PDA

View Full Version : Where to start on an engine swap?

skippy
29-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Say I wanted to swap an engine, such as removing my KF-01 (I think that is it) and replacing it with a KL-ZE where do I start in regards to legality?

I believe the emissions control regs state that the engine can not produce more emissions then the regualtions for the build year of the new engine or the car whichever is more recent. Sounds simple but how would I know?
The engine was first made in 92 and was made up until at the very least 97 and my car is 96 model.
Where do I start with this?

If you have looked at EPA fines they can get pretty dam nasty so I don’t want to spend lotsa of money and time making something that could get defected on its first day out and will need to be restored to the original engine plus having to pay a 5 digit fine.

I don’t need exact answers just point me in the right direction,

I believe the BPT’s are usually older than the BA models they are now living in.

Also what complications will there be in regards to importing a Japan spec engine? Our Aussie factory versions are always detuned so how would I be able to use one that hasn’t been detuned? Is this even possible?

I know Cork Sport the one supplier I have looked at who seems to actually know the product says this engine is imported for off road use only due to emission control issues.
If however you do a search in any yankie mazda forum and they are plentiful.

platypus
29-12-2004, 11:05 AM
i beleive its quite do-able, as to your car and trying to put a 4cyl in - don't bother

first step would be acquire an engine - once you have this you need to decide how brave you are, are you going to go to a mechanic, or be brave and do it at home?

engine swaps arn't too tricky, but i think you need a mechanic to look at it anyway, as you need to have the paper work done for the RTA

try a local wrecker as they can quite often import j-spec front cuts for you

Rupewrecht
29-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Say I wanted to swap an engine, such as removing my KF-01 (I think that is it) and replacing it with a KL-ZE where do I start in regards to legality?

I believe the emissions control regs state that the engine can not produce more emissions then the regualtions for the build year of the new engine or the car whichever is more recent. Sounds simple but how would I know?
The engine was first made in 92 and was made up until at the very least 97 and my car is 96 model.
Where do I start with this?

If you have looked at EPA fines they can get pretty dam nasty so I don’t want to spend lotsa of money and time making something that could get defected on its first day out and will need to be restored to the original engine plus having to pay a 5 digit fine.

I don’t need exact answers just point me in the right direction,

I believe the BPT’s are usually older than the BA models they are now living in.

Also what complications will there be in regards to importing a Japan spec engine? Our Aussie factory versions are always detuned so how would I be able to use one that hasn’t been detuned? Is this even possible?

I know Cork Sport the one supplier I have looked at who seems to actually know the product says this engine is imported for off road use only due to emission control issues.
If however you do a search in any yankie mazda forum and they are plentiful.

BAs and BPTs are fine, as the BP engine and the BPT were emissions tested at the same time (circa 1989), and the BP in the BA is really no different to the BG version. Hence why my 1996 car was able to be engineered with a 1990-1994 engine.

regarding the KL-ZE,i'm not so sure - as the KF-01 didnt appear until 94. You should be right though, as the emissions for the KL-03 (who says its a KL-ZE? they're externally identical ;) ) would still be current at the time of the KF-01

if you want it fully legil, go talk to an engineer. they wont charge you for just a 'i want to do this and will it be ok' conversation :)

but really, it'll look like a stock engine, and i doubt you'd get hassled by cops - there's no turbo hanging off it!

platypus
29-12-2004, 11:22 PM
but BPT to a 6cyl freme???

pr1mo
30-12-2004, 12:04 AM
but BPT to a 6cyl freme???

nah youd have to change too much. the boxes are diffent. all the driveshafts/hubs/brakes are diffrent would be a nightmare job i suspect!

cheers mike

Rupewrecht
30-12-2004, 12:16 AM
where does he talk about putting a BPT into a V6 chassis?!?! :? :? :?

and if it was a BAP1 the gearboxes/driveshafts are the same

platypus
30-12-2004, 10:10 AM
when he mentioned putting a BPT into his car - he has a 6cyl

shock
30-12-2004, 12:55 PM
no, he mentioned swapping it for a kl-ze ... not a bpt.. he just made a comment about bpt's :)

skippy
31-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Thanks dudes got some stuff to look at,

Yeah no thoughts of using a BPT,
probably a KL-ZE but recently been looking at the KJ-ZEM out of the Eunos 800

The KJ- in Aus Spec cranks out 147 Kw (@ a useable 5500) it is a 2.3L supercharged miller. But only come over here in Auto.

