PDA

View Full Version : Which brakes?

Kel26C
06-10-2004, 04:21 PM
I need a new set of brakes, back n front

which are the best ones??

i want to get brakes that dont have or have barly any brake dust!!!
the ones i have now r the orignals and they r crap when it cums to brake dust, looks like i have shadow crome.

anyways help plz!

Ta's
Kel
:lol:

twilightprotege
06-10-2004, 04:44 PM
there are no best brake pads. everyone has their own preference, and it greatly depends on your driving style.

so do you drive every day - city driving etc?

hardly ever drive, but when you do you're on the edge?

i take it from your post you dont like brake dust. what about noise?

Kel26C
06-10-2004, 05:29 PM
i don't like noise, my b/f had bendicks altimates and i hated them
i drive to wollongon everyday from sydney..
n i m a bit of a rev-head

chicaboo
06-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Worst carbon deposits I've seen is on BMW 3s and Holden Astras! Atleast they stop faster perhaps? Hmmm, wash them more often...

BTW: "26C" would sound like "too sexy" to a kiwi! (Which I'm not...)

Gav.

twilightprotege
06-10-2004, 05:37 PM
i would say EBC greenstuff. not cheap (around $250 per axle), but good street pad that can handle race conditions for a short while. and low dust too :D

Kel26C
06-10-2004, 06:05 PM
k, is there anything a lil cheaper?
but does the job??

twilightprotege
06-10-2004, 07:14 PM
i've never bought cheap pads. i know there are a lot that are good for less, but as far as braking (ie safety) is concerned, money is not an issue for me.

try www.racebrakes.com.au - they might have some good cheaper pads (they make their own), however i dont know their compounds etc

platypus
07-10-2004, 01:03 AM
generally i've noticed that the lower dust compounds need more heat to work properly or scream when they bite....

what i would suggest is some ultimates or the standard stuff (as for the daily rat race this is all that is really needed)

BUT - sorry to say this..... wash your wheels.... v. well in fact take them off and scrub them up ..... then polish them... this will make the removal of brake sut a lot easier, BUT brake dust is hot when it hits your wheels, so it will always stick...

option 2 (which i havn't tried) would be to use some of the brake dust cleaner crap, simple spray - leave then hose down....

Cosmo Dude
07-10-2004, 07:05 PM
If I follow through with my planned brake upgrade I'll be looking at Hawk pads, still not cheap but another option. I believe they make 'em for the BJ.
As a general rule the hotter the pad the worse it performs when cold.

JynX
07-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Lucas are an ok alternative to Bendix.

twilightprotege
07-10-2004, 07:48 PM
i think from reading the american forum they only make hawk HP's (not the hp plus) for the bj, not 100% sure though

jcywong
08-10-2004, 04:28 PM
green stuff don't have for the 1.8

Rupewrecht
08-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Lucas are good, but i havent had bendix/ebc so cant compare to them. dusty buggers tho!

twilightprotege
08-10-2004, 06:26 PM
really? the BJ's all have the same calipers i thought???

i'm getting EBC green for the rear of mine

project.r.racing
08-10-2004, 06:55 PM
calipers are all different thoughtout the model, but Lucas are great, when you hit the brake pedal you neally hit the steering wheel with your head. they really grip, but do give off too much brake dust for the 1st 10,000km's. good option!