PDA

View Full Version : supercharger problem

astina boi
02-01-2005, 02:09 PM
hey guys, many of u mite be familiar with my car dilema astina the yellow one. and its time for a bit of power to go into her, so i talked it over with my brother who is a mechanic and we decided on a supercharger for her but our problem is i dont have much room to fit one and i have a small budget and thats why we choose the supercharger not the turbo, so if any of u guys know where a good place would be to ring up and get some prices from or wat not let me know, were only looking for about a 30kw increace for the moment so nothing huge and that way i shouldnt have to chage any internals. thanks guys!

twilightprotege
02-01-2005, 03:48 PM
if you're only looking for 30kw, why not go NA or N2O?

chipa
02-01-2005, 09:16 PM
And if you got a BJ you're almost certainly going to have to get rid of your a/c. I don't think anyone has managed to install a supercharger without removing it for space...

boostedbatman
03-01-2005, 07:37 AM
CAI
Exhaust
Camshafts
Ported and polished head
Programmable ECU
Superchargers arent a modification for the inexperienced and cost a lot more to set up than simple tuning modifications and if 30kw is all your after the supercharger/turbo route should be left in the back corner of the shed.
There ar plenty of guys on these threads with an extra 30kw atw so get to talking to others and save yourself the headache and budget as youd be amazed how many pennies the forced induction route will swallow for such minimal gains
Thats not to say that other mods are cheap but you will have less headaches and dramas as you can find bolt on tried and tested parts.

astina boi
03-01-2005, 02:29 PM
yea well my budget is $500 and im looking for ruff 20-30 kw so were and wat do i look at

pr1mo
03-01-2005, 02:37 PM
hmm what kind of exaust mods does dilema already have?

chipa
03-01-2005, 03:25 PM
I hate to ruin your day but $500 is waaaaay too small a budget... you might be able to get ~10kw increase with some headers for that money... maybe a better air filter as well....

I don't know of many FI installs that cost less than $3000-4000, and even than there is always more that can be done to make it a great install.

Rupewrecht
03-01-2005, 05:25 PM
for $500 there's no way you'd be able to go FI (be it supercharger or turbo)

as bootybatman said:

CAI
Exhaust
Camshafts
Ported and polished head
Programmable ECU

but you wouldn't be able to get the ECU as well for under 500

realisitically, i'd do the (reground) camshafts and port n polish the intake/inlet manifold and head, as i think your car already has extractors/exhaust

i don't think you'd get 30kw out of that, but you'd be a lot closer

astina boi
03-01-2005, 09:08 PM
um i got a good exhuast alredy and i have genie extractors, k&n air filter, i rang jakes performance and they said for about 450 i can get alil second hand supercharger. so yea but i dunno if i should go wit it

Rupewrecht
03-01-2005, 09:27 PM
how you going to run it?

there's been talk that you can remove the aircon and put the supercharger down there, but as far as i know it's never been done.

platypus
03-01-2005, 09:30 PM
but unfortunently its like upgrading brakes

it only costs about $500 for a set of bigger discs (front axle)

then labour
then making new mounts up for the calipers
sourcing better calipers
buying new padsfor above calipers

_________

where in your case, you will probably want to mount the super charger
have an ECU to run it
put a cooler on (why not)
have the car tuned
have it complianced (this will be a large slice)

etc etc

then the rest of the costs when something didn't work out

boostedbatman
04-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Theres a bloody good point "ECU" I hope you dont think your stock ECU will run the supercharger so have you thought about what management you will use, and do you think that the plumbing will come free with your supercharger and bolt straight to your engine :roll:
Usually the cheap superchargers are Positive Displacement (PD) which means they will bolt directly to your Intake manifold (albeit with some serios modification and a cusyom backing plate)

My recommendation is to not get too excited about dodgy cheap performance parts or install as you engine isn't cheap to replace when its buggered, do youself a favour and Kick your mechanic mate in the bollocks and take your time with your upgrades and do them right, it may take longer and cost more but you will not only save money in the long run but have a happier, more powerful engine to boot
I dont mean to be harsh but people do recommend strange things when its not their car or their money. :? "write that Down"

-BraXta-
04-01-2005, 08:52 PM
i would have to agree with the man... batman =P

lol well there is alot more involved than just puttin in a supercharger..

Its like saying... im gonna but a 2.5 and it bolts straight in and i dont need to do anything else..

Theres lots more hidden costs that a Mechanic would try to suck you in by sayin... oh i can give you this one for cheap..... then they will wait for the agreement on the install then when they have your car stripped say... oh and by the way....

platypus
04-01-2005, 09:01 PM
..... then they will wait for the agreement on the install then when they have your car stripped say... oh and by the way.... cars run better on watermelon juice?

he did say it was a mate of his, which is whats got me

BigMal
04-01-2005, 09:40 PM
If you are really interested in it have a read at what the MX5 guys
do on their low boost setups. You can use either a 5th injector or
a variable rate FPR that will increase pressure thus increasing fuel
when on boost. As said it has never been done before on an Astina
I looked at it but just decided to go turbo in the end.

boostedbatman
05-01-2005, 04:27 AM
If you only have $500 then dont get too power hungry or greedy.
Accept and Do just like everybody else

pr1mo
05-01-2005, 10:26 AM
If you are really interested in it have a read at what the MX5 guys
do on their low boost setups. You can use either a 5th injector or
a variable rate FPR that will increase pressure thus increasing fuel
when on boost. As said it has never been done before on an Astina
I looked at it but just decided to go turbo in the end.

nahhh a guy in new zealand did the 5th injector on his black BPT BG astina if i remeber correctly..he sold if cuz he destroyed a few gearboxes tho :(

skippy
05-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Ahh Dilema,
Good to see you here,
Remember seeing it in AutoSalon Mag, very nice car Go You Hardtop,

Anyway as I recall you had a totally uncovered Pod filter, Very small bucks to rig up Cold Air Induction for it, maybe even a nice heat sheild, there is power to be had if yours is currently sucking in the hot stuff. Hell u can do it for free if you got some tools + a mate who’s a plumber.

