PDA

View Full Version : removing exterior door trims

HI-RES
21-11-2004, 11:51 PM
any tips on pulling them off without snapping them or scratching the paint, I imagine just slide a stanley blade up there, are they just just double sided tape on?

arden
21-11-2004, 11:56 PM
theyre real easy to pull off.
get something flat and slide it under on one end till mouldings lift up a little bit then yank it off with ur hands.

Its the glue thats gonna be a real pain to remove.
Twilight used this 3M spray to speed up the process.
i ended up using my fingernails.
ahb11m used the goold ol paint scraper!!!!!

after glue is removed..give it a good wax and it'll be fully sick bro.

chipa
22-11-2004, 08:07 AM
I recall reading something about using fishing line to seperate them. The glue is the hard part!

HI-RES
22-11-2004, 07:34 PM
cool sounds pretty easy, I did try lifting it up ages ago but was worried it was gunna snap.

not worried about the glue because i'm painting the trims and reinstalling them.

I wonder what glue they used?

Rupewrecht
22-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Fishing line and a hair dryer are your friends ;)

work the heardryer over the glue (and side strips) until you can feel the heat in the plastic. dont melt the paint tho by leaving the hairdryer in one spot for too long - wave it over them.

then while the glue is warm, hold the fishing line tightly between your hands and slide it along where the glue is, and it shoudl cut through it fairly easy.

this wont take the glue off, mind you. You have to rub at it, or get some Desolv-It which wont harm your paint (well it didnt harm mine)

geetee
23-11-2004, 08:13 AM
why don`t you just mask them up and paint them? :?

HI-RES
24-11-2004, 12:45 AM
rupewrecht thanks for the tip! should be able to borrow a heat gun from work.

geetee - would b nice but mask & spray not an option, its a special paint finish that takes a coat each day x 5 and a bit impractical to leave my car there

will be done over xmas, I'll post a pic when done

cheers lads

kemicalx
27-11-2004, 09:53 PM
eucalyptus oil will get just about any glue substance off, i could almost garantee!

though would be wise to test it on the paint work uder the bonnet or something first to see if it wipes the paint off as well, however i doubt it would.

platypus
27-11-2004, 10:27 PM
DO NOT USE EUCALYPTUS OIL

IT DOES GET EVERYTHING OFF --- IE DOWN TO BARE METAL...

thank you for listening

kemicalx
27-11-2004, 10:31 PM
0o0o0o0 thanks for that

*makes a mental note*

-BraXta-
28-11-2004, 12:35 AM
really..

does eucalypt oil do that ...

ive been lookin for sumptin that does that =P
hhaha

platypus
28-11-2004, 09:19 AM
braxta - try a flame torch, or a mild acid bath - these work better than euco oil at removing paint....

Gold-BJ-Astina
29-11-2004, 09:25 PM
i have dun this to my bj astina they came off easy as only needed to use the blade at the start for like an inch or 2 to get a hold of it and for getting rid of the tape a finger nail and water the some polish worked weel for mine wouldnt even know they were ever there.