PDA

View Full Version : Headunits: Alpine vs. Pioneer?

Asterix
26-03-2005, 10:28 AM
I've decided I need a new headunit & narrowed it down to either a Pioneer or an Alpine.
Has anyone got any experience with either or both?
I'm not looking at running any amps/subbies, etc, just a new HU with possibility of new speakers down the track. Speakers are currently factory.

I've had a couple of Pioneer HU's in the past & have been happy, but the Alpine look like a nicer quality unit (aesthetically), not that I buy stuff with that as the major prerequisite.

The models I have looked at are:
Alpine: 9831 or 9833.
Pioneer: DEH-P1Y, DEH-P7750MP or DEH-P6750MP

Only thing with Pioneer (ie P1Y) is I find the animation VERY tacky.

Any help appreciated!

Dogo
26-03-2005, 06:50 PM
those alpine units are known to be very good. I'd stick to alpine :)

i wouldnt spend too much money on a HU if you're not going to spend on the rest of the stereo.

goldsp
27-03-2005, 07:49 PM
yeh alpine forsure , but dont go cheap cause a more expensive one u will be happy with for years, mines 2 years old and im still completly satisfied with it

alpine

tidy protege
27-03-2005, 10:17 PM
I have ran both pioneer and alpine head units in my car and i strongly recomend the Alpine deckim currently running the 9833 and wont be changing it anytime soon cause it does everything that i need it to do.

platypus
28-03-2005, 01:33 AM
its all gonna depend on what you want here... but i say go the alpine, cost is higher, but the features availabel in them are higher, while you'll sit there and go, but i don't need x or i don't need Z keep in mind your tastes change, as do your wants, so being able to be flexible is the way to go....

and after all taht i still think your dicounting a lot thats about... i've always like the VDO range, and a lot of their units have similar features to the alpine units.... jsut a thought

when you do look around, keep in mind the great trend to MP3 and also mobile devices... try and get somthing that will accept an AUX input, so you don't close your future options down!!

pioneer is also good, but unfortunently they don't make 'em like they used to... i have only rca outs working on my deck now, and witha horrible hum, whihc i'm sure isn't good for the amp

mrpayner
28-03-2005, 08:58 AM
i have only rca outs working on my deck now, and witha horrible hum, whihc i'm sure isn't good for the amp

Sounds like you might have the speaker cable running too close to a power cable.. I would try to separate them as much as possible. IE run power cables down the centre of the car, run speaker wire up the sides of the car.. Or a variation on that theme..

Dave [Asterix], I have an Alpine unit and haven't been able to flaw it yet.. I'm only just thinking now that i would like to get a sub and power the front speakers off an amp..

AP

platypus
28-03-2005, 10:18 AM
already did this when i installed it...

the hum only came out when the HU stopped driving my fronts, and i said hey what the f??? (they are on line out convertoers)

need a new HU sometime.... lalala.... damn big red ball hasn't come yet

Zed
28-03-2005, 02:55 PM
I'd go with the Alpine. I've run both in the past - my first high end deck was a Pioneer and while I couldn't fault it, my current Alpine HU is much more versatile in terms of function.

If you're not planning on running any amps/subs etc then the 9831 would suffice, even some of the lower models would be ok. But if you do plan on adding to your system later on, the 9833 would be the go.

rjktan
29-03-2005, 06:20 PM
hey i currently am running the 9831, friends have had and still have pioneer units but i prefer the alpine unit much more.

andrewgrazier
01-04-2005, 03:17 PM
yeah some poineer ones do look crap
just get sumthin with features you NEED not what you can get like a lot of them do come with extra features which ya dont need

Asterix
02-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Cheers fellas. Might go for the Alpine 9833!

tidy protege
03-04-2005, 08:08 PM
good choice champ, you will be very happy with that Head Unit

ROB-80E
04-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Just cause no one has said anything about em....I've always used Pioneer decks and always will. I've never had a problem with them and the people I've sold my old ones on to have never had a problem.

IMO, Pioneer are the best built decks on the market across the whole price range. But yes, the alpine deck is a very good unit too, they are my next choice after pioneer, so you should be very happy. ;)

Adam
22-05-2005, 11:17 PM
Just my two cents.

Always ran Pioneers in my Hondas. Full systems, and they always sounded great. I know the Alpine are really good too. But for me Pioneer.

chicaboo
22-05-2005, 11:59 PM
I've had a couple of Pioneer head units, and I just loved the way the the disc would glide out of my hand as I fed the head unit. But the problem I found with them is that they make the buttons too small and hard to read! Not so much a problem with the 6 preset things, but those 3 other buttons that I used quite often were a pain in the arse to memorise since I couldn't read the small lettering...

-BraXta-
23-05-2005, 09:54 AM
with my gfs pioneer... i reakon its stupid that they make you go through a menu to actually pause it..

My Clarion theres a pause button.. but on her pioneer you gotto hit Func 7 times tho get to pause and then press up... which i reakon is silly and unsafe =P lol

But yeh pioneer seem to make some snazzy decks tho... havent really looked at alpine ones aye... i might be soon tho ... cause im in the market for a new deck soon... mine is playing up =P

lol But i know you can get cheap pioneed decks on Ebay.. (what cant you get on ebay =P)

Mattzda
23-05-2005, 10:25 AM
I've had 3 pioneers HUs...all have functioned without flaw
I had one Alpine unit, always had problems with skipping, returned once for a replacement unit...same problem....got my money back and bought a Pioneer...no problems :)

2c

scott
23-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeh I've got a Pioneer MP3 player in the car at the moment, and I think that the only thing that I would swap it for is one of the pioneer TVs. But whether you go Pioneer or Alpine, you will get a quality headunit from a quality company.