PDA

View Full Version : Hud?

Rupewrecht
24-02-2005, 12:35 PM
was idly thinking about this the other day...

does anyone make an aftermarket Heads Up Display unit for cars

something that'd fit in the centre speaker hole in a BA dash?

cost? difficulty of install?

just be a nice bit of rice ;)

twilightprotege
24-02-2005, 01:05 PM
www.defi-shop.com (awesome stuff)

JynX
24-02-2005, 03:39 PM
defi gauges are the bom but you wont like the price :)

twilightprotege
24-02-2005, 03:43 PM
the d-gauge ones are pretty cheap (i have 3). search on ebay

Rupewrecht
25-02-2005, 12:30 AM
hmm interesting!

why dont jaycar make a kit dammit ;)

cheers guys :)

Rupewrecht
25-02-2005, 12:55 AM
and how can ebay have NOTHING? bah!

twilightprotege
25-02-2005, 07:17 AM
ebay america?

Dogo
25-02-2005, 08:03 AM
why dont jaycar make a kit dammit ;)

off on a tangent, but I've finished making my jaycar boost controller last night.

hopefully this weekend i'll be able to put it in and test it :)

platypus
25-02-2005, 09:20 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7955742673&category=46100

you might want to double check this one with the seller, as they list a different item to what they have pictured

platypus
25-02-2005, 09:25 AM
or this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46100&item=7955198856&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

CityEnd
25-02-2005, 11:51 AM
dan, wasn't there a guy selling it on the team azm forum? or i remember reading on a forum,,, it was't listed by itself, it was amongst a punch or other car stuff.

i think it was $400 or something,, don't recall it that well, just remember it was 3 figures and out of my price range

Cosmo Dude
25-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I'd want to be sure you could get the film stuff that goes on the windscreen just incase. The Nissan Bluebirds that had HUD need a $1,200 windscreen as opposed to the $200 for the one without HUD.

platypus
25-02-2005, 12:50 PM
i'm getting the impression that this mod wouldn't be too grand during the day, but hey....

you could look into a darker patch in the windscreen - thats the only way i could see it working any good....

rod you don't happen to know what was special about the windsceen do ya?? i'm thinking exterior mirror/antireflection coat

twilightprotege
25-02-2005, 01:00 PM
it looks like the defi hud system comes with a stick on for the windscreen ???

Rupewrecht
25-02-2005, 01:58 PM
i did a search of ebay.com (no au) and i didnt notice that one. shame it's US only.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ssPageName=WD1V

but yeah, i'm sceptical about the day use of it.
but: http://www.defi-shop.com/product/vsd/vsd_top.html

platypus
25-02-2005, 02:14 PM
http://www.defi-shop.com/product/vsd2/vsd2_parts.html

yes it has display film... 2 of them actually

and ask if they will do worldwide... sometimes they are ok with it, but don't like ot advertise the fact

just make sre its all insured, and payed by paypal... for extra protection

-BraXta-
25-02-2005, 10:15 PM
i dunno bout you guys.. but i would find that windshield display annoyin.. =P

heheh dunno why .. but i get annoyed if theres just a smeer on my windscreen..... =P

platypus
25-02-2005, 10:20 PM
it can be turned off after all

chipa
25-02-2005, 10:40 PM
yeah but after you turn it off you still have that annoying little patch right in front of you! Sorta makes me think twice... even tho it would be wicked to have!

Nate
25-02-2005, 10:50 PM
i did a search of ebay.com (no au) and i didnt notice that one. shame it's US only.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ssPageName=WD1V

but yeah, i'm sceptical about the day use of it.
but: http://www.defi-shop.com/product/vsd/vsd_top.html

do a search on ebay oz and go to advanced search and then select items form every country ... that way you see everything and its all in aud :D

Cosmo Dude
26-02-2005, 07:38 AM
rod you don't happen to know what was special about the windsceen do ya?? i'm thinking exterior mirror/antireflection coat
The HUD needs something to reflect off that can also be seen through. Jet fighters use a bulky prism thingie, the Bluebird uses a specialy treated patch in the bottom right hand corner to bounce the display off.

