PDA

View Full Version : Looknig to BUY an astina for my 18th.....???

skankhater69
09-04-2005, 07:39 PM
i'm looknig round its not till january so i'm jsut looknig at the moment. the model i want is round the 95-97 astinas...but the prices are like 10-12 grand. if anyone knows of any good places to have a look, or knows of anyone selling one cheap let me know. plus any advice is welcome i'm sure you all have some advice on buying cars. :confused: skankhater69@hotmail.com

CityEnd
11-04-2005, 09:37 AM
welcome to the club mate...

will u be after a manual or an automatic?

pr1mo
11-04-2005, 09:52 AM
sus out your insurance costs too man. i know it was hell expensive when i got my astina at 19. i ended up putting it in dads name :P

MeFo
11-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Well I can tell you that for a 92 Astina SP valued at around $9000, comperhensive costs around $1600. I'm with Aami with a rating 3 with a premium of $800 (was $880 but I did a skilled drivers course) but it's only insured for $7300. So you'll definately need to shop around for insurance and weigh up the pro's and cons. Hope this helps

Cosmo Dude
11-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Keep your eye on the trading post for your ideal 'stina you see them much cheaper than 10-12 grand.

Rupewrecht
11-04-2005, 09:04 PM
or try the auction yards - ther's some very cheap ones going there

www.pickles.com.au and www.fowles.com.au are a good start

pr1mo
11-04-2005, 09:52 PM
hmm yeah you can see by auction yards that you can kill cars like astinas pretty easily. im glad i had a tank KA laser as my 1st car for almost two years. my humble advice is that if your real confident and have been driving solid on your L's for 2 years then go a BA otherwise invest in something more solid and get your skills up in that for a few years then lash out on something sweet.

cheers mike

MeFo
12-04-2005, 07:41 AM
I'll agree with pr1mo. I'm 19 and been in 4 accidents so far. 2 in my car, only 1 of which was my fault. But what I'm trying to say is, that if you're too over confident on your P's like most people are when they start out, then you're better off in something a little more solid.

mrpayner
12-04-2005, 12:13 PM
solid = kingswood! :p

AP

pr1mo
12-04-2005, 01:49 PM
still i think its a safer option to get something early - mid 80's and build up your insurance rating and not have the stress of a few small dings constantly playingon your mind

robprice
12-04-2005, 01:59 PM
yeah ill pay you in that regard. dosesnt hurt as much when you ding an older car! just saying that if your gunna have a decent stack, the newer the safer, contrary to my bosses opinion that an xd falcon is the worlds safest car :)

pr1mo
12-04-2005, 02:31 PM
man that was proven back in the day when an 86 camira went up against an xd in a head on crash test.

pr1mo
12-04-2005, 02:36 PM
buy a BG astina or a NA TX3 laser maybe

robprice
12-04-2005, 02:54 PM
yeah bg not a bad option, bit of middle ground.

Cosmo Dude
12-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Just because you're a young driver doesn't always make you irresponsable. Some people think that driving a car is their right and not a skill that needs constant attention, it's amazing how 'accident prone' those people are and the weak excuses they come-up with.
I've also known people with older cars who believe that because their car is junk that they don't need to pay as much attention.

BTW Mike a '95-'97 astina is 8-10 years old and that's not a new car (it was a lot newer when you bought yours but that was many years ago).

I say that you should buy the car you want, just make sure you have the budget to buy and keep the car you want.

robprice
12-04-2005, 04:05 PM
never thought of it that way. buy a nicer car and it'll prob get looked after a hell of alot more, makes sence. i agree, people who have older cars are less likely to respect their car. And while alot of people do see driving as a privalige and not a right, you have to admit that young people who think like that are very sadly in the minority. The possible consiquences of not being a skilled and vigilent driver are far too often overlooked, especialy by younger drivers. More education definatly needed.

robprice
12-04-2005, 04:14 PM
poor kid's looking for a new car and its turned into a debate on young drivers :) im shuting up now.

pr1mo
12-04-2005, 05:48 PM
hehe i hate to drag the debate out but i said going a KA laser for example is a safer financial option. i wasnt calling our new member irrisponsible. id just hate to see a young dude get burned like a few of my mates have on cars and never been able to get out of the $$ rut.

robprice
12-04-2005, 06:02 PM
cool, i was just apologising for my own unintentional stereotyping. and bad spelling

