path and when i want to do something there will be more products out there. 12 months ago there was only really 2 turbo kits out there Hiboost and Bell Engineering, now there are dosens and when i do my car there will be even more.

You can tell me to shut up but here is my 2cents wait 6 months and in that time do the car up asthetically with the interior and exterior, then turbo the sucker and it will be cheaper as the prices of turboing will come down when i was looking in march at turboing the hiboost kit was 4000 us it is now 3500 us the price will continue to slide which will mean the street dreams price will have to slide too.

Also the street dreams kit is probably the best way to go, but not a cheap excersise $8500 plus $1000 installation plus a turbo back exhaust system you will be hard pressed to see much change out of 11000 plus if you want the rrods they wont be cheap either.

On the other hand if you go custom you could comfortably have a kit put together for 7000 with a full tyrbo back system, but i would pay the extra 4000 for the piece of mind that the best are doing the kit.

I have been thinking about doing the same thing, and you all have pretty much covered any questions I had, Does anyone have a link for the street dreams kit? I have seen the HiBoost site, $3,995 for their kit for the FS engine. Is that the same in the 1.8l Laser?
A BPT engine swap is a strange idea for such a new car i think.

What other internal organs should i think about changing to cope with a turbo conversion besides the rods?

Are there any places in Oz i should look for?

Dave

chicaboo
15-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Hi Dave,

Tidy and I have been pretty excited about the idea of doing a turbo kit group buy late next year. The link to the Australian site is http://www.streetdreams.com.au/workshop.asp?process=turbokit
The Hiboost guy and has been giving us some useful feedback, mainly due to the fact that they have done many cars, 1.8s and 2.0s (even autos). So they are well aware of safe boost levels for their market. However I have been reading some confilcting stories on msprotege.com about reliability with the autos...
In any case you cannot put a BPT motor in your/our cars because they are an older unit and therefore it is not allowed by law. And it appears you get much better reliability from these turbo kits over an engine swap. Beyond that it is maintainance and driving style I take it.
If you want to run 200whp+ on the 2.0 it is suggested you will need to get forged rods and a new clutch. I have no knowledge in this area so I can't tell you anymore on this. However it seems the 1.8 will tolerate 200whp without needing the rods done. Automatics should only run 7psi (and people are suggesting oil coolers aswell).
Your biggest problem after this will be traction, I've gained some traction after putting a front strut brace on my car. Although a front sway bar (more expensive) would give you better traction, but you may get bad understeer if you run a front sway and strut brace together (A rear sway bar won't be enough to cancel these out). It seems you get one or the other. Or you can go LSD...

Good luck,
Gav.

Laser the Amazer
15-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Your biggest problem after this will be traction, I've gained some traction after putting a front strut brace on my car. Although a front sway bar (more expensive) would give you better traction, but you may get bad understeer if you run a front sway and strut brace together (A rear sway bar won't be enough to cancel these out). It seems you get one or the other. Or you can go LSD...

Good luck,
Gav.

I don't find getting traction an issue with my BPT Lynx. Having 18's with good gripping tyres help. if you are running standard tyres like I have done, dumping 2nd gear will find a decent loss of traction. Comes down to how you drive it as well.

I found my lowering springs helped by not letting the car lift so much hence the weight on the front wheels was not getting as light.

Rob