PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel grip needs rebuild

boostedbatman
07-01-2005, 06:08 AM
My steering wheel is having a hard time
The externalgrip is laminating from the metal ring. I would like to know if anyone knows where you can go to get the rubber rebuilt, I am sick of glueing it back on and wouldnt mind it being rebuilt with the possibility of having it leather bound. When the car gets hot in the sun the glue starts to fail and about every 3 monts the rubber warps, lifts and starts to crack. I wouldnt mind the wheel off an MX5 SP but with no guarantee of fit I would rather fix the original
And I dont want a non airbag aftermarket sports steering wheel because its not legal (neithers my driving :twisted: )

$IK323
07-01-2005, 07:40 AM
hey batman, I've been told by someone on the forum that the MX5 steering wheels fit the BJ and BJII astina's cause he's got one in his sp20 himself. I live in Brisbane being trying to find a mx5 wheel but no luck so far. If you manage to find one somewhere ask if they have 2 cause I'm interested myself. I was thinking about customizing the stock wheel but would prefer the tiny mx5 wheel...so let me know what you decide

Rupewrecht
07-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Welcome to the world of BA steering wheels :roll:

You could try taking it to a Dashboard repair place, or maybe a retrimmer.

mrpayner
07-01-2005, 12:19 PM

Same thing happened to boyd's 97 laser.. the dude made a small incision in the back of the wheel and pumped her full of glue [don't know what it was though]. It felt slightly thicker but maybe that's only because it wasn't moving. Mine is letting go at about the 2 o'clock position too.. :(

AP

CityEnd
07-01-2005, 12:47 PM
i never had this problem, until someone else on this forum brought it up ages ago, so i gave it a hard twist and it came unstuck.. oops.. but it doesn't really bother me, as i usualy drive with my hands on 4.40 and those sections r pretty secure.

but i think it's a good excuse to get a new steering wheel.. :) i wouldn't mind one like dans.. =)~~

Cosmo Dude
07-01-2005, 01:25 PM
I was thinking of sending mine for leather binding as 18+ years of sun have taken their toll. This way I get a leather wheel that is 100% legal.
I believe SAAS in Braeside Vic. will do the job but I'm not sure they are still in that area.

boostedbatman
08-01-2005, 05:32 AM

You could try taking it to a Dashboard repair place, or maybe a retrimmer.
I was hoping they would be able to do it , will give them a call. What have you done with your wheel Dan?
So whats the chance/ probability an MX5 wheel will fit a BA?

mrpayner
08-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Dan has a rather tasty Isotta wheel with a collapsable boss kit.. In order for an aftermarket wheel to be legal you must have a collapsable boss kit.

Regards,
AP

Rupewrecht
08-01-2005, 06:26 PM
yep, as adam said :)

http://www.shockdesign.com.au/rupewrecht/astina/dash/astina_dash_v2_install_day.jpg

the old one being stuffed just gave me the excuse to replace it :)

and i didnt have an airbag as standard, so no problem there

-BraXta-
09-01-2005, 09:52 PM
yes.... i got a similar problem...cept that im missin a chunk off my wheel... and yes its gettin worse...tho it turns out a new Mazda steering wheel for the airbag ... without the airbag centre is 280 bucks new..

found a wrecker with one... and he said 198.... so im just like... well whats the point of gettin it 2nd hand where it can **** up in like 2 months again... or just get a nice pretty new one.. and let it last longer ... im leaning more towards gettin it done buy a auto trimmer person and get a custom design to it.. but i dunno if thats possible...

oh mine is a hardtop astina too and i unfortunatly got the airbag.. so that makes life harder...

*kicks rupe for not getting airbag* lol

so i dunno what to do for myself now too =P

mrpayner
09-01-2005, 10:27 PM
day-am.. went to autobarn here in the rat and they have a remarkably similar isotta wheel to dan's for $395.. i'll be skipping that me thinks.

AP

Rupewrecht
10-01-2005, 05:26 PM
i got mine for $300 - Motorware in SA had a special in H4's!

