View Full Version : 18" on SP20 question

01-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Hi there guys,

I currently have a stock SP20 and planning to put 18" wheels and drop it in the near future.

My question is does anyone know how much it would cost to get an engineering certificate so that it would be street legal?
I just want to know roughly how much it would be so i can view my options.


02-10-2004, 03:07 AM
mine was $550 - and that covers everything on the car. (they also go over everything on the car!)

that was vic, and for a lot more than just wheels/lowering tho, so it might be cheaper for less

02-10-2004, 08:33 AM
basic report in nsw starts at $350 an goes up depending on the amount off mods

personnally i think u would just waste ur money on it just for wheels an springs

if ur rims are no wider then 7.5 an u can put ur fingers between the tyre an mudguard its legal

02-10-2004, 11:28 AM
The rims i'm planning on getting are 18 by 7.5 so i guess its considered illegal.

If i do go ahead with it, would it be covered by the insurance company (AAMI) since there is a engineering certificate and its RTA approved?

know of any places i can get an engineering certifcate around the liverpool/parramatta area?

cool thanks for the info guys.

Cosmo Dude
02-10-2004, 11:58 AM
The RTA should be able to give you a list of engineers, you can then find one closest to you. It's not an engineers job to rubber stamp things like this, he/she will most likely look at things like stub axles etc... before giving you a recomendation or a certificate.

Will AAMI cover the mod once engineered? I guess the best people to ask are the good folk down at AAMI.

02-10-2004, 06:32 PM
AAMI only allows you a total of 3 performance "mods" to your car. i.e (1) the wheels (2) lowering (3) anything else! After that they send you to justcars (their sister company)

02-10-2004, 09:18 PM
ur 18' x 7.5 will not be illegal if ur on 35 series tyres because the rolling dia is 610mm ,an for a standard sp20 16 x 6.5 with a 50 series its 612mm ur allowed 10mm difference before it alters ur speedo

02-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Can't you just get your speedo re-calibrated if the diameter is too far out? For a bit over $100 a jaycar kit can even do it for electronic driven speedo's.

03-10-2004, 12:59 AM
$35 at carringbah by a speedo dude the does it properly , but as i said u get that rite size an its legal an still accurate

03-10-2004, 05:58 PM
thanks for the reply to my questions guys.

Now all i have to do know is go shopping for my rims and get a good price. Hope to get them before the end of the month.

Thanks again

04-10-2004, 04:36 PM
i got my eng cert done at hornsby nsw for 200 covers full xorst system and pod filter,
for lowering you don't need it at all, just call up rta and they will tell you the exact legal figures, and as long as you don't go over it that will be ok then

31-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Hi guys,

I finally got my 18's and dumped my car 2".
I ended up getting 18X8 instead of 7.5.

Here are some pics.


31-10-2004, 07:12 PM
looking good! 8)

31-10-2004, 07:18 PM
those wheels look very very nice! me likey!

although, i'm a little concerned about how many weights they put on the rear pass side wheel...damn!

Cosmo Dude
31-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Looks great.
The house needs more white painted lions atop the brick fence bits though :lol: