PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power when driving

anton
13-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Has anyone ever had this happen to them.. I was acelerating up a slight hill doing bout 100 k/hr when all of a sudden I lost all power and had to pull off to the side. When i stopped the car stalled.. I started the car again and it was all normal again. car has an aftermarket ECU so im wondering if it has something to do with that?

Thanks

platypus
13-09-2004, 05:04 PM
aftermarket filter???

and 2nd thing, is your air filter dirty, and does it have any blockages???

anton
13-09-2004, 05:23 PM
yeh its just a POD filter and its not dirty pretty new actually.. i doubt that would of been the cause tho??? i was thinking more of a fuel issue but thanks for your suggestions

platypus
13-09-2004, 05:31 PM
hold on you have a new turbo too....

anton
13-09-2004, 06:00 PM
hahaha yes thats a good point.. i should have mentioned that

Cosmo Dude
13-09-2004, 06:06 PM
If it just died in the ass then it could be a loose connection in the power circuit to your new ECU. I have had the same problem which I was lucky to find before I called a tow truck.

anton
13-09-2004, 07:24 PM
thanks for that Cosmo..ill have to have a look in the morning see how the connection is

Mazda_Brian
24-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Can you give a slightly better description of the symptoms, did the turbo start spooling, had it been spooling, do you know if it went to boost harder than normal, etc.

When was the last time you checked your fuel filter (was going to mention air, but you said this is pretty much new)?

Also, as mentioned, with an aftermarket ECO, check that there is no loos connectors, no dirt of grit inbetween any of the connectors, and if it has a diagnostics memory on it, grab yourself a PC link and retrieve the info, this will help HEAPS.

Brian.

anton
26-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks Mazda rain for your reply. When it happened I was coming up to a slight hill so I accelerated pretty hard and thats when it lost power, so yes it was spooling. I havent checked my fuel filter coz apparently when I rang one of the auto shops up to get another fuel filter they said that mine was built into my fuel tank and not to worry about it so I didnt bother. Ive checked all my connections to ECU aswell

anton
26-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks Mazda rain for your reply. When it happened I was coming up to a slight hill so I accelerated pretty hard and thats when it lost power, so yes it was spooling. I havent checked my fuel filter coz apparently when I rang one of the auto shops up to get another fuel filter they said that mine was built into my fuel tank and not to worry about it so I didnt bother. Ive checked all my connections to ECU aswell

wiredone
27-09-2004, 12:50 AM
well it could be several things...

ideas running through my head...:

1. loose connection somewhere on either ECU side or something else luking somewhere in the engine bay... if your using a piggy back of any kind without a plug and play loom chances are someone ****ed around with your wiring to hook it up...

2. Heat... if you had been hammering it around and the tune isnt perfect you could have had really high exhaust gas temps (also caused by running lean on boost although those injectors i organised for you should have solved this) this could have caused serious mis-firing from the fuel being really hot before ignition inside the cylinder... was it hot? (the engine, or has you sat somewhere really hot ie traffic on a hot day for a while before hand)

3. fuel mixture.... if you have tuned to overcome the standard compression ratios on our cars you are running rich on boost to avoid detonation... way off life (either that or so much retarded timing it makes having boost pointless) but a catch is that if not tuned correctly you could be blackening up badly or even wetting the plugs... had you been sitting around for a while at a set of lights before you hammered it... does it feel kinda dead in the pedal up hills etc...? check your plugs and see what their like...

