PDA

View Full Version : Jbl speakers - Anybody have any bad reports?

MrShadow
06-12-2002, 01:39 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid5]As the title suggests, I'm seriously looking at some JBL speakers for the car. Just wanted people's opinions on JBL.

Thanks[/color:post_uid5]

Provo
19-12-2002, 02:59 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]i got some JBL's for rear fill... some 6x9's...they are pretty good IMO. Punchy mid-bass...just a little harsh on the highs. Overall i'm really happy![/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
19-12-2002, 03:27 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Thanks Provo. I've got the GTO series 6x9 for the rear parcel shelf. Just have to figure out how to get them in!!!

Next, 5x7 for the front doors and some sound dead crap to boot, then, amp it up (next year sometime) :D[/color:post_uid0]

joe_mazda
24-03-2004, 06:07 AM
I've fitted some 16cm 3way jbl's in front doors and they actually out power my 6 x 9 infinity's. Serious bass and for very good price. Overall very very good.

popuplights.co.uk - for the mazda 323F BG GTi

MrShadow
24-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I now have JBL all round. The bass from them is awesome, even without an amp. The only problem: the car now sounds like a baby rattle during serious (and even not so serious) bass runs. Hate to think what it's going to be like when the Sub and Amp go in *shudder*

mrpayner
24-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Haha.. I'm so glad that this topic was brought up again.. I purchased the 6½" 3-ways on the weekend, and had one of the guys at work make me up some 6mm MDF wood baffles last night for the hole that is the 5x7 in the front doors.. Add a little bit of the 10mm spongy water proof rubber on the inside of the doors as some DIY sound deadening and voila!! Nice system.. I'll be doing it tonight. If all goes well, i'm going to buy the 3-ways for the rear doors too..

Once I take some nice little piccies I'll be able to show you the finished product. I agree, I heard the 3-ways on the wall and thought FARK!, definately shat over the sony and pioneer eqiv. speakers.. I'll let you know when the pics are available.

I'm looking forward to hearing it all.. Hmmmm... bass. :D

AP

mrpayner
24-03-2004, 09:10 PM
NICE! Well.. my front speakers are in and working a treat! All I can say is...

WHOLLY F#$KEN ****!! That sounds a bit of oright!!! I knew it would sound nice, but i didn't realise that these 6½" speakers could go so low!

Now that i've got the fronts sorted.. the same thing is going in the rear! Oh i can't wait!

Unfortunately my brother took the digicam to Melb this evening, so I don't have running photos of the installation, but I will provide a photo of the finished product on the weekend..

AP

platypus
24-03-2004, 11:15 PM
you think they are good un amped?? wait until you amp them!!! the smoothness in the speakers is unbelievable!!!

when you supply a good strong clean signal, they work wonders, and don't distort much

mrpayner
28-03-2004, 10:23 AM
OK.. It's all done.. JBL GTO 6½ 3-ways in front and back..

- Customised 6mm MDF wood baffles to fill front 5x7 speaker hole and to accomodate the new 6½" speaker
- 10mm spongy water proof rubber on inside of the outer skin to absorb sound waves [DIY Sound Deadender]
- Approx 50mm adapter cable to plug into existing blue clip so i can easily be returned to stock if I sell the car.

See pics below.. I'm very happy with the results and effort I put into my install.. And most importantly the vast improvment on sound quality.. :wink:

JBL front door assembly
http://www.amihotornot.com.au/album/photos/18162-2004328114414.jpg

JBL DIY Adapter Cable
http://www.amihotornot.com.au/album/photos/18162-2004328114351.jpg

AP

Cosmo Dude
28-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Nice job with the MDF, the install looks good.

mutek
28-03-2004, 04:53 PM
JBL Speakers are fine -- JBL subwoofers are a big no no -- i had a friend who wasnt even running his sub hard and within 2 wks the cone blew :O

get a pioneer sub -- they are a good mid-prced woofer... if u want a nice subwoofer go the alpine, clarion, kicker, JL (not JBL :D)

MrShadow
03-04-2004, 06:17 PM
I think i've already said it, but I'll say it again. Was sitting in the car listening to the stereo, and the GTO's go so low, especially the rears on the parcel shelf. The whole boot appears to act as a resonator. Bloody awsome. Can hardly wait till I get an amp going.

joe_mazda
04-04-2004, 01:25 AM
I installed a jbl 4 way amp and 12'' sub a couple of weeks ago. I am very happy!

Bass is almost unbareable, and that is just with one sub (imagine 4!!) Parcel shelf building is underway ready for jbl 6 x 9's.

Pics on site

popuplights.co.uk

Anyone who would like their car on the site email me with details to the address below. Include mods, future mods etc..

newcars@popuplights.co.uk

Your car will be up in a day!

Cheers Joe

scollinguk
09-04-2004, 04:03 AM
for the price they are the jbl gear is far superior then anything else (and actually are a very high GP product) so stores want to sell them and becuase of the price compared to the quality/volume we want to buy them.

Chris
09-04-2004, 12:14 PM
JBL subwoofers are a big no no

I strongly disagree with this comment, i have had my Jbl sub for almost 6 months now, i play my music bloody loud and the sub is always putting out clean loud bass and i have never had any problems with it. I'd say your mate just got a dud. I'm not running it at full power either. Just my view of the subs. If you want a pic look at my readers ride.

Chris
09-04-2004, 12:14 PM
JBL subwoofers are a big no no

I strongly disagree with this comment, i have had my Jbl sub for almost 6 months now, i play my music bloody loud and the sub is always putting out clean loud bass and i have never had any problems with it. I'd say your mate just got a dud. I'm not running it at full power either. Just my view of the subs. If you want a pic look at my readers ride.