PDA

View Full Version : Big sub's - Whats the biggest anyone got here?

Sandyman
01-12-2002, 05:17 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid5]whats the biggest sub that anybody has in an astina here?[/color:post_uid5]

Critter
01-12-2002, 10:57 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well mine isn't exactly huge, but is big enough :)

Kicker Square 12L7, which is about equivalent to 13.5" in a round one.[/color:post_uid0]

Mr_Bob
01-12-2002, 01:01 PM
[color=#000080:post_uid0]probably mine :)

Critter's seen it.
it's a monster.
54.62mm of xmax (how far the cone travels)
before it starts to distort.
been dubbed the ultra low frequency air pump.
only a 12" though *:p[/color:post_uid0]

EZZY
01-12-2002, 01:08 PM
[color=#000080:post_uid0]wow... ben, remembered you told us that last sunday.
would love to see it in action though.

most of you probably know that im not a huge fan of big systems, cos for me.....
huge systems = headache

but i love to see a properly installed and functional sound system. i think critter's setup looks cool! :cool:[/color:post_uid0]

sik astina
01-12-2002, 06:07 PM
[color=#0000FF:post_uid2]i got a 15" Marathon sub in my astina, got another sitting in my room :O that one might be goin in leannes car :p

-Mick :;):[/color:post_uid2]

Dogo
02-12-2002, 06:03 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]personally, i dont like 15" subs. *they dont sound as good as a 12" in my opinion. * from all the systems i've heard, i dont think bigger is neccessarily better :) * They sound kinda loose, almost like they're coming from farther away.

i have a single 12". *'Soon' to be 2 x 12"or10" L7s.

Who has a dual-magnet sub ? and are they worth the extra $$ ?

Dave[/color:post_uid0]

Critter
02-12-2002, 07:33 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]IMO the thing about subs, dual magnet, dual voice coil whatever, it is the the whole equation that matters.
ie Sub performance = driver(s) + enclosure design + enclosure quality + installation + amplification.

Mr_Bob's crazy Brahma thing (suits him....) has triple-stacked magnets yada yada. But in the end, it's horses for courses.

Fact is, a relatively inexpensive and simple sub driver can sound excellent in a well-considered set-up and an exxy/fancy thing can be crap if done by an idiot.[/color:post_uid0]

sik astina
02-12-2002, 09:38 PM
[color=#0000FF:post_uid5]Hey Dave,

I used to have a 12" sub in my car...only lasted a week lol... with the music I listen to the 12" didnt give out enough bass for my liking :p The 15 gives me the bass I like, nice and deep. I like my rnb, hip hop, rap and gangsta style music so a 12 doesnt cut it. :laugh:

-Mick :cool:[/color:post_uid5]

BigBoyLemonade
02-12-2002, 11:06 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I agree with critter..

Its about the whole package not the individual equipment...

with subs its all about how you build the box.... you can make a 12" sound like a 15" and vice versa if you build the right box[/color:post_uid0]

Toyboy
03-12-2002, 06:00 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid14]Hey mik if a 12"inch doesnt cut it,get 2 of them :;): i personally like the 12" subs over the others myself,like lantis said,if you set them up well they can sound good,ive put a person with 2 MTX 15" subs to shame b4 with my 2½ year old 12's :laugh:[/color:post_uid14]

BigMal
03-12-2002, 07:47 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Hey Critter,
With regards to my system I wanted to get you to
have a listen when we were in canberra, but forgot about
it when we were there, having too much fun or the 3
jim beams for lunch, don't know which. Anyway I run
2x12" Hi-Fonics Olympians each in a 1.2Cft box, one of
those prefab units which I liked due to ease of removal.
Single father with a son thing so need the boot sometimes.

I do love them because they are punchy, you can listen
all the way back from Canberra loud enough not to see
a thing out the rear mirror but have no headache at the
end. *Problem is they are a little too punchy and I would
like to deepen there note as sometimes you feel the song
bass goes deeper but the subs don't. *They are sealed
which is what the Hi-Fonics like. *Can I add the Dacron
(not sure if thats right name) white stuff in there to make
the box like a 1.4cft enclosure ??

Ta

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

Critter
03-12-2002, 09:39 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]My previous set-up was a ported 10 Type R that SMACKED a twin 15 set-up in a Civic.

Only one of us had a clue tho.....

IMO only crazy people want more bass than I can make with the S12L7, but I WILL concede there are some pretty crazy people about the place :)
There is a whole bunch of them at CAA.....

"Looks in Mr_Bob's direction" Now there is a crazy person LOL

Mal
Dacron will likely give you some help and make things a bit smoother/deeper at some small loss of efficiency/loudness but not a whole lot.
If you can give me the T/S specs I can make some more suggestions on what would be possible.[/color:post_uid0]

Dogo
03-12-2002, 09:33 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]hey Critter just wondering what u tuned ur box to and why that freq?

And do you have any info / links on reccomended box size for L7s ?

cheers,

Critter
04-12-2002, 08:06 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Dave
My enclosure is tuned to 30.5 Hz with 75 litre enclosure and a big 320 x 50mm 90 degree duct port.

Why? Gives really good in-car low bass extension, is a pretty smooth driver loading, and has still a bit of "push" in the 40-50Hz range which I personally like.

Kicker has a .pdf file with a bunch of "recommended" enclosures on their web site at www.kicker.com but in the American way, their idea of a low tune is what I would call "medium" tune......ie 35-38Hz ported.
Meaning a more pronounced "kick/push" at the expense of some smoothness and low extension.

