PDA

View Full Version : BJII odometer

scott
23-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Hey all,

Im getting the new instrument cluster for my car on Wednesday. Just wondering if anyone knows if the mileage from my old odometer will appear when I put in the new cluster (im assuming that the mileage is stored in the computer).

Cheers peeps,
Scott

chicaboo
23-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Hey Scott,

The kms are stored in the instrument cluster, so you'll be the owner of a brand new 0km car! I put this theory to the test with the two SP18s when I had them both. I didn't swap the clusters for this reason, so I just swapped my egg rings over the hard way.
I'm sure you could get it adjusted by Mazda, but I'd suggest going with the kms you really have, since you can cost youself extra expense with servicing missmatches and most importantly penalties with the law! Plus it's hard to pretend you just stopped driving your car for 6 months if anyone picks up on it when they reference your log books...

scott
23-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Hmmm, have to look into getting the mileage carried over to the new cluster. Damn. Im actually getting one from the wrecker (only costing $130, much cheaper than from mazda) but the mileage is higher.

chicaboo
23-05-2005, 10:00 PM
OK, you could leave the buggered one in the car until they are the same km or a little bit better in your favour, or you could give Spazda a call and see what they could do with it before you buy it. Surely they could adjust the EEPROM in the cluster for these occasions...

Cosmo Dude
24-05-2005, 05:42 PM
One of the previous owners of my 9er was a smoker. The smoke buggered the film covering parts of the cluster and made it almost impossable to read.
When I went to the wreckers to get a new one I was told 'you know where they are, pick one with a friendly odometer. I picked one with 140,000km to replace the 180,000km unit in my '86 929.
I also have a 170,000km Jap-spec and a 230,000km aussie unit. I may have to try the Jap-spec one day, it has an oil pressure guage inplace of the volt meter (or boost guage in the 12A turbo models)

http://www.dmrh.com.au/images/hbcp2int1.jpg
This is the cluster I want though

Rupewrecht
25-05-2005, 10:47 AM
buttons buttons everywhere! :eek:

and i thought mums GD 626 was bad

bradsp20
13-06-2005, 09:17 PM
MMMMMMMM walnut trim