PDA

View Full Version : Which brake pads?

coldie123
06-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Hi guys,
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but the threads on it seem to have disappeared... so I'll ask again :)

I need to get new brake pads for my SP20 at the next service, and I'm looking for options on brands, prices, etc. and wondering what everyone else does.
1. Should I get the rotors machined when putting in new pads? I've done 90,000kms and its my first pad change.
2. If so, should I let Mazda do it or will they rip me off? How much should it cost?
3. I'm looking for quiet pads with little brake dust and not too expensive. I don't race so I'm not worried about brake fading etc. but I do a lot of stop start driving in the city. What brand should I get? OEM or aftermarket?
4. What price should I expect when shopping around? $100 per set?
5. Where's the best place to get them from? From a store like Repco, supercheap? Or order some on the internet? Websites?

Sorry for all the questions!
cheers,
coldie

platypus
06-02-2005, 10:24 AM
as far as i rememebr your in sydney - so i'd recommend discpads.com pick up can be arranged from radcliffe transport, Auburn

my dad did his with bendix premium for $107.xx packing would have been $10.00 but i picked em up.. he has a 1.8l but was easy enough to do... how handy are you? there are also now a lot of places like repco that will fit pads for you free of charge.... and hey if you've got the time, they could do it - but pads are more expensive there too

i have been quoted by Kmart tyre and auto $140 for fronts only in bendix premium

as to their performance? the car still stops....thats all i need to know

arden
06-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Get EBC green stuff brake pads.
All i hear is good stuff about them.
a set aint cheap around $170.
but ya need to get pads for 93-98 Mazda 626 V6 as EBC doesnt list our car.

chicaboo
06-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Get EBC green stuff brake pads.
All i hear is good stuff about them.
a set aint cheap around $170.
but ya need to get pads for 93-98 Mazda 626 V6 as EBC doesnt list our car.Hey Arden, do you reckon those pads would fit my 1.8?

Gav.

arden
06-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Not really sure mate.
Spose u have to find out if u 1.8 has the same pads as the 2.0.

platypus
06-02-2005, 01:26 PM
same brakes, different stud pattern from what i saw...

coldie123
06-02-2005, 11:03 PM
thx ahb11m, i'll check out the site. i think i should be able to change the pads myself, but was just wondering if i should get the rotors machined as well?

arden, where can i get the EBC ones from?

arden
06-02-2005, 11:17 PM
arden, where can i get the EBC ones from?

Tirerack.com has them but not sure if they ship to oz.
u mite want to pm wrw-sydney of ozmazdaclub.com
as he often orders the ebc green stff from u.k for members.

Nate
07-02-2005, 02:43 PM
one word for you ... LUCAS ... they are one of the cheapest pads on the market and by far one of the best of the cheaper end ... only downside is they are a bit dusty ...

twilightprotege
07-02-2005, 02:55 PM
a bit???? ha!

-BraXta-
07-02-2005, 07:59 PM
i got QBAs ... a mate of mine gets em for dirt cheap.. they leave no brake dust and are kevlar based... and yeh they are cool =D

coldie123
07-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Should I get my rotors machined?

platypus
07-02-2005, 10:47 PM
sorry - forgot to answer that one!!!

look its up to you, if you do get them machined get them to install the pads - for a car with 90,000 you might want to - otherwise your pads could squeal - otherwise the pads will bed into the old grooves and imperfections and make their own new shape

check how smooth the discs are and go from there - if you have noticable grooves, then do it - then again if they are really bad you might need new ones

coldie123
07-02-2005, 10:53 PM
cool thanks for that!

coldie123
13-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Hey i checked my rotors today, and although i can see feint lines on the rotor, i could barely feel them when i ran my finger nail across the lines, so i'm thinking i'll just install new pads myself and won't get it machined.
then i got to thinking... isn't it good to have very slight grooves on the rotor, instead of it being perfectly flat? coz the grooves will increase the surface area of the rotor and the contact patch between pad and rotor giving more friction and stopping power. it would also allow for better heat dissipation off the rotors. i must be missing something here...

platypus
14-02-2005, 07:47 AM
this is why there is a bedding in period, which is when your pads get notches that match the old rotor

coldie123
14-02-2005, 11:41 PM
i understand the bedding in period, i was just wondering why its recommended to get the rotors machined when changing pads, if having little grooves on the rotor is a good thing?

chipa
15-02-2005, 12:10 AM
i understand the bedding in period, i was just wondering why its recommended to get the rotors machined when changing pads, if having little grooves on the rotor is a good thing?