4. Bad ground.... under heavy load up a hill on full boost a bad ground could cause the spark to not seek the outside of the plug happily enough.... happens more than you'd think and can be fixed ever so easily with either a ground strap or by finding the offending strap and re-affixing it...

i could list 100 more things but it really needs more info...
does it happen much? has it happened since you posted...?
P.s how's your clutch going so far...?

anymore questions i'd be happy to help

anton
27-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Thanks Wiredone, Ive had a look at most of those things and it hasnt done it since, just some reoccuring pigroot or surge type thing instead. The car wasnt hotter than normal when it happened and I wasnt sitting at the lights or anything like that. Im thinking this pigroot or watever u like to call it has something to do with it.. Its a bit hard to explain but if you can imagine driving along and then your car jerking for a second you might get the drift. By the way just got my new heavy duty clutch so all is well there :D

wiredone
27-09-2004, 11:01 AM
sounds like either a miss-fire... (could be for a couple of reasons... what do your coil packs look like?) or the same problem we were discussing above... wire loose on the ECU.. if its doing that it sounds like either a ground or an ignition output

anton
27-09-2004, 01:40 PM
yeh i had my spark plugs changed but havent looked at my coils so that will be the next thing on the list. i will run those things by the guy whose ben tuning my car and tell him to check it out. thanks again Wiredone

Mazda_Brian
07-10-2004, 07:18 AM
yeh i had my spark plugs changed but havent looked at my coils so that will be the next thing on the list. i will run those things by the guy whose ben tuning my car and tell him to check it out. thanks again Wiredone

When you changed the plugs, did you change the leads as well.

Modern day cars run impregnated wire spark plug leads, if you bend them, you break the impregnated wires, causing sparking through the leads.

This sparking can be great on a cold day, due to the spark being double heat when it fires in the cilinder, but the time lost during spark will retard the timing on that cylinder slightly, it will also cause reliabilioty problems when it comes to power delivery when required, also lead to mis-firing as well.

I would think about replacing the leads if you haven't already, and also think about the coils (which you are already).

B.

wiredone
08-10-2004, 12:47 AM
The stock leads on astina's are not real long, the chance of them being brocken inside the insulation is minimal... i agree it would cause it arc inside the lead, but on the SP20 for instance the longest lead is 10cm long, as it has coils directly over the rocker cover

if you still have this problem we'll keep discussing it, but remember everything about the situation when it happened... it helps greatly...

other than that i'm always happy to help

anton
08-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks for your comments Wiredone. I had my spark plugs changed and this problem hasnt happened again. The thing that does happen on occasions is the surge thing I was talking about.. When driving along sometimes along the highway or going up hills it will surge. Now when I got my turbo done at the beginning with just the turbo nothing else it was fine.. Now the only thing i can think it has to do with is either the Fuel Pump, Injectors ( which I doubt) or The Ecu. They are the only things that were changed after this problem started occuring. Im leaning towards it being a faulty ful pump which sometimes doesnt feed enough fuel therefore causing the surging.. im not sure.. has anyone ever had this happen to them??

Cheers
Anton

BigMal
26-10-2004, 05:32 PM
You all beat me to it. I was just going to say I replaced my leads today
with new Top Gun 8.8mm and what a difference they made. My old 8.8's
died 6 months ago and I have been running around on the stockies and I
had all these intermittant problems, coughing and spluttering when just
putting around, stalls, sluggishness etc etc and after replacing them today
the responsiveness and extra torque the old baby has is great. Still not
perfect but 200% on previous. I knew it had to be either fuel, air or
spark for ages been looking for air leaks etc, replacing fuel filters getting
the mechanics to check it over and in the end for me it was damn leads.

I cant say I have ever had the car surging thou. You done the simple by
changing the fuel filter again and not running the car till the bottom of the
tank so it doesn't suck up the ****.

Cosmo Dude
26-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Mal,
How old were the old top gun leads when they stopped working?

BigMal
26-10-2004, 08:21 PM
I got 5-6 years out of them so cant complain. The shielding failed in
the plastic section over the spark plug leading to the spark earthing
against the head and not with the spark plug. Hoping for similar life
out of these. Lastly the red 8.8's look SSSOOO good in the engine bay!

TURBO MAZDA
31-12-2004, 08:53 AM
OK had the same problem on my BG astina,

Ended up being that i had pulled a wire half off near the coil and module , When changing the battery.

Connected the wire fully on and now back to normal.

i also did the same befor finding the problem , changed the leads and plugs, no change then i found the wire.