PDA

View Full Version : BA hatch brake light replacement question

ausastina97
14-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Hi guys,

I've just noticed that my left brake light is blown (taillight still fine) and I have to replace it. I just tried to have a look at what the globe is like and realised getting to the globe isnt as simple as I had hoped..... there is no "hatch" in the boot to access the globes, so before I take apart more of the car than needed, I was wondering whats the proper way to replace the globe?

I tried taking the taillight assembly out, undoing the two screws on the inner side of the light, but this didnt release it. Where else is it fastened?

Also, is the actual globe a double filament one (21W/5W) or just a single one (21W) for the brake light?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Adam

Dogo
14-12-2004, 03:27 PM
i *think* u tug it out. maybe to the side.

i have a spare taillight floating around. I'll check for u and let u know tomorrow if u dont have an answer yet.

Rupewrecht
14-12-2004, 03:31 PM
i'd say it's held in place by two white plastic plugs (as per the hardtop) - just give it a tug

ausastina97
14-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I'll check it out tomorrow, but Dogo if you do get the chance to confirm that its just clips that I have to pull out that would be great. I'd rather be sure before I break anything!

Also, the globe, is it a double filament one? If i know beforehand it means I only have to pull apart the light once thats all.

Cheers,
Adam

ABC
14-12-2004, 04:06 PM
After lifting up the hatch, undo the two screws on the inboard end of the light assembly then the whole light fitting should slide out at 90degrees (directly sideways if looking at the rear of the car).

From there you should be able to get to all the wiring/bulbs etc.

Just happened to have the manual sitting on the desk next to me (page 7-34 if you've got one). Looks as though the brake and tail lights are the same bulb. :)

pr1mo
14-12-2004, 04:07 PM
yeah i changed a bulb the other day....all you do is unscrew the 2 screws that hold the light in then tap it to the side. it took a lirrle bit of force i just used the palm of my hand 3 or 4 times.

its a double filament globe. just take it into the servo and theyll be able to help you out
cost me $2 per globe

cheers mike

ausastina97
15-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks heaps guys. I'll go out and get the globe today and put it in this afternoon.

Cheeers
Adam

ausastina97
15-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Installed it no problems, was actually easier than I thought to get the taillight assembly off. One light palm stroke on the tailight got it out.

Thanks
Adam

-BraXta-
15-12-2004, 07:36 PM
ok on the topic of rear brake light probs..

i got the stock spoiler on my Hardtop astina... and like the brake light dont work..

anyone know how to replacve that slut =P

Cosmo Dude
15-12-2004, 08:03 PM
I'd first check that you have power to the plug before you attack the spoiler.

BigMal
25-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Hey if you replace the globes with LED globes do they work as both
taillights and brakelights or just brakes ??

Rupewrecht
25-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Hey if you replace the globes with LED globes do they work as both
taillights and brakelights or just brakes ??

the LED globes that you can get from Jaycar are both stop and taillight.

BUT i'd advise you not to get them, as the intensity difference is pretty minimal, to be honest :(

but they do give a cool circle out the back of the light...shame they're impractical

BigMal
26-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Impractical or Waste of Money ???
Why otherwise do you say Impractical.

Rupewrecht
26-12-2004, 08:41 PM
well, impractical because they dont work well enough :(

but not a waste of money because i'm using them only for brake lights and not tail/stop

platypus
27-12-2004, 03:20 PM
and will probably last the lifetime of the car

Nate
27-12-2004, 06:27 PM
they would be suitable on a clear taillight car ... i bought them and they are worse (IMO) thru a red lense

mrpayner
27-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Boyd bought some white LED lights for his reversing lights.. They were so dull you couldn't even see them in daylight.. waste of money for sure.. :(

AP