Depends what you want.....I dig loooooow :)[/color:post_uid0]

Mr_Bob
05-12-2002, 09:01 AM
[color=#000080:post_uid0]pfft low and tuned to 30HZ in the same sentence?
try a 20-21Hz tune.
:)
i'll see about a pic of my sub, here's a link to a video of the 10" version.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/20br10rollin.mpeg[/color:post_uid0]

IceWish
24-12-2002, 03:25 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid14]Hey Sandman...im new to this forum.....im glad u guyz share the same interest as I...The Mazda 323 Astina Rocks!!!...I have a Metalic green 1996 1.8. Ill add the pics soon.
As for the ice i have 2 rockin kicker 12" comp VR...i built both boxes myself.These speakers are great...the price is really good and the allow minimum cubic space without sacrificing performance...Bottom line...i didnt loose my whole trunk and my my bass is great....and the grills are awesome.
I took out the 2 ... 5x7 in the front...put in earthquake Focus and replaced the 2 ...6 inch in the back doors with them as well.
I took out the back dash and had one custim built with 2 selinum 10 inch and 2 bullet tweeters which tilt slightly to the front and dont sacrifise my view in the back rea view....My car sounds good,,,not too loud but just right..My cousin had a sound off and i did like *145db.Which is good for me right now....[/color:post_uid14]

kyra
24-12-2002, 10:38 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Not sure if I can add something to this convo...but in my corolla sx, I had a rubicon SPL12 (soundstream) in a massive bandpass box...had a huge 4chan pioneer amp running and gave me (real basshead back then) and awesome sound... absolutely canned my cousins 2*12 pioneer DVC in his vs...

I totally agree with Chris, I don't think it is the size of the sub, but everything else that runs is.... box, installation, amplification..it all adds up... the sub + box set me back the cost of my mate's whole set-up...but it went off...best sound...sooooo f'n low!

I really did love the sound of the soundstream subs... pure banging bass... but definately think about one/two 12's in the hatch... if you get a 15 with a decent ported box, you will have no room left in your hatch for anything!!

Cheers,

Bill[/color:post_uid0]

pr1mo
24-12-2002, 11:27 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]icewish,
great to see someone from the west indies joining us on the forums. we see lots of crazy protoges' (as we aussies call them) come out of your area. do they have the hatchback in your area?

cheers mike[/color:post_uid0]

Sandyman
24-12-2002, 11:51 PM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]hey icewish
i agree wiv pr1mo: great to have some west indies people into the astina. those subs u got in there: are those the orange ones that have the silver bullet shaped thing in the middle? if so, i saw one of them the other day, and it was SWEET! looks wisre, sound wise....

who said they have the 12" kicker squares? nice.they were about 750 watts rms i think? i like the idea of the square sub. doesn't waste any space or none. very nice.[/color:post_uid0]

Sandyman
24-12-2002, 11:55 PM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]something for thought:

has anyone tried cutting holes in the back shelf of the astina for subs or anything? it might be a little interesting! might not work and all, but has anyone seen it done?[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
25-12-2002, 12:03 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]i'm guessing you haven't seen Dogo's shelf then!

Daves' new parcel shelf (http://www.davesole.com/photos/shelf/woodwork.html)

a set of Total Recoil kevlar 8" subs and 6" splits.[/color:post_uid0]

IceWish
25-12-2002, 10:48 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hey Mike/Mathew.....Its realy nice to have found this place.You wouldnt beleive how difficult it is to find anything to do with a 323 hatchback here...(in Trinidad)There are alota sedans....and they soup them up pretty good ...but hardly any astina...which is why its a perfect car for me...from the first moment i saw it....its such a kool car....diffrent from everyone elses and so rare here.I never thought it was even possable to get a body kit for my astina ...untill now.Im uploading the pics of my car this evening ....my car kinda looks like yours Mat..same color.I cant wait to get em some new threads..........[/color:post_uid0]

Dogo
25-12-2002, 06:59 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]hi shelf !!!

i havnt seen those pics for a while :;):

My first shelf was a modified astina shelf. *i had a pair of 6.5" coax speakers in there. *To make it a bit stronger, I added a sheet of 6mm mdf wood to the underside of the shelf, cut to match the lower section, before the shelf goes up to make the ridge. *That then had black speaker box carpet over it so it didnt look silly when u opened the boot :)

The wires for the speakers were tidied away in a black tube along the back-seat end of the shelf, and i had plugs just next to the hinges. *The wires then went down the back of the side cushions of the back seat to connect to the rest of the stereo.

The shelf in those pics is my current shelf. I custom made it from scratch. *Its covered in smooth black, so its not as ugly as it appears there. *It is a concept shelf, made to see if a) i like the look, and b) to see if i like that much sound coming from the rear. *The verdict ? Yes to both !!! *sounds awesome, and there will be tweets in the pillars of the little rear windows.

The main problem has been the weight of the speakers. *the size of the magnet ( as shown in the pics ) makes them reeeal heavy and the sides of the shelf just arn't proving strong enough.

Dogo
25-12-2002, 07:05 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]oh, and as for adding a full-size sub to the back shelf, i wouldnt reccomend it. Simply too much vibrations, and it wouldnt come through problerly from such a flimsy surface.

Plus being a hatch, an open-air sub just wouldnt work as good as a boxed sub. The 8" speakers on my current shelf are midbass drivers, not subs. There's a boxed sub in my boot which sits just under the shelf.[/color:post_uid0]

Sandyman
30-12-2002, 07:42 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]hey Rennie,
u think u could upload some pics of the fixed up hardtops from trinidad and put the link in here somewhere?[/color:post_uid0]