You really only need to get the rotors machined if the grooves are 'bad'. What is considered as bad I wouldn't know. Something you can often look at is an area of uneven wear indicating something aint right....

coldie123
10-03-2005, 12:10 AM
hey guys,
phoned around a bit, and got some prices:
mazda oem pads: F$205 R$107
bendix metal F$75 R$59 from discpads.com
bendix metal F$113 from repco
machining rotors: $50/pair from local tyre shop

apparently bendix don't make ultimates for 1.8 & 2.0L astinas?!?

can anyone suggest any other aussie websites that sell pads for cheap?

cheers,
coldie

platypus
10-03-2005, 01:30 AM
get them from www.discpads.com.au

thsi is where my dad got his for a 1.8l

cost him $84 front AND rear
and its about $10 postage

you will need to send them an email as they arn't listed on the site, and you can pick them up from ratcliffe transport, in Auburn

jcywong
11-03-2005, 12:46 AM
ebc green stuff definitely have for BJ 1.8 (front only).
but don't trust their catalog, the part number for the rear is wrong and they don't have it for the rear
also they aren't expensive at all
i got them for $127 front pair, bendix is cheaper but not reliable from what i heard from

Laser the Amazer
11-03-2005, 10:51 PM
My 2 Suggestions are QFM Super X's or Bendix Advanced

Both are low dust, quiet and a in the middle pad so to speak

from what I have read EBC Green Stuff only work when hot and aren't kind to rotors.

I have bendix ultimates on the Lynx and probably wouldn't use them again.

Rob

platypus
12-03-2005, 01:01 PM
My 2 Suggestions are QFM Super X's or Bendix Advanced

Both are low dust, quiet and a in the middle pad so to speak

from what I have read EBC Green Stuff only work when hot and aren't kind to rotors.

I have bendix ultimates on the Lynx and probably wouldn't use them again.

Rob
i put EBC in the same category as ferrodo - they are both heat dependant, stop well under the right conditions - and they eat rotors....

its a passenger car, so why put EBC on it? these cars really don't go that fast!!! (with the exception of a few BPT's, HiBoost etc...)

coldie123
12-03-2005, 11:15 PM
thanks for the input guys, but i'm just wondering whats wrong with the bendix pads?

platypus
13-03-2005, 07:50 AM
nothing is wrong with em

by the way bendix premiums - for a 1.8/2.0 L Protegé/Astina

DB 1362 BP - Front
DB 1359 BP - Rear

Astro Boy
13-03-2005, 11:03 AM
but i'm just wondering whats wrong with the bendix pads?

price vs return is a good one for starters.... bendix also don't tend to give much warning of fade when they are about to let go... and why would you choose an expensive pad that only does 150-550... when for a third of the price you can get a better feeling pad that does 100-650.... unless you're at the track EVERY weekend, save ya money and buy lucas...

chicaboo
13-03-2005, 11:10 AM
I'll be going Lucas, BB's sold me on those. I just gotta get off my arse and wash my car/wheels every week because they are dusty...

Gav.

Cosmo Dude
13-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Dusty,
Last time I washed my wheels I had rivers of black. It looked like my tyres were melting :o

Gotta wash my wheels more often :D

chicaboo
13-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I'll just tell everyone that it's shadow chrome!

coldie123
15-03-2005, 11:17 PM
thanks james for the part numbers.

Lucas sounds like good value... but i'm like you guys, i'm too lazy to wash my car regularly, so i'm worried about them being too dusty. btw where can i get lucas pads from? any websites?

I'm also thinking about getting Hawk HPS pads from the US, they seem to have pretty good reviews, and not too pricey either - US$93 + shipping for both front & rear.

platypus
16-03-2005, 12:15 AM
hmm they are supposed to be pretty good, sounds rather like an OEM switch over to me??

hawk blues or reds are the EBC equivalents...

so working that, i'd presume its comparable to the premiums??

Laser the Amazer
16-03-2005, 08:44 PM
The QFM Super X's I was talking about cost me $45 for the front set. and are a fairly low dust pad.

never heard good or bad stuff on Lucas Pads

Rob

coldie123
16-03-2005, 10:01 PM
The hawk HPS are supposed to be performance street pads, i.e. better than standard pads, but still designed for street use. so i guess its like the bendix ultimate pads?

Laser, where'd you get the QFMs from?

chicaboo
16-03-2005, 10:05 PM
QFM eh? I recall one of the guys at work rambliong on about these the other week. Worth checking them out I guess...

coldie123
16-03-2005, 10:48 PM
hey heres a pretty informative thread on brake pads:
http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36
mostly they talk about track performance, but there are some good info street pads.
after reading this, i'm pretty sure i'll go for the hawk hps