Red Frog
12-04-2005, 07:17 PM
mate i lost control of a BA at 150+ km/h (late at night, showing off to a mate and my chick). Went about 40-50 meters sideways (thats alot longer than it sounds too!), then through 4 garbage bins, across about five front yards (taking out a few smaller trees), eventualy coming to rest against a pretty big tree (the tree ended up where my front passanger strut should be, maybe a bit further back. Hit it head on!)

fark....okay well james now can hand over the accident spoon to you...no offence, but i'm not surprised ur g/f never spoke to u again. she probably realised how easily it could have been her that was sitting in the passenger seat.
i am still young (not on my p's or under the age of 20) but i've never intentionally been so irresponsible where i was going to put mine or someone else's lives in danger. i have a lot of adrenline in me when i'm in the car, mind you, but i've known the limits....we have race tracks for that type of speeding, not quiet, neighbourhood streets. i'm not lecturing u here - i'm sure u've had a heap of it ever since - but i really hope you learnt from that day and how close you came to not only killing urself, but harming other innocent people around u. how easily that tree could have been a child's bedroom....it makes you really think.

Red Frog
12-04-2005, 07:26 PM
neways.....

back OT!!

i reckon you should get a silver ford laser for your 18th :) hey, i'm allowed to be biased rite? hehehe ;) but it really makes you feel a bit of an old granny at times, so you don't feel the need to go crazy in it (unlike the rush of a performance car or sth). or try a sigma....u physically can't go faster than 40km/h in that thing anyways, and they seem to withstand a lot of things. but don't go for a v6: you'll find it hell trying to get insurance for it, unless it's in ur parents name of course. i think aami won't let anyone under the age of 20 or sth insure a car in their name if it's over 3.2L or sth....or woteva a v6 commonwhore is....dunno sth like this.

mike_d87
12-04-2005, 07:39 PM
yeh, older cars kick arse in accidents. i had a '79 corolla and i lost control of it in rain and it actually went UP A TREE and then sideways about 15m and ended up on the roof and i still made it out no worries! only about $2000 damage, just the roof, engine and windscreen. sounds a bit suss but its true. the problem is rear wheel drive. if u decide to get an older car then try to get a fwd, its just easier.

if u choose the other way, i got my 95 323 for about 8000 from 11000. its only needed about 400 for a new wheel bearing and it goes well. 11-12 is really expensive

Pato's Astina
12-04-2005, 07:55 PM
i agree older cars r tougher, im only 20 and i have already rolled a car. i was driving a 1987 xf ford fairmont. i totally rode it off. it rolled about 5 times till it landed on its roof then 5 minutes after i got out of it, it decided to catch fire. it was buggered. and it was down a backroad from where i use to live in the middle of nowhere. couldnt get any help for an hour or so, fortunately i was alright just got a sore back afterwards. but no physical injuries.

since that day i have driven responsibly never been an idiot. but you never have enough experience ur always learning. so i reckon start off with a cheap car till u feel that ur fully confident with everything. bcoz nothings worse then wrecking a car.

Pato

Cosmo Dude
12-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Power and lack of power can each contribute to accidents, so can skill and lack of skill. Tires with tread are safer in the wet and tires without are safer in the dry. Most of us have 1st hand experience of accidents and near misses that have opened our eyes but really we have someone here who is excited about getting their first car and I'm sure has had all the warnings.

Let's be more positive and welcome our new member without all this crap !!!!!

robprice
12-04-2005, 08:21 PM
i said that 7 posts ago! No more.

pharkn-kb
15-04-2005, 02:11 AM
NA TX3 laser maybe

i have one of these highly recomend them, they look good an still have some decent performance to them, i am just about to turn 18 and i im looking at importing a BA astina .. just be wary of insurance and repair costs

Melbastina
12-06-2005, 04:50 PM
My first beast was a completely stock 86 323. That thing was bullet proof, I am sure if I treated my Astina like that it would be dead.

Learnt a lot in that car, then went and got me a newbie and learnt a whole lot more, but then your always learning.

Two side to the story I guess. Buy a newer expensive car and you will be careful cause of the $$$ involved, but accidents do happen (more often/likley) when your new to driving. Buy an older car and you may not be so paranoid about the $$$, and if you do have a couple of dings then, you can move on easily, but you'll have an older ride...

Good luck finding your happy medium!

mazdamanik
12-06-2005, 05:26 PM
I would suggest somthin that will give u good fuel economy with rising prices, and also most people dont end up keeping there first car so remember this and get somthing that will last you till you decide to change, or if your going to modify... i am currently having this delema wether to mod my BG or to leave it how it is and simply save for the car i want