SehnKhan
10-01-2005, 06:50 PM
I got my Autotecnica one for about $150, though I doubt the boss kit that I am going to be using will be a legal collapsable one. Like Adam said though, a small cut can be made in the back of the wheel and glue applied to reseal the area that has come loose. Might save you a fair chunk of money, still be legal etc.

pr1mo
10-01-2005, 09:10 PM
is the BA airbag steeringwheel the same as the non airbag steeringwheel just with a diffrent horn section? if so id imagine finding someone whos changed their steeringwheel to an aftermarket one in a 1.8 rather easy

cheers mike

-BraXta-
10-01-2005, 09:16 PM
nah ...

airbag has 4 spokes..

as a non airbag got 3 spokes..

so yeh... wouldnt work =P

Rupewrecht
10-01-2005, 09:57 PM
nah ...

airbag has 4 spokes..

as a non airbag got 3 spokes..

so yeh... wouldnt work =P

but different year BAs have differnt design wheels from memory - and i think the 3spoke BA one does come with an airbag in some years.

but i dont think it'd be reverse-compatible anyway

skippy
11-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Dam was looking forward to hearing how Dan got round that little piece of legislation,

Gotta say that is a nice drivers view.

skippy
11-01-2005, 02:42 PM
I have a V6 96 and a mate has a 1.8l 97,

his steering wheel is different to mine, yet both are Air Bag.

Can't remember exact details but atleast the embellem is different.

mrpayner
11-01-2005, 07:06 PM
That's correct Skippy.. 96 was the last year that the "two hands" mazda emblem was made.. then the "flying M" was introduced in 97.

AP

-BraXta-
11-01-2005, 09:04 PM
lol

I read somewhere that the

circle badge represented Rising sun...

and the flying m represented some bird flying..

Was in a Magazine or sumptin .. had all the meanings to Badges...

Like how mitsubi****si... represents a boat propeller cause they made boats b4 cars...

Rupewrecht
11-01-2005, 09:28 PM
and Toyota is a bull's head!

boostedbatman
11-01-2005, 11:09 PM
I always thought mine was an aliens head cos Astinas are outta this world :lol:

-BraXta-
11-01-2005, 11:28 PM
nah it said the toyota one is supposed to be just a T....

But when someone went crazy with a spirography thing.. =P

-BraXta-
11-01-2005, 11:53 PM
ok...

I found the Mag article..

Ill start with what it says for the logos its got..

Audi-
Audi is latin for 'Hear' The badges linked ring symbols the four companys of the Auto union consotium.... Audi, DKW, Horch and wanderer.the audi name and logo were revived in 1965 after enjoying a 20 yr break courtesy of a war started by one A. Hitler. Amazingly, The olympics havent sued for breach of copyright.

BMW-
Bayerische Motoren Werke was formed when 2 small Aero engine makers merged in 1916. Planes in the local bavarian Luftwaffe wore Blue and White at the time, And the famouse beemer logo depicts a pilots view of a spinning propeller painted in those colours.

Ferrari-
The prancing horse was originally an emblem used by italian WW I flying ace Francesco Baracca, Who raced alfa romeos when he wasnt shootin Hungrians outta the sky.. Francescos parents persuaded enzo ferrari to adopt the symbol after their son died. and its been on all of his cars bar the dino.

Ford-
The ford logo is credited to harold willls when his boss henry ford went looking for a suitable moniker for his company in 1903, The typeface was lifted from harolds business cards, The famous oval appeared in 1912 and was coloured blue for the 1927 model A.

Lamborgini-
Why did ferrccio lamborgini choose the raging bull? Because he started making tractors, which sold due to their bull like power? because he liked bull fighting ?
Or because it looked tougher than ferraris soft prancing horse?
No its far more boring than that . Ferruccio was born under taurus the sign of the bull..

Maserati-
The italian marque was created by brothers alrieri, Ernesto and ettore maserati in 1914. Their sibling mario - who had all the mechanical expertise of a tea towel but was a handy artist and al fresco painter - came up with the trident logo after being inspired by the fountain of neptune in bologna.

Mercedes-
The star with its three points representing Air,Sea and land, was first sighted on daimler cars back in 1909 and was intergrated with the benz laurel in 1926 to symbolise the merger between the 2 firms, the ring was added in 1937, and things at mercedes have been pretty quiet ever since..

Mitsubishi-
Mitsubishis history goes as far back as 1870, when the japanese giant first manufactured ships - well before it began putting cars together in 1917. the three diamonds in the emblem represent a ships propellers, which may sound a bit silly - until you compare it to the explanation for the toyota logo...

