PDA

View Full Version : my brake upgrade update

twilightprotege
25-09-2004, 05:44 AM
so i went to see the brake guys the other day and had a good hard look at the brake setup.

what we'll be doing is moving the rx7 caliper downwards because it cant fit on the standard lugs. a bracket/bridge will be made up to allow this.

the discs will be 2 peice. this allows much greater room to move for the inset of the brake to allow the caliper to clear the wheel. the brake guys said with this track should only be increased 5-6mm per side which wont be much of a problem

rotors will be dba 5000 series

pads will be EBC green, with something more for the track ofcourse

castrol RBF 600 brake fluid will be used

stainless steel lines made up will be ADR approved - will post about a GB in the for sale section

car will be dropped in for the work thursday next week :D

platypus
25-09-2004, 10:45 AM
woohoo!!!

sounds promising, please andy can you borrow a good digi, and get pics???

Cloudland
25-09-2004, 01:08 PM
yes lots of pics please. :P

platypus
25-09-2004, 01:12 PM
cloudland, don't you have a sport 20? AWD???

Cloudland
25-09-2004, 01:55 PM
cloudland, don't you have a sport 20? AWD???
no, it's a sp20, FWD. almost bought a black sport 20, which is $3000 cheaper, but 40Ks more on the odometre.

didn't realise the sport 20 is AWD with something like 20 more KWs. i might change my idea knowing that. but i like my yellow sp20 a lot. :)

platypus
25-09-2004, 02:15 PM
its an option, but because of where you are, its available to you... grrrr

Cloudland
25-09-2004, 02:42 PM
its an option, but because of where you are, its available to you... grrrr
oh right, didn't realise it's an option neither. anyway.

so U mean OZ doesn't get imported sport 20 (easily)? well i'm n00b and loaded with dump questions. i understand that it's quite easy to import cars into NZ, no GST for private importers, no customs duty, even LHD can be imported, etc. but, it seems there are only 2 mazda club in NZ, one for mx-5 and one for rotary.

platypus
25-09-2004, 03:23 PM
theres a few on here in NZ....

we can only import 15 year old cars, but as you guys have no local car industry to support, you can import cars... having said that, to get a car into australia, i believe we can use NZ as a backdoor

twilightprotege
25-09-2004, 07:36 PM
yes i'll grab my mum's digi cam...isnt is weird that my mum has a better digi cam than me...and she has no computer???

oh and james, we can import any car, so long as that model and varient was not sold in australia.

platypus
25-09-2004, 09:59 PM
really huh??? so an awd sport 20 isn't out of the questin......hmmmmm

ok t/j over

yes i want them picas

twilightprotege
26-09-2004, 05:28 PM
a sport20 awd can be imported no problem.

platypus
26-09-2004, 05:30 PM
and registered? and i havn't got one yet why?

twilightprotege
26-09-2004, 05:34 PM
yes, you just need to follow the usual BS process and you'll be right.

twilightprotege
30-09-2004, 10:19 AM
car is at the brake guys. dropped in there at 7:20am this morning. i hadnt even left and they were already working on it :D

arden
30-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Put me down for a spicy orange mazdaspeed protege then.

Andy, So u wil be pickin up ur car after work today?????

twilightprotege
30-09-2004, 10:54 AM
hell no - about 2-3 weeks!

it's a total custom job. hopefully 2 rather than 3 weeks

twilightprotege
30-09-2004, 10:55 AM
elaberating - they need to make mounting brackets for both sides, and the hat for the two peice rotors i'm getting. doesnt sound like much work, but i can assure you it is!

arden
30-09-2004, 10:56 AM
damn, thats a long time with no car.

twilightprotege
30-09-2004, 11:32 AM
yeah i'm sad already :(

Riceboy
01-10-2004, 09:06 PM
but u gonna b damn happy when u get the car back

stop on a 5 cent piece :D

twilightprotege
01-10-2004, 09:15 PM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

lamby1986
02-10-2004, 08:23 AM
^^^^ yeah, about that long stopping distance

twilightprotege
08-10-2004, 02:06 PM
just spoke to the brake guys.

everything is going real well. brackets are all made up, hat for the 5000 series rotor is made up. early next week will be a test fitting and all going well i'll have the car back by the end of next week - ready for the FL cruise :D

twilightprotege
15-10-2004, 02:24 PM
update again - just spoke to the brake guy.

looks like the series 6 calipers are on the slightly too big side for inside the stock wheel. an aftermarket wheel i'd be fine, but not the stock. at the moment it is all fitted up and has about 1mm clearance, however they did need to take size off the caliper and the brake guy is not happy. they are looking at it again this afternoon and will try a pair of 4 pot series 5 calipers as they are slightly smaller in external size but have the same piston sizes.

if series 5 calipers are used, new brackets will need to be made up so fingers crossed it'll be ready monday either way. well here's hoping

TDK
15-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Once it's all up and going, whats the chance of us Sydney guys getting a set sent up. Do you know if your brake guy would ship the parts to Sydney. I REALLY need some serious stopping power.

twilightprotege
15-10-2004, 07:25 PM
i cant see it being much of a problem. the should keep the dimensions for what they did to my car....and also they would have learned from the small mistakes on my car.