An after market HUD would need a stick on film/patch to work effectivly but if you needed to replace the screen you would want to be able to replace the film/patch without buying a whole new unit.

Dogo
26-02-2005, 08:57 AM
i know tracey's s13 had an option for a factory HUD too. but I dont know if theres something on the windscreen or not.
at a guress I'd say the silvia would do whatever the bluebird does

i think i'd find a patch on my screen annoying too

Rupewrecht
26-02-2005, 09:50 AM
ditto. and mounting it in the speaker hole would make it halfway up the windscreen (without distorting it)

ah well, was a nice idea!

Dogo
26-02-2005, 10:46 AM
it is a nice idea.

maybe u can find someone who actually has a HUD to get a better opinion

CityEnd
26-02-2005, 01:42 PM
i know tracey's s13 had an option for a factory HUD too. but I dont know if theres something on the windscreen or not.
at a guress I'd say the silvia would do whatever the bluebird does

i think i'd find a patch on my screen annoying too

yeah i remember my friend's bro had an s13 and it had a weird rectangle patch on the windscreen, i asked my friend and he had no idea as he's not into cars. it's quite visible if it has it.. it's near the driver side A pillar.

twilightprotege
26-02-2005, 04:25 PM
if i were to get the hud, i've have it mounted in about the centre of the dash - so it's not in my line of sight but still very visible

Dogo
26-02-2005, 06:34 PM
i wonder if there's a way to project the wolf3d's lcd onto the glass ...

chipa
26-02-2005, 08:23 PM

DAMN! now that is a seriously cool idea! As long as the source has a normal LCD protocol you just need a HUD that support a custom input... hmmm internet search coming up!

platypus
27-02-2005, 02:09 AM
dogo:

i can't see why not, all you need is a lcd display bright enough.. from there of course this will be required to have its wiring in reverse order, and of course a suitable screen to display to

all in all highly possible

twigmeister and anyone else i suppose:

projecting the image to the center of the dash - good idea, but is the VSD suppossed to be functional or decorative???

the idea is that oyu don't have to look down so far, and can pull focus to the image

if you have a reflected image on a window you can focus on the window or the real image through the window? yes? good.....

HUD is supposed to take the eye movement out of driving, and substitute this for a change of focus - which of course will still allow ou to see the big picture in front of you

all in all... if your on a trck, do you actually want to see the display apart from the tacho??? once you see speed you start to **** yourself, and start to make assumptions based on the speed... when you start driving without it your lap times will most likely increase

having said that you would only want to cancel out your speed read out and nothing else...

i may have a look into this, as i'd like to be able to do it, but me thinks that it will kill essential things.. like the odometer... only required by law once you leave a track...

bah i'm goign to the fridge its late

Rupewrecht
28-02-2005, 07:35 PM

a complicated series of mirrors ;)

if i hadnt permanently mounted it in the dash, then it'd be no problemn - except fot the LCD not being bright enough. and it'd be getting a little small to read - apart from the bar graph setting.

CityEnd
01-03-2005, 12:06 PM
dan, wasn't there a guy selling it on the team azm forum? or i remember reading on a forum,,, it was't listed by itself, it was amongst a punch or other car stuff.

i think it was $400 or something,, don't recall it that well, just remember it was 3 figures and out of my price range

i found it!

Defi VSD Boost Gauge, lights up on your windscreen, The screen is slight smudged inside. dont know how it done it, i got it like that. Has a turbo timer with it but i havent hooked it up to my car so i dont know if it works. u'll have to get instructions off the web for installation.
$200

http://www.exclusive-auto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4152&start=0

platypus
01-03-2005, 05:32 PM
LED Lamps For Car (stereo dash light thingos) - Blue brand new
$10

and all i'm thinking is.... NIGHT RIDER!!!!

Rupewrecht
02-03-2005, 08:38 PM
chris - also, GPXXX was selling the VSD Concept one for $400ish

tempting, but naah