Which brings me to IMHO the third option for forced induction, Ram Air style CAI.

Basically instead of the CAI blowing nice fresh air forced from the front of the car ONTO the Filter as is the norm,
you could have one that the pipe from the front goes straight into a filter (pod or panel) with no Air escaping around it, then thru the filter and into your engine. The Air is being pushed in by the pressure from the front of the car instead of the engine having to suck it in.

I am planning on doing this, hopefully very dam soon, but have to wait till my 4 month respray is over so I can give AAMI the finger and get insurance elsewhere.
FYI AAMI will not insure any type of CAI.

skippy
05-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Dunno about your front bar but the standard one has a hole that will be perfect (Next to Left Fog light).

project.r.racing
06-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Hey guys, I think the mechanic was his brother. So could you be alittle nicer. It may offend.

I'd be looking at "cams + head work" for an extra 7-10kw at the hoops.

pr1mo
06-01-2005, 09:18 AM
yeah how much would cams/headwork cost? might be worth while doing when my timing belt is done. rod> could extreme rotaries do this??

cheers mike

boostedbatman
07-01-2005, 04:24 AM
Which brings me to IMHO the third option for forced induction, Ram Air style CAI.

Basically instead of the CAI blowing nice fresh air forced from the front of the car ONTO the Filter as is the norm,
you could have one that the pipe from the front goes straight into a filter (pod or panel) with no Air escaping around it, then thru the filter and into your engine. The Air is being pushed in by the pressure from the front of the car instead of the engine having to suck it in.

I am planning on doing this, hopefully very dam soon, but have to wait till my 4 month respray is over so I can give AAMI the finger and get insurance elsewhere.
FYI AAMI will not insure any type of CAI.
A bit like this you think :D
http://www.users.on.net/~gavinstapleton/AstinaGT%20Cruise%20-%2004%2012%2011%20(16).JPG
Suck like a good little girl :twisted:

tidy protege
10-01-2005, 01:01 PM
hey champ for 500 bucks id drop the cheap supercharger idea, you have a high quality car dont comprimise its quality but going on the cheap with a super charger set up.

If I was you id do some NA mods like the cams, work on your cold air induction,etc and later when you have some pennies save up and do it properly if you go turbo or supercharger's either way you will be happy but as it has been pointed out its not a common path to supercharge our cars but hey it would be pretty cool for someone to do something a little different. Have you looked at later doing a BPT or BPD conversion.

What ever in the end if you do things like cams, cold air induction stuff you could still use that stuff if you deciede to turbo your car.

Goodluck champ and I look foward to hearing more and seeing more of your car.

Cheers, Craig

chicaboo
10-01-2005, 07:58 PM
I know you already have most of the hohum mods already, but Twilight has gained 33+kW atw (~72>95kW atw) from: Injen CAI, match ported manifold & head, Ivan Tighe intake/exhaust cams, leads/plugs/grounding, AWR headers, and 2.5" exhaust. Now Andy is losing power (or not gaining as much as he could rather) because of the 2.5" exhaust. Now this is a problem now, but when he has engine management (a la MicroTech LT8s) he will have a dynamo on his hands! Add another 10kW perhaps? And then there is still the lightened flywheel and underdrive pulley to come yet (before the engine management upgrade).
My car has a nice amount of mods currently, but it doesn't do squat because I have worked backwards and not done the exhaust yet, I have a huge bottleneck problem! This is only because I did the mods as they became available 2nd hand or where right at the time... But when I'm done I'll post all my dyno results for all to criticise and learn from, when I am satisfied I have done enough.

Gav.

Cosmo Dude
23-01-2005, 06:12 PM
I had a look today at Flyin Miata.
They are developing their supercharger kit. It's quite comprehensive but laughs at your $500.
http://www.flyinmiata.com/images/misc_images/ubercharger/IMG_2332.jpg (http://www.flyinmiata.com/news/ubercharger.php)
It may fit an Astina with arevised air filter.

chicaboo
28-01-2005, 08:13 PM
That thing absolutely needs to be adapted to fit the BJII 1.8! And I don't see any reason why one would need to lose an accessory with it, it just needs to reasonably clear the firewall...

platypus
28-01-2005, 11:19 PM
that would be ok gav, but you might want to check the pulley clearance...

when i was looking at the 1.8 5 minutes ago, there was buckley hope of putting other pulleys onto the end of the crank... without hitting the side of the engine bay...

chicaboo
29-01-2005, 07:38 AM
Yeah, it looks easy seeing it sitting on engine up in the air like that. But I noticed the 1.6s engines sit further forward in the bay and have much better clearance behind the engine to fit a supercharger. It would be a nice effort if it could be done though...

Gav.