PDA

View Full Version : BA Speaker Wiring

JynX
21-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Dudes,

Has anyone run larger cable to the front and/or rear doors? If so how did you do it. I had a poke around and the loom going to the doors seems a real arsehole to work with.

Currently the setup is using the existing wiring, but the cable is a bit thin and I would like to upgrade it.

Any details on how you got the wire into the doors is appreciated.

Dogo
21-11-2004, 03:38 PM
i have nice fat stinger speaker wiring all through the car - the purple stuff.

in my case a hole has been made in chassis and door metal and it has been run across seperate from the main door loom. not perfect, but it works :)

i'll get some pics if you're interested?

Pernod
21-11-2004, 05:25 PM
I tried for ages to get some decent wires through...

Ended up taking it to an install shop and showing them my problem (They were installing an alarm at the time)... They said "No worries, we can get it through there".

I was realy looking forward to see how they got it through, but when I turned up to collect it they had run another hole in the door and chassis and run it seperate from the standard loom?!?

I asked them and they sheepishly said that "F**kd if they could wire it through the standard loom either!

So looks like that the only option... :-/

JynX
21-11-2004, 05:26 PM
hmmm i didnt really want to punch holes in the chassis to do it. Photos would be good dave if you can.

Cosmo Dude
21-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Where the wires attach to the body is actualy a plug and socket setup (lift the yellow pin to unplug).
You have a few options;
a) Mutilate the plugs to pass wires through.
b) Drill the chasis close to the plug and then access the rubber tube (only one hole for that one).
c) Make seperate holes for the wiring, as it's said above.
d) Attach the larger wires to each side of the plug where the factory wires join and hope that you're not just creating somewhere to loose all the benifit of bigger wiring.
I'm sure someone will have other ideas, bring 'em on.

Dogo
21-11-2004, 07:20 PM
it turns out I didnt punch a hole in the chassis - only the door.

i wasnt sure if it would get crushed but its been fine. originally I'd planned to only use it as a temporary setup but you know what these things are like :wink:

I have a rubber grommet and tube that I might dress it up with. no one seems to notice the wires there tho.

http://pics.davesole.net/mycar/sm100_0059.jpg

http://pics.davesole.net/mycar/sm100_0061.jpg

geez a flash really does make everything look dirty and cruddy !