Source a KJ-ZEM from Japan for 164Kw, mmmm.

I believe a KL-ZE is hard to get in manual so maybe not much of a difference in that respect.

Thing is the KL and my current KF where deisgned at the same time and I am lead to believe are very similar in many regards, which helps a lot.

Also I only know one thing about superchargers, they make you go faster, how do they do it??????

Now to find an engineer.

thanks for you help,

Sorry for any confusion.

lamby1986
31-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Also I only know one thing about superchargers, they make you go faster, how do they do it??????

in the world of basics, superchargers and turbos do the same thing, except a supercharger is directly run from the engine (usually with a belt or chain) while a turbo works on exhaust gases moving past it. the basic pro of a supercharger is no lag as it runs faster with engine rpm, and the con being it saps power to make power.

chicaboo
31-12-2004, 10:06 AM
maybe if your lucky the KL-ZE and KJ-ZEM share the same bell housing and spline on the crank, then you could use your existing gearbox and clutch assembly perhaps? This was so much easier on older cars...
I think Boosted Batman was going to consider going up to the KJ-ZEM, maybe he can tell you about your gearbox options? He's done some great stuff with his Crank sensor plate too! I can't wait to hear how much power he gains from adding the new underdrive pulley with the custom plate...

Gav.

chicaboo
31-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Oops, you have a KF-01, that might be a little different then...

boostedbatman
03-01-2005, 09:06 AM
From all the research I have made the KJ never made it to manual and no LSD the smarter option is the KL-ZE and you can now get a clutched supercharger kit (yay power on demandl) to bolt on for 6,9 and even 12psi with claims that the addition of a Phantom Grip Or Quaife LSD the gearbox will handle 350-400whp (yowzers).
http://mrspeed.biz/products/sc/scfaq.aspx

The parts inventory for modifying a KL seems to be a lot safer than the KJ ( check the threads on mx6.com ) but no biggie the Batmobile will be taking a break early in the year for a new engine package/big brake kit/ body and paint loving and some new wheels plus some interior tweaks but that depends on the budget , or more time...

To fit the KL Lighweight Underdrive Crank Pulley some massaging with a grinder is require on the KF-ZE so I will wait and fit it straight on to the new engine setup and save the extra headaches.

Mr MX6
28-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks dudes got some stuff to look at,

Yeah no thoughts of using a BPT,
probably a KL-ZE but recently been looking at the KJ-ZEM out of the Eunos 800

The KJ- in Aus Spec cranks out 147 Kw (@ a useable 5500) it is a 2.3L supercharged miller. But only come over here in Auto.

Source a KJ-ZEM from Japan for 164Kw, mmmm.

I believe a KL-ZE is hard to get in manual so maybe not much of a difference in that respect.

Thing is the KL and my current KF where deisgned at the same time and I am lead to believe are very similar in many regards, which helps a lot.

Now to find an engineer.

thanks for you help,

Sorry for any confusion.

I don’t want to doubt your ability.. But you won’t get a miller in there ezily.. will cost a Sheet load of cash..
The ze will just slot in a bolt up to your manual box that is in your car already..
The ecu loom is what determines what trans you are using an as you aren’t swapping that over .. put it out of your mind..
And yea bugger the law. .you can’t tell the difference.. (OK if you look at the motor numbers you can but that only happens at the pits.. )
And even then you can just try the ‘my motor shat its self so I got a low K jap import replacement” line..
You will have to make up a custom intake as the manifold/throttle body is in a different position.. and the battery will be a bit of a squeeze..
(A KLDE (Aspec) will slot in as well. .but not as much go)..
good luck mate ..

Mr MX6
28-01-2005, 11:14 PM
And you can fit an aftermarket super charger to a ZE if you want have a look on mx6.com .. for want of a better explanation. A supercharger is a belt driven
Turbo..
It gets powered/turned by the crank (not the exhaust) and blows/compresses air for the intake..
Just like an accessory like AC or power steering..