Nissan-
in 1934 the company that made the DAT (Forerunner to the datsun) was taken over by nihon sangyo co., Also known as "Ni-San' for short on the japanese stock market the name stuck like a fridge magnet to a pulsar. The logo driven by concept "Sincerity brings success' and the circle represents the rising sun.

Porsche-
Stuttgarts best know export bears the coat of arms on its corporate logo. The horse symbolises the citys origins as a stud farm, while the red and black stripes represent the kingdom of wurttemburg, wurttemburg you ask? We dont know either. maybe its where rapunzel came from.

Subaru-
Derived from the japanese word mutsuraboshi (which sound abit like mitsubishi) the name comes from the six stars of the taurus constellaton (aka Pleiades) which are intergral to the logo. subaru is the first japanese car maker to take its name from its native language. Luckily, "Tempura" didnt get up instead.

Toyota-
The three elipses that create the encircled toyota 'T' represent the 'Heart of the customer','the heart of the product' and the 'ever expanding technological advancment and boundless opportunities that lie ahead'
There is no truth to the rumour that it was designed by a kid with a spirograph set...

Thats what Speed issue 3 seez.... =D

so yeh.. if i get anymore ill post em... ..

(yes im that bored...)

CityEnd
12-01-2005, 12:18 AM
um.. did u miss mazda?

Nate
12-01-2005, 10:20 AM
i heard somewhere mazda had to ditch my logo cause renault filed a law suit against them for copyright ... dunno how true that is but...

BBM ... can we please have a picture of your wheel?

Rupewrecht
12-01-2005, 03:54 PM
i heard somewhere mazda had to ditch my logo cause renault filed a law suit against them for copyright ... dunno how true that is but...

yep, thats true - and they had to pay royalties to renault for every car made with that badge

CityEnd
12-01-2005, 06:59 PM
which badge is that? and why?

Cosmo Dude
12-01-2005, 07:53 PM
http://home.hetnet.nl/~pzj70/Mazda_logo_white.GIF
This cost Mazda $150 US per car.
How did Renault get away with calling their Scenic an RX4?
http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/mourrat/renault_logo.gif

Nate
12-01-2005, 08:21 PM
wrong badge you silly duffer

http://pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL389/1872888/3616026/80630171.jpg

lamby1986
12-01-2005, 08:24 PM
oh, now i see the similarity in the badges :lol:

the other two didn't look anything the same :lol:

-BraXta-
12-01-2005, 09:49 PM
yeh i know... it wasnt in that mag..

was in on of my others... but couldnt be bothered to find it =P

heheh

hmmm i didnt know bout the renault one n mazda one being similar... thats a new fact for meeee =D

skippy
13-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I thought Mitsibishi was a Japanesse Family/dynasty?

Same with Suzuki?

and some others.

-BraXta-
09-02-2005, 10:09 PM
why my wheel needs fixing (http://braxta-designs.d2.net.au/fuxored_wheel.JPG)

heheh anyways.. back on topic here..

i need a new wheel and if anyone can beat this... ill .... do a jig..

platypus
10-02-2005, 12:23 AM
hmmm have you tried eating breakfast in the morning???

BigMal
12-02-2005, 01:04 PM
The Mazda Logo change happened in late 97-98. Mine is a May 97 Build and
has the old logo.

Nate
12-02-2005, 01:14 PM
hmmm have you tried eating breakfast in the morning???

RAOFLMAO!!

mrpayner
12-02-2005, 05:27 PM
ooohhh bugger. being an airbag wheel doesn't help either... You could always try getting it re-trimmed with leather inserts? That might look alright. Might cost though. The other thing that you could do is get one from a wrecked astina that hasn't had the airbag go off in it, but you can bet on it being difficult to find.

AP

Cosmo Dude
12-02-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm about to put an older blue wheel in frount of me. My grey one is breaking apart.
I almost had a sweet drift thing happening today but the broken wheel got in the way.

Cosmo Dude
14-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Oh well, just got so over the old dodgie wheel today as I was driving by the wreckers. Also had other questions :rolleyes:

God bless Mazda for never changing the steering wheel boss :D

ssman
09-03-2005, 05:51 PM
I thought Mitsibishi was a Japanesse Family/dynasty?

Same with Suzuki?

and some others.
mistubishi means three diamonds in japanese.....thaught i would just throw it in...i speak japanese as a second language and my wife is japanese