just a word of warning (mainly because of the 2 peice rotors and 4 pot calipers)...dont expect change from $2500 for a complete front and rear upgrade (rear just new rotors and pads only though)

twilightprotege
18-10-2004, 12:56 PM
update part 56385.

well looks like i will finally be getting my car back, late this afternoon.

they are having a small problem fitting up the stainless lines at the moment because for some reason (probably during original manufacturing) it wont line straight up with the new lines. really strange. hopefully they wont have to make new solid lines for the part that's stuffing up. if they do, car wont be back until tomorrow (but probably later in the week coz i wont be able to get it before then). other than that, it's complete :D

will be leaving home at 3pm to pick it up. hopefully the hole in my wallet wont be too extreme! :shock:

SFC01
18-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Don't forget to be real sensible and bed everything in before you go nuts. No doubt Trevor will give some good instruction on that front, if they haven't gone some way to doing it for you.

twilightprotege
18-10-2004, 10:36 PM
ok. pic first (damn dodgy mobile phone camera, but looks damn great none the less)

http://users.tpg.com.au/katsuro/front%20brakes%20FD%20caliper.jpg

twilightprotege
18-10-2004, 10:50 PM
now for the story.

number 1 :cry:
has anyone noticed how dba has the front and rear rotors for the BJ 1.8 and 2.0L the same? until today they didnt know the sp20 has 5 studs over the 1.8 4 studs and a different centre hole diameter. so dba will work on this.

number 2 :cry:
(kinda long) everything was working fine. as you can see from the picture the rotors look farking sweet (295mm x 25mm thick, 2 piece with a custom hat). the caliper looks mean - it's a perfect fit! stainless steel lines look insane! and then i left home.
2:45 i left home (bus to the city)
3:28 i catch a train to helensvale (gold coast)
4:30 i get to helensvale and call trevor to get him to pick me up, but he was busy and said he'd be a while. i didnt mine waiting, but at 5:30 i was on my way. he bought me dinner anyway, so i was a happy camper
6:00 get to the shop and the guys were bleeding the system. was starting to get a hard on so i sat down and ate dindins.
6:30 the guys who were bleeding the car come in and have a chat to us and were talking about the setup. i said i'm totally confident with their ability and i'm sure it'll be fine, but the only concern i had was the caliper as it was 2nd hand - just wished it didnt leak.
7:00 the guys to back to the car and call trevor over. oh oh
7:05 i go and have a look at the car. just a bit of brake fluid everywhere! if you have a look at the picture you'll see on the caliper a small ring right in the centre of the caliper. here's the reasoning behind it.
they had to shave back part of the caliper to make it fit behind the wheel. they went too far. as the system was sitting the pressure just made that ring pop crack boom! boom! and shot brake fluid over another car (corolla nah nah) and the floor. bad bad bad. now that caliper is stuffed.
but luckily trevor being the great guy he is offered to give me the set of series 5 calipers he has lying around from a customer who died 18 months ago. so they are now going to try and make them fit.
7:57 catch the train back to brisbane
9:40 walk in the door :(

now what does this mean? i still have no car. they are confident it will be fixed up pretty quickly as they know what the problem is and how to get around it (lucky they have a spare set of calipers). fingers crossed i'll have the car back this week so i can get to the FL cruise. i really really wanna go!!!

i think they got a little to cute with the hat for the rotor. they were going to leave heaps of room and take back the hat after everything was fitted and looked good. oh well. anyway the series 5 caliper is exactly the same internals (4 pistons and same pads etc), just is slightly smaller and a little 80's looking. compaired to the lovely lines of the series 6 it looks like crap. but hell if it'll do the job who cares.

so that's my story.

twilightprotege
18-10-2004, 10:55 PM
oh an sfc - they are going to bed the brakes in for me :D

but i have to say again, damn it looks sweet! i should have taken a pic with the wheel on. looks great! cant complain with 295mm rotors vs 258mm stock!

oh i forgot to add to the story. a guy in a EVO7 rocked up just after the pop and had new front rotors put on (he was racing in the indy rally). man those suckers are huge!!! (320mm)

boostedbatman
19-10-2004, 04:39 AM
Cant wait to see them at the cruise. Have booked my car in at J&S Autocare for a few bits of concern and a tune on Thursday, is your car still there?

twilightprotege
19-10-2004, 08:11 AM
nah my car is down at helensvale at brake distributors of australia.

twilightprotege
20-10-2004, 09:17 PM
still waiting :cry:

chipa
21-10-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm going to cry soon! Give twiggylights car back!!

:D :D :D

twilightprotege
21-10-2004, 08:49 PM
update :

called trevor this arvo. he was at indy (corporate box). anyway

imagine me dancing like that irish dancer michael flaherty (or whatever his freaking name is)

getting the car tomorrow arvo. everything fits fine.

and in the words of trevor's mechanics "it just stops!"

twilightprotege
22-10-2004, 08:45 AM
did i mention i'm getting my car back this afternoon? :twisted:

chipa
22-10-2004, 08:54 AM
did i mention i'm getting my car back this afternoon? :twisted:

who's a happy boy then!! :) I expect to hear all about the hard core testing session...... muuuhahahaha :twisted:

twilightprotege
22-10-2004, 09:51 AM
i cant give it a full on work out until next week. going through the mountains on sunday will be great for bedding everything in