PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger

W.A.I.
15-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi all, I have a question about getting a supercharger.
I have a BA 1.8L auto, with 2.5 inches exhaust system.
What would be the things to be done for setting it up with a supercharger?
Some of the people are saying bigger fuel pump and things like that. It seems like a huge project.
What if I just bolt on a supercharger and leave the rest as stock?
Thanks all. :confused:

boostedbatman
15-04-2005, 04:24 AM
http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3539
You cant just thow one on and forget about it. If you could do you think it wouldnt have been done before, this is a complex world we live in and we have to get used to that. There are 'bolt on' supercharger kits on the market for certain engines and they still manage to get quite exxy.

skippy
15-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Thats a question I've been menaing to ask

can you use the normal extractors if you supercharge?
Of you can't with a Turbo, but superchargered

And batman what are you planning on Pre cat?

Cosmo Dude
15-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Super or turbo charging results in the same internal added strain on an engine. The difference is that the turbo is powered by exhaust gasses and the supercharger runs mechanicly of the engine.
So yes Skippy you can use extractors with a supercharger if you wish and you will get the same benefit as NA.
WIA you need to do all the same work as a turbo conversion if you want a supercharger. That includes ignition retard on boost, ensuring the engine gets enough fuel, intercooling and strenthening the internals etc... Good news is that the supercharger delivers power in a way that better suits an auto.

MrShadow
15-04-2005, 11:01 AM
I like that last line, about superchargers better suiting auto, I've always wanted to SC the Hardtop. It'd be a change from all these turbos going around...

Pity I don't have the $$$ to do it.

W.A.I.
15-04-2005, 04:16 PM
It sounds like fuel pumps and things are needed to replace.
But then, if I run a supercharger with stock pumps and pistons at low boost like 5 to 6 psi, the stock internals should be able to take the pressure. My mechanic told me that any engines are designed for taking 50 to 70% extra power comparing to what it original is. so, low boost like 5 to 6 psi should have been fine tho.
Well, I do think the computer needed to be replaced tho.

BigBoyLemonade
15-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah the engines can handle it, just the air and fuel mixtures have to be right.

chicaboo
15-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Bolt on Supercharger, I WISH! I think the supercharger that Batman is getting uses a transfer rod to get the S/C across the engine bay so it fits. I don't know why people don't employ this method for the BJs... Anyway, apparently you lose power by going through this extra element, and perhaps there are other complications as a result, but if you've seen the other option of trying to wedge a s/c between the engine and radiator it's bloody rediculous!
There is a supercharger for the Miata/MX-5 at www.flyinmiata.com that could possibly be easily adapted to the BP 1.8? Worth asking the question anyway... I'm sure there will be some RWD vs FWD configuration hassles, but sure they couldn't be too bad?

Gav.

Cosmo Dude
15-04-2005, 07:57 PM
The flyin' Miata S/C kit does look well engineered. The question is is there enough room between the engine and the firewall, I'm sure there is but I'd like to measure everything first. It's also a good read to help understand that it's not just a case of bolting a S/C to the block and slinging a drive belt to it.

And cost...... Not cheaper than a BPT swap.

boostedbatman
16-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Vaughn, I will be getting SSAutochrome headers off Ebay especially as they have *stolen* the hotshot design. You will find them for about $230USD and they appear to be well built and the guys on probetalk seem to like them. I am not expecting that they will be a perfect fit but I am going to get a custom stainless 2 1/2" ststem built to match up to them and get them reshaped to fit properly while the exhaust is sorted.

FORD PROBE 1993 - 1997
MAZDA MX-6 1993 - 1995
V6 2.5L ENGINES!
RACE HEADERS!
Will fit any K series V6 engine : K8, KLDE, KFZE, KLZE
ADD THAT NEEDED HORSEPOWER AND GREAT DEEP SOUND !!
WE HAVE PROVEN INSTALL PICS, AND PROVEN DYNO GAINS
KL-ZE Mazda MX6 Ford Probe 2.5L V6 Engine KLZE 626
STAINLESS STEEL
NO RUST
NO PITS
NO CHROME PEELING!
HUGE 1 5/8TH PRIMARIES!
INCLUDES DOWNPIPE, AND ADAPTER TO EXHAUST!
INCLUDES COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS!
INCLUDES FULL GASKET SET
UNPUBLISHED DYNO OF 21 + hp , 22 Tq !!!
http://www.stockreco.com/Mvc-SUPERKLZE1f.jpg
http://www.stockreco.com/Mvc-KLZE2f.jpg
http://www.stockreco.com/Mvc-KLZE3f.jpg
http://www.stockreco.com/Mvc-KLE4f.jpg

W.A.I.
16-04-2005, 12:40 PM
guys, so, if i am really looking at getting a supercharger kit, what things should i be getting? i have no idea what should be done as there are too many stories going around. also, what kinda budget should i be looking at?
thanks for the help people.

platypus
16-04-2005, 01:03 PM
check out here for some info if you like:

www.capa.com.au

W.A.I.
16-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Guys, thanks for all the help. I think I have just dropped the idea of the supercharger. haha... it is just too much to be replaced, too big a project, and too much to spend. Thinking I might just as well keep my little ride as a NA car now. Sports cams sounds good to me.

skippy
18-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Pretty dam cheap to what I have been seeing,

Hmmmmmm tempting,

Very tempting,

That price 230 USD is purchase only not shipping yeah,

chicaboo
18-04-2005, 06:46 PM
That's a lot of shiny metal for $230usd! I reckon even if they are ordinary they'd still be better than what you've got...

platypus
18-04-2005, 08:30 PM
230 includes what again?

boostedbatman
19-04-2005, 04:32 AM
The shipping is US$90 to oz and thats still cheaper than the purchase price of the Hotshots

skippy
19-04-2005, 10:52 AM
That’s like half the price I have ever seen
230+90

$320 USD = $425 AUD ( if 1AUD = .75 USD)

Best I have heard is a rough quote to make some custom ones for $600, but I have reservations about them building them from the ground up, tried and tested doubles the value in my eyes,

But yeah other than that couldn’t find a way to get them under $1000 landed,

andrewgrazier
12-06-2005, 08:22 PM
shippin is damm expensive for something that big n heavy from the us :( pitty becuase the $$ is good