15-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Those that have fitted aftermarket seats to their BA's where did you
get rails from. Dont want dodge want proper but dont need flash under
my huge ass you'd never see em :)

Ta

Mal

pr1mo
16-05-2005, 08:39 AM
mine were custom made out of billet aluminuim. depends alot on the seat you want to fit too. dave/tonys seats were an easy fit because they sat inbetween the rails so the brackets they fitted simply went in a bit and the seats were mounted low. my recaros were a diffrent kettle of fish all together. they sat directly above the existing rails so we had to build up not in if that makes any sense.

*just went out and measured height of my rails.

The rail closest to the door i have had to raised 55mm the rail closest to the centre console i have raised 20mm. this pretty much levels out the floorplan, allows enough space for the slide lever system to function correctly and will allow you to run a flat based seat. the problem with the existing rail is that it isnt entireley flat so you have to mill out the recesses in the billet spacer as well as countersink holes for both the rail holes and seat bolt holes in 2 directions. this is the bit that takes time unfortunatley.

definetley not something you can do professionally without a milling machine but you certainly can get the ball rolling by A getting the seats you want. B establishing a plan of attack C finding an aluminuim supplier (mine had to be laser cut especially out of a slab)

hope this helps

cheers mike

Dogo
16-05-2005, 10:11 AM
yeh on mine they are standard rails with brackets/spacers between the rail and the seat.

its one of the few parts of my car I dont have photos to show you, but can take some if u need.

BigMal
16-05-2005, 08:11 PM
So are the standard rails flat I always thought they were angled.
Would way prefer standard rails and have it as low as possible
as I am not little.

Rupewrecht
16-05-2005, 08:20 PM
you can get rails specially made for recaros/bride seats from japan for the BA but they're about $180 ea (pre postage/shipping etc)

pr1mo
16-05-2005, 08:59 PM
the standard rails arent dead flat. your could probarbly file the rails a bit but i wouldnt recomend it hence i modded the spacer to suit

BigMal
17-05-2005, 02:32 AM
Nah no filing for me. How simple a spacer, any pics would be appreciated.
A 35mm spacer with longer bolts sounds not out of my league.

pr1mo
17-05-2005, 08:12 AM
yeah i understand what your saying there mal. a 35mm spacer on just the door trim side of your rail and no spacer on the centre console side will work provided that the seat you buy doesnt interfere with the slider mechanisim on the centre console side.

if this is the case then i can probarbly arrange a set of blank spacers which have been milled to suit the rail. all youd have todo is get someone with a bench drill to finish off the job. all my allen key holes were recessed/countersunk in both directions :)

http://www.southernirrigation.com.au/images/p1010052.jpg

http://www.southernirrigation.com.au/images/p1010053.jpg

http://www.southernirrigation.com.au/images/p1010054.jpg

im pretty sure those 2 little blips near the fabric is where 2 bolt holes have gone up into the recaro. the alloy has had a thread cut in it to bolt the spacer onto the rail. if i recall correctly i had todo a small about of milling on the centre console side rail spacer as there was a spring anchor in the way.

cheers mike

Dogo
17-05-2005, 09:09 AM
i'll take some of mine for you.

BigMal
18-05-2005, 02:45 AM
Please do without pulling the seat out an looking at the moment I cant
visualise how it needs to go.

Ta

Mal

BigBoyLemonade
18-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Hey Mal,

Dave's seats are along the same lines as Mikey's. we just used a steel spacer. The engineer passed it and said thats better than some factory seats.

I would get something made by a metal fabricator as it will be strong. You have to engineer aftermarket seats even if you use bought rails.

pr1mo
18-05-2005, 03:25 PM
:eek:

BigMal
19-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Will let you know what happens. I have been eyeing off some seats on ebay
but need to wait for the bill from swapping Jynx's motor into my car and see
how much is left over. But if you guys already know somebody will go through
you save the 'You wanna do what into what" look from people getting a bit
tired of it nowadays.

pr1mo
19-05-2005, 11:45 AM
fair enough mate. cheers mike

BigMal
19-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Yes being a Full Grown I need to be carefull with seat selection :)

pr1mo
01-01-2006, 01:16 PM
any joy with seats yet mal?

cheers mike

Cosmo Dude
01-01-2006, 02:09 PM
You have to be careful with seats. A few weeks ago I pushed the 929 too hard through an unfamiliar corner, slid into a bump which threw me as far out of the seat that the belts would allow. I came down on the side bolster, broke the seat and bruised my ribs on the right side, last week I competed the job and did my left side. At least I know how long it takes for the pain to go away ;)

pr1mo
01-01-2006, 02:19 PM
yowch! 4 point harness required there rod :P

Cosmo Dude
01-01-2006, 03:01 PM
yowch! 4 point harness required there rod :P
Ummmm, no.
I was practicing drifting and those are the consequences. If it weren't for the rain I'd be swapping the seat out ATM. I like the rain but know the seat isn't going to last too much longer 'cos it's sitting hard on the seatbelt bracket.