PDA

View Full Version : Petrol guzzler......help! - Fuel consumption

theZen
19-10-2002, 01:31 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid12]just got a 95 1.8 DOHC Auto 323f
read in the tech spec that it consumes 10.5l per 100km urban drvg
mine is at 14.5l per 100km urban drvg (that ~38% more!!!)

anybody have any idea of what's wrong, or is this normal

the car came with 16 inch alloys, non-branded cone type air filter.

tips are very much appreciated......[/color:post_uid12]

Critter
24-10-2002, 09:04 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Seems like a lot of fuel useage to me I must say, more like a Falcon.....

More tech-minded people than me would best comment but i wonder if the thing is running rich with the air-mass sensor out of range of the ECU with that filter setup??[/color:post_uid0]

-=SP20=-
16-11-2002, 03:37 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]damn it's sucking fuel harder than a $5 ho...

because of the way our ecu is designed the car always runs a little rich, unless you've got a unichip (luck bastardo Critter)...

I reckon Critter is right, it's gotta be that pod filter...
I reckon it's one of 2 things:
1) the setup you have is causing a lot of turbulance which is making the MAF think it's getting colder air than it actually is, there fore making it run richer than kerry packer :)
If you look at the stock intake there are these plastic grill things before the MAF, they have 2 purposes, they reduce the amount of turbulance by spliting the air and straghtening it before it gets to the hot wire sensor, plus they act as a protective grill incase anyhting ever gets through your filter...

2) They didn't reset the ECU after they installed the pod, sometimes you have to reset the ECU so it can remap etc.. for low to mid range revs... although the maps for high range are set and cannot be remapped unless you have a unichip...
to reset the ecu disconnect the battery for a while then reconnect, be carefull that you don't spike the computer. after it's reset it should remap itself the next time you drive it...

anyways I hop this helps :)[/